Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Snap Up Kewell!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spud

We are talking about harry kewell not Kluivert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by spudz
    We are talking about harry kewell not Kluivert
    ehhh???, what or who are you referring to?

Good and bad news, Kewell is supposed to be meeting the Leeds chairman on Thursday - so that should push things along a bit.

If Barca get rid of Kluivert then they will be able to afford Kewells wages. They would probably outbid Liverpool and then just pay a portion of the fee each year over 4 r 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Who would do a better job for Liverpool - Duff or Kewell? My preference always was Duff, but GH won't splash out on him. I admire Kewells play all right and it's a step forward for the team but is he the out and out winger that we need. The fact he can play so well in the centre too would suggest GH could go back and use his idea of pushing the wide men towards the middle.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for Kewell coming to Liverpool but I would ahve preferred Duff

There have been several managers that have gotten the notion into their heads to play Duff in the middle or up front, GH may not be any different.

Also in terms of injury proneness I think Kewell may have the edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Houllier is after Duff and Kewell from what I know... and there are a good few reports filtering through today of Kewells wife house hunting in Southport...

So if you had both in the team where would you play them, just as a matter of interest? Personally I think I'd play Duff wide left and Kewell being our new link from midfield.

Barcaelona could be the new favourites for Kewell if Kluivert decides to leave this week according to sky sports. Liverpool are supposed to have offered Kewell 3million a year. Can bartcelona top that. They will be offloading Kliuvert's wages but will be bringing in another high salary player. That makes sense:rolleyes:

Also Chelsea have emerged today as rivals. With their new found billions financially they are in a strong point for the signature.

The Leeds chairman may not want to talk to them because he seems a bit pissed off with one of the teams chasing him - possibly them (I don't know).

• Advertisement

With Chelski's new found financial joy, they have become challengers for everybodies targets. It's all only paper talk IMHO.

According to koptalk.com, both Boumsong and Ronaldo and "early 2004 targets" of GH. Maybe they are plannign on saving some dosh and swoop both in the January transfer window. Saw Boumsong play last night on Eurosport. Looks like a solid defender with a greta eye for the last ditch tackle.

Unfortunately Koptalk also released news of the rumour that Kewell has agreed personal terms with Chelsea...

This is all dragging out a bit...hopefully it will be sorted soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

At this time of year believe nothing until you see the player in the shirt.

Sposs is right - still worth speculating on. At least its more realistic than something like Viera going to United or Nesta going to Chelsea.

Kewells agent was supposed to meet the Leeds chairman last week but that is postponed until next week, so more delays. Apparently Kewells wifes family are Stam Bridge season ticket holders. To counter that rumour she was house shopping in an area where Pool players live.

The press are messing with my mind:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/3044998.stm for the lastest on Kewell, meanwhile this chap would'nt go amiss at Anfield -
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/3044860.stm

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Apparantally Chels have made a better offer for Kewell than gooners and Pool, its up to him now.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

According to a guy on Koptalk, Kewell was seen at Melwood yesterday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The very latest on Kewell!:ninja:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/3048042.stm

Just get on with it!

Mike.

oh well could be a smokescreen but likely to go to Pool we'll just have to try and prize Duffer away.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

wouldn't it be nice if we got Kewell AND Duffer... too many options on the left for the pool? nice!!

diouf is the 5th highest assists in the premiership last season!! keep him on the right so!

we really need Kewell though!

just wanna take the piss out of the press I'm a chelsea fan but I find the press so funny.

Rooney is almost a done deal, he will play alongside Ronaldinho with Raul in a withdrawn role. They have brought in Pele to coach the forwards.
    Ronaldinho was quoted as saying "I have always loved Chelsea and could never have joined Manchester, not while old red nose is in charge"
    Raul added "This is the only team I would have left Real for, it has always been a dream of mine to play at Stamford Bridge"

Liverpool have been left dissapointed with the news that Chelsea have also completed a double swoop for Duff and Kewell for an estimated £40 Million. Kewell was quoted as saying that the £200K per week plus the gift of a small carribean Island (St Lucia) was not the reason he joined, but that he'd always wanted to play along side Winston Bogarde.

The spending will not end there Nesta, Davids, Vieri, and Owen have all been spotted
    in Mcdonalds up the North End road, the fact they were all wearing matching fur hat and coats in summer was seen as clear indication that the transfers were imminent !!

On the negative side apparently the DTI are investigating claims that Abramovic is inserting huge amounts of cocaine into Elephants backsides and smuggling them into the UK as part of the Moscow State Circus !!
    One source claims that the whole thing stinks.

It's true I tell you I read it in the paper !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

lol smuckers touché :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Liverpool will get neither get real :mad:

well Leeds have denied that they have agreed to sell him to Pool for 7 but his future could be decided in the next 48 hrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

www.teamtalk.com have it as their main news, he'll be a true red within 48hrs. hopefully but until i see him in the jersey... it'll be great for LFC, though i'd still prefer duff

The Liverpool Echo

On Kew
    Jul 7 2003
    By Scott Mcleod, Liverpool Echo

HARRY KEWELL is set to be a Liverpool player before the squad jet to Switzerland on Thursday for a pre-season training camp.

The Reds have yet to agree a fee with Leeds for the midfielder (pictured) but the two parties are believed to be close to a deal, with Kewell eager to become a Liverpool player.

The Elland Road outfit are resigned to losing the Australian international, but are determined to hold out for £7m.

Liverpool will see off the challenge from Arsenal, Manchester United, Barcelona and a late swoop from Chelsea for the player. Personal terms have already been agreed and he was expected on Merseyside today for a medical.

The Reds return to training at Melwood tomorrow, with the squad set to fly to Switzerland on Thursday.

Leeds are expected to make an announcement to the Stock Exchange in the next 24 hours revealing the sale of Kewell.

The 24-year-old is a boyhood Liverpool fan and fits the criteria set out by chief executive Rick Parry at the end of last season when he announced the club would be looking to add players with proven quality to the squad.

If there are no 11th hour glitches in negotiations Kewell will become Gerard Houllier's second signing of the summer, following the £ 3. 5m arrival of Steve Finnan from Ful ham last month.

If Kewell does become a Liverpool player his Anfield debut is set to be against Valencia on August 9.

The clash against the Primera Liga side replaces the friendly with Barcelona, which was cancelled last month after the Catalan giants decided to play Manchester City in their new City of Manchester home instead.

The Valencia game will be the last of Liverpool's pre-season fixtures before the new Premiership campaign gets under way with a home game against Chelsea on Sunday, August 17.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

And now the BBC - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/3048042.stm and RTE http://www.rte.ie/sport/2003/0707/soccer/kewell.html are reporting that Kewell will join the Reds after turning down the Arse and the PLC.

Happy days :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,561 ✭✭✭irishgeo

If this is the way deals are going to be done in future God help football.

I have seem less smoke in a forest fire.

Yes i am a pool fan.I think we have a hope of winning the league now. Might go down to the bookies and put €20 at 6/1.

i dont know if u heard that the liverpool doctor was flown home from holiday last week to sort out a medical,my brother in law is a scout at the academy for the younger kids,hes just informed me vdv will be joining us and a press conference will be wednesday.

This is getting crazy! :ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

If we got Van der Vaart and lost Kewell, I'd still be happy :]

Chelsea and Utd have made higher offers and I'm reading on teletext that his agent says he's very unlikely to join Liverpool (ITV)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by smuckers
    Chelsea and Utd have made higher offers and I'm reading on teletext that his agent says he's very unlikely to join Liverpool (ITV)
    You keep telling yourself that. :D

He has already told Alex Ferguson that he had no interest in playing for him.

Chelsea are becoming Spurs with money in terms of almost signings - Nesta, Henry, Kewell... :p

He was at Melwood today - by all accounts he'll be revealed tomorrow along with a few other players (this is what i've been told anyway, fingers crossed)

It was also just announced on the radio that the deal was finalised this afternoon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's quite the opposite actually, that story has twisted quotes from the official Leeds website. On the website, Kewell's agent says "The Liverpool figure that has been talked about I can honestly say is not one of the top two offers Harry has received. I want to stress money is not the motivating factor in where he goes as a player. At the end of the day, Harry will end up signing at a club that he believes is in his best interests, one he'll be happy at for the next four or five years."

Which means that although Liverpool may not be offering the most money, it doesn't matter because "money is not the motivating factor in where he goes as a player". Kewell wants to join the team he supported as a kid, and will officially do so tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

He already said that he doesnt want to join united after the way the David Beckham transfer was handled. i will be fooking de-feckin-lighted if we signed finnan, kewell, van der vaart, le tallec and the other lad!! fantastic signings of proven players!

Originally posted by Wolf
    Liverpool will get neither get real :mad:
    Your so clever:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

I dont give a **** who he joins. Liverpool arent gonna win the league this season or come close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

boo fucking hoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

I'm living on a prayer here that kewell will turn around and tell the world that he's staying at leeds.

I saw a ufo earlier, altho it might've been a flying pig. Whatever it was distracted me anyway and I was nearly trampled by a herd of reindeer pulling a funny sleigh...Ah god, please????

Looks like the transfer has hit a bump on the road or something.Reports this morning are saying so anyway. Apparantely Kewell did an interview with Channell 9 to announce his move to Liverpool to be shown last night. The interview was cancelled:(

• Advertisement

Liverpool & Leeds are still discussing how the payments should be made...the interview got held back because of it, the stock market must be informed first ...

Should be no biggie... with the other players being signed I honestly reckon we'll be top 2... hopefully top 1 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,561 ✭✭✭irishgeo

There is some 11th hour hitch in reagrds to how liverpool are going to pay the money. Bet it is leeds trying to stop themselves going bankrupt by wanting more cash upfront.

Leeds next to be taken over by the russian mafia.

From Koptalk:

Aussie winger Harry Kewell says he hasn't signed for Liverpool yet and that's why his pre-recorded interview with Australian network Channel 9 hasn't been aired.

"I have not signed a deal yet," said Kewell. "I'm not going to change my mind and hopefully they won't change theirs.

"Everything just seems right for me to go there and I'm looking forward to it. I've finally made my decision and the team I will be playing for is Liverpool."

The saga dragged on for what seems like an eternity and Kewell admits he won't be short of a few bob.

"My mum and dad always told me to look after my money!" he joked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Jebus, if this deal falls thru I'm gonna go so friggin mad ! :mad:

As irishgeo said there, it must be Leeds trying to get another few cent out of the deal. So long as that príck Ferguson has nothing to do with it I'm not too worried.

Originally posted by Space_Coyote
    So long as that príck Ferguson has nothing to do with it I'm not too worried.
    I don't think Ferguson sees eye to eye with either Leeds or Peter Reid, it's unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭marct

If this does go through we will have to ervive the 'Liverpool Fiction' thread posted by Wolf. And there will be much pointing and laughing:p :D

• Advertisement

Have been told the deal will be confirmed by 6 today...

Originally posted by marct
    If this does go through we will have to ervive the 'Liverpool Fiction' thread posted by Wolf. And there will be much pointing and laughing:p :D

Here here. I was waiting for someone else to mention it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Its great for ye all to be saying that but isnt it such a shame that they cant reach a transfer fee for Kewell.Anyway it would be a stupid choice to join Liverpool when your getting offers from Man Utd and Arsenal its not kike Liverpool wil ever win the Premership

yo kmart6 dude, you the man...

you read any of the above?? Leeds and Liverpool were still discussing the installment plan for the transfer, nothing else... and by all accounts its sorted

Kewell, like Finnan a few weeks ago, didn't want to speak to Man Utd PLC, Arsenal couldn't afford to buy him... Liverpool will win plenty of trophies while Kewell is with us, the premiership will be one of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 toughbuk

It will give us the much needed width with finnan and hopefully kewell and dont forget we have two french kids as well on the way.So things are look good, only hope that GH changes his style slightly and make us more entertaining next season

• Advertisement
Advertisement