Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long should i allow for dot ie reg?

Options
  • 29-06-2003 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

How long does dot ie registration normally take. I had the domain name put forward for registration with IEDR exactly two weeks ago. Its not resolving and its not on their 'stalled' list. How long should i expect to wait.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

You should ring the IEDR first thing tomorrow morning and ask them.

Seriously, they are actually very helpful, the domains just cost too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by Eurorunner
    How long does dot ie registration normally take. I had the domain name put forward for registration with IEDR exactly two weeks ago. Its not resolving and its not on their 'stalled' list. How long should i expect to wait.

If it is not in their 'stalled' list and it is not resolving then the domain has not been registered. It could be insufficient documentatio or some other phase of the moon excuse. The best way is to either have the company you tried to register the domain through contact them or, as has been pointed out by nahdoic, contact them directly. The automated phone answering system they use is a bit flakey at the best of times but make sure you have all paperwork and e-mails to hand when you talk to them.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Thanks nadhoic/jmcc,

I'll give them a call in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Did you find out why there was a delay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Did you find out why there was a delay?

No.

I didnt actually call the iedr directly myself yet. I emailed the reseller who i booked it with. My first email after one week was ignored. My second email after two weeks was responded to initially - to say that he would find out what was going on. That was the end of last week.

I'm not in a mad rush to get this through cos im busy getting the ecommerce aspect of the site together.

I didnt want to lean to hard on the reseller cos im aware of the deal that resellers have with iedr and theres not much margin in there...so i understand that realistically, they couldnt be expected to spend too much time on chasing these things up.

If theres a problem with the paperwork i submitted, i want to know about it and get it sorted now. But i dont know anything.

I wish i had got involved a little bit earlier...then i would have realised that dot ie was not the way to go(the person im doing this for ordered his stationery with dot ie plastered over it months ago :rolleyes:) . If i ever have to register a domain again...whether its for me or someone else, it wont be a dot ie - of that i am certain.

Its just another example of
    a) irish inefficiency.
    b). rip-off ireland.

I really dont believe that a customer could have much of a preference for dot ie over dot com/dot net /dot eu.

Have you people ever considered getting together and simply refusing to sell dot ie's?:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by Eurorunner

I really dont believe that a customer could have much of a preference for dot ie over dot com/dot net /dot eu.

The only thing that the customer cares about is that they get their goods on time. The whole patriotic angle of claiming that .ie meant it was an Irish site was played up by the now discredited management of IEDR to cover their inefficient operation during the dot.bomb era when there was the biggest purchase of domains ever and most of them were CNO. It was their misguided and misconceived policy that forced many Irish firms to go the CNO route because it was cheaper and more efficient. I think it was Johnson that commented that patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel.

Have you people ever considered getting together and simply refusing to sell dot ie's?:

Some hosting companies actively persuade clients not to go the .ie route but will sell them .ie if they really want it. Some others just will not sell .ie for the simple reason that it is a waste of time and money.

I really think that it is about time that the administration of .ie was removed from IEDR to a more industry based and efficient operation. And that time is quickly running out.

From my view, the .ie cctld is facing serious trouble with the .eu tld. When that tld goes active, it is basically all over for .ie as the whole argument about .ie being a geographical identity equally applies to .eu. The .eu registrations will probably be hundreds of years (literally) more efficient than the current .ie registration process. I really pity the tech staff at IEDR because they are cannon fodder for the legacy of incompetent management and organisational structure.

At a guess, there are 20 new .ie domains each day. A high percentage of these domains have 'coming soon' websites and are often placeholders. Irish hosting companies have aready started to sell .ie registrations as loss leaders (they do not make any money on .ie registrations but instead make it on the hosting charges.). If you can register a .com for about €12 and have a 'coming soon' website and e-mail forwarding, why the hell would anyone go for .ie?

The classic example of why a company would go for a .ie is where the .com equivalent is gone. But even then the internet is a clean slate as regards the brand and some variation can generally be registered. Some IEDR propaganda claims that having a .ie says that you are an Irish firm. Perhaps when the IEDR were wasting money on high profile advertising, this was so. But if the public is not reminded of it often enough they tend to forget. IEDR has not been doing any high profile advertising recently. The .ie cctld could be doing so much better. It only has about 31000 active domains and the Irish owned CNOib estimates are currently in the region of 100000.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement