Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Forum Idea - Maybe....

Options
  • 29-06-2003 9:41pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering - if anyone would be interested in a 'girlie forum'?

There isn't really anything covering fashion/makeup/bad boyfriends / er...'wimmin's problems' and the like.

Not sure if I need to narrow it down a bit more, or broaden it a bit more though.

Would there be a place for it?

Also think and equal and equivalent 'Guy's Forum' could be a good idea...?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Hmm, considering the apparent gender distribution on Boards methinks that something like that would be subject to a lot of trolling..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

[que Skinner and Baddiel Unplanned Opening Music]

"It'll never work, it'll never work........."

[/que..]

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I agree, although I feared for the GLB board and it seems to be doing fine.

What is the female version of a troll btw? A trollette or a trollop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

Well I think if the forum went ahead more men would read it than women....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I whole hearitly agree, for the guys forum anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

been discussed here 3 times before I think. Unlikely to happen right now.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Isn't the guys forum after hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

If it was done I'd say make it private.

Might be nice, might be crap, depends on what you want to talk about, and if you're self-conscious discussing it when you know guys can read it.

<< Fio >>

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm really curious why the ladies feel a need for such a forum while the guys dont. Honestly, I'm fascinated by anthropology and that seems like an interesting question.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Isn't the guys forum after hours?

I hope not. Otherwise we would have to call the womans forum the "The ladies toilet", as Afterhours looks like one of those skangy mens toilets.

Although it would mean all the women would probably run off to the forum at the same time to chat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Positive points about a Girlie forum:

Some place to chill out without boards' various tiresome lethario's (vtls) (me obviously included) beating their chests and stuff.

It may encourage more females to join boards and help even out the gender gap.

Negative points:

It's fundementally sexist, even if it's for positive reasons.

It'd have to be private, otherwise boards' vtls would constantly post there trying to become the alpha male or something.

Careless gossip can cause bad things to happen.

It might leech some quality posts away from the boards mainstream (if there is such a thing).

Overall I'm pretty much neutral about the whole thing. But I think if enough females support it then it should go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Originally posted by amp

It'd have to be private, otherwise boards' vtls would constantly post there trying to become the alpha male or something.

Funnily enough many 'women only' communities do have quite a few male participants of the reasonably mature non-trolling variety, who don't try to take over or become the alpha male. It all depends on the culture of the individual community, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

There isn't really anything covering fashion/makeup/bad boyfriends / er...'wimmin's problems' and the like.

ER ... going by the above description, I don't think this is a great idea for a forum. (I am a woman and I hate all this "girlie" nonsense!)

You've already got the personal issues forum for any problems.

If you want a fashion forum, why not but I think it should be for both men and women - otherwise you're just perpetuating the stereotype of women being obsessed with their appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Can't say I'd be too interested personally, but I can see how other girleeees might be.

Although, if you make it private, how will you know who is female and who isn't? Some guys like pretending they're girls on the internet. It'd be like IRC all over again.

ASL?
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

28/M/Dublin...

*ahem*..

/me gets coat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mavedic

I don't think its necessary either. I'm female, and woulnd't really be interested in a forum for makeup/bad boyfriends etc. The available ones already cover my interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Bad boyfriends and "women's problems" could go in PI. Fashion and Make-up I think would make a good forum but are not only for women.

To be honest I don't think I'd know what to do with a "Guys Forum", anything I discuss there I could discuss on other boards. I don't decide not to write something because I'm afraid a woman will read it. I can't speak for the women but I'd hope it's pretty much the same. Also I coould see the Girls/Guys fora being empty because all the topics have been moved to more appropriate fora.

A Fashion/Grooming forum might work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I mooted this at least 18 months ago and it was slated. I do think the is some possibly some oppurtunites for fora that appeal to a / the broader female readership.
    Originally posted by Puck
    A Fashion/Grooming forum might work though.
    Yes, us nerds need our tips. ;)

Now if only we could get more pictures of silverfish .... eh, did I say that out loud?

Advertisement