Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Snap Up Kewell!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Originally posted by irishgeo
    Its finally done and dusted. 5mill plus 2 mill to kewell agents.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N140826030709-1649.htm
    According to Leeds report to the stock exchange it's £5M including the £2M for the Kewell party, so Leeds only get £3M for the player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Prof. John MacCensie is not a happy camper at all. He is outraged by the whole deal. They will only receive 3million for the player :p Class move from GH and the LFC board

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

It is a good signing for scouse, cannot honestly think why he chose scouse over Barca or Arse (he did not want to play for United full stop) but time will tell. One man will not make a team out of scouse especially if they continue their mentality of whack it up field to owen it will be pointless of kewel been in the team.

best of luck to him, he may need it! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

If they somehow managed to snag bergkamp, you'd see a revolution at anfield. Alas the git is most likely going to quit football if he doesn't strike a decent contract with arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

Kewell will help Liverpool...but they arent even close to winning the league.

I dont know myself, why Kewell didnt choose Barca or Arse or even Utd...hes not exactly Mr Loyalty himself since he was talking to Liverpool for the past 6 months whilst on contract to Leeds...

Oh and to the Liverpool fans who think you'll be signing Duff...think again...

Not gonna happen...repeat 3 times.

• Advertisement

If they somehow managed to snag bergkamp, you'd see a revolution at anfield. Alas the git is most likely going to quit football if he doesn't strike a decent contract with arsenal.

EH...can you blame him? They gave one of their loyalest footballers a kick in the nuts...BASICALLY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by 50Cent
    I dont know myself, why Kewell didnt choose Barca or Arse or even Utd...hes not exactly Mr Loyalty himself since he was talking to Liverpool for the past 6 months whilst on contract to Leeds...

Er... get your facts straight. Leeds told Kewells agents to find him a club 6 months ago. They did. Kewell never went behind the clubs back, in fact it was the other way around and how sweet it must be for Kewell to leave them with a paltry £3m out of it. And he chose to join Liverpool as, hard as it might be for you Man U fans to get your heads around, MONEY IS NOT THE ONLY MOTIVATING FACTOR FOR A PLAYER!
    Oh and to the Liverpool fans who think you'll be signing Duff...think again...

Not gonna happen...repeat 3 times.
    Are they giving away these Crystal Balls free with this months Muppet magazine or what?

Er... get your facts straight. Leeds told Kewells agents to find him a club 6 months ago. They did. Kewell never went behind the clubs back, in fact it was the other way around and how sweet it must be for Kewell to leave them with a paltry £3m out of it. And he chose to join Liverpool as, hard as it might be for you Man U fans to get your heads around, MONEY IS NOT THE ONLY MOTIVATING FACTOR FOR A PLAYER!

Eh get your facts right ****o. Go to ITV teletext pg 541. Look at what Ron Atkinson says. Its on page 6 and 7 of the 7 pages on Teletext.

He went on TV and claimed he had been in touch with Liverpool for the past 6 months....

Anyway its all there for you to see...
    Are they giving away these Crystal Balls free with this months Muppet magazine or what?

Are you dilerious and dont understand what your talking bout?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Pie dont waste your time surely you know by now the trolls arent worth it. Be careful though this one seems "fiesty" I like him/It already!

Its all there on teletext...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Trust no one.....

Most of the information of any of the services wether it be newspaper (tabloid) or even websites etc needs to be taken with a LARGE pinch of salt.

Agent Mulder our future depends on you.

Eh get your facts right ****o. Go to ITV teletext pg 541. Look at what Ron Atkinson says. Its on page 6 and 7 of the 7 pages on Teletext.

Oh... well if Big Ron says so :rolleyes:
    He went on TV and claimed he had been in touch with Liverpool for the past 6 months....
    Yes, cos that'd be about the same time Leeds told his agents to find him a new club.
    Anyway its all there for you to see...
    Sure is.

And I know Ronan, but if I don't feed them.. who will?! Won't someone please think of the childr... er... trolls!

At least "Big Ron" knows what he is talking about.

Im not gonna bother with this. You called me a troll? OMG...im going to cry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

surely liverpool aren't finished buying, i read at the start of the close season they had 20M to spend
    5 on kewell
    2.5 on finnan
    the french lads didn't cost 13.5 mill, so they still have money to spend

i'd be a bit disappointed if we were done in the trade market
    we've got a number of dodgy players to clear out as well, haven't heard a thing about them (*fingers crossed heskey leaves*)
    with the money we'd get for them it'd be a shame if we bought no more

lol at everyone saying kewell is no good now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Originally posted by Ronan|Raven
    It is nice to see the deal finally completed but just because we have signed Kewell doest mean we are going to win the league this year. Our style of play badly needs to be altered, we could do with a top class centre back to cover H & H. Another winger would be nice, even nicer if it was Duff but they 2 young french lads may turn out to be a good package if they are given the time, they are both still very young and may be blooded slowly.

At last a Liverpool fan with intelligence. That what I have been trying to say (more or less) but because im not a Liverpool fan I get knocked by kids.

Ta RR goodman :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭kdevitt

The french duo were paid for two seasons ago... so it doesnt affect this seasons transfer kitty...

Cisse will be joining soon, Houllier has aparently wrapped up another deal while on holidays in spain last week as well... strong rumours of Van Der Vaart

Originally posted by p.pete
    I heard it was 17 mil. So confusing though isn't it - lazy Australians using their own currency to talk about transfers. Very misleading for people not as intelligent as Wolf.

I read it in a headline in the paper as I dont have alot time on my hands with work. I suppose seen as you were out robbing bikes you have more time? :p
    Man U have a lot of youth players that are potentialy about to break into the team. If they prove good then their position will be strong for a while yet. Generaly Fergie is quite good at bringing youths into the team.

I could say the same about Pool having a strong batch of youths but I'm not as convinced of GH's ability to bring them all the way through. Both teams have the finances to buy extra players but generaly it's healthier for a club to at least be able to produce a handful of it's own players.

Liverpool may make up a bit of ground on Arsenal this season. Their team seems to be cracking at the seams but will possibly hold out another year. When they have their act together they're pretty much the best team in the league. Unfortunately for them they didn't hold it together last season and it's less likely this season.

Newcastle and Chelsea have both been making steady progress and will both be there or there abouts this season. Both have bags of money so should the need arise they are in a position to buy good replacements.

Anyway, I'm just rambling (I hope there is a little bit of sense to it). I always start the season thinking that we are going to win it and I've been proved wrong for the last 13 years. It's worth at least one more go, Liverpool for the League:D

Apart from that you make some very good points. Although Liverpool have some great youth that GH isnt using and doesnt seem to want to.

Originally posted by kdevitt
    The french duo were paid for two seasons ago... so it doesnt affect this seasons transfer kitty...

Cisse will be joining soon, Houllier has aparently wrapped up another deal while on holidays in spain last week as well... strong rumours of Van Der Vaart

excellent, that i would be very happy with, a few weeks ago i was sure the cisse deal was falling through, i was wrong, it seems :)

i don't know who this van der vaart is, but judging by peoples' reactions he must be great

kewell went for £5mill in the end

Thats an absolute bargain for you Pool fans...

For that price, i wish Utd had got him...and im being serious. thats a damn good price.

Van Der Vaart is Fonderful! Although if its a deal in spain its not him. Im just going to wait and see.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Wolf
    That what I have been trying to say (more or less) but because im not a Liverpool fan I get knocked by kids.

More or less indeed, the understatement of the century.

If you got "knocked" it was because of previous threads which clearly stated your position on Liverpool. So pardon me for not giving your opinions on this subject an ounce of respect.

Originally posted by PiE
    More or less indeed, the understatement of the century.

If you got "knocked" it was because of previous threads which clearly stated your position on Liverpool. So pardon me for not giving your opinions on this subject an ounce of respect.

Your been a tad reactionary in my opinion and sorry if I have offended you as I have seem to have done.

I stated in my posts that I think Liverpool are a good club and a club that will do well. My point was that they need to rebuild and wont challange next season for the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

...hes not exactly Mr Loyalty himself since he was talking to Liverpool for the past 6 months whilst on contract to Leeds...
    The guy has been with the team for 8 bloody years, what exactly does loyalty involve. The whole club has pretty much gone to pot over the last two or three years, I'm surprised he stayed this long.

Originally posted by Wolf
    I read it in a headline in the paper as I dont have alot time on my hands with work. I suppose seen as you were out robbing bikes you have more time? :p
    We all have to make a living;)

If Kewell is taking the number 7 from Smicer, what is Smicer going to be doing. Maybe we can offer him to Leeds so that they don't feel so hard done by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 denis

Smicer's getting number 11, so it looks as though he's sticking around, unfortunately. Kewell for 5 million has to be the bargain of the year, by the way.

The Leed's statement on lufc.co.uk is class. "We accepted a bid of £7 mill, but then Kewell said he wanted £2million, and Liverpool dropped their bid to £5m, so we had to accept that". Their net gain is only 3 million quid for an absolutely top drawer player.

I feel a bit bad for Leeds - they're really falling to pieces.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Someone mentioned on another site that this smells of Ziege. In other words scouse seems to have lodged a 7 million bid, had it excepted, talked to Kewell and then lodged a 5 million bid, should be interesting.

what actually with Ziege, did they have to pay more money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Boro got 2 million after a tribunal or somfin like it.

5 Million for Kewell has to be buy of the season.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

The Latest rumour is that Cisse is signed up and was in a secret medical last week in Anfield or Melwood

Finnan - Kewell - Cisse - and 2 french lads

Not a bad summers transfer dealings

Well done Gerrard Houllier

Now hopefully we'll see some exciting Liverpool football again ww)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Originally posted by LizardKing
    The Latest rumour is that Cisse is signed up and was in a secret medical last week in Anfield or Melwood

Finnan - Kewell - Cisse - and 2 french lads

Not a bad summers transfer dealings

Well done Gerrard Houllier

Now hopefully we'll see some exciting Liverpool football again ww)

But Houllier usually signs good players just doesnt play them or plays them out of position.
    Always manages to miss a creative central midfielder tho.

kdjac

• Advertisement

You're right there LizardKing. Wouldn't be a bad summer at all. I would like to see Cisse come in so that GH isn't tempted to play Kewell up front. There are rumours going around that Van Der Vaart could be moving too - a move I would be very happy with but then again we have Cheryou and Le Tallac who have a chance to prove themselves in that position. At least now that we ahve a left winger GH won't have to play Cheryou out of position there and might give him a chance in the middle where he plays best.

I also think that the fact we are bringing in four attacking players that we will see some good football next season.;)

Originally posted by yop
    Someone mentioned on another site that this smells of Ziege. In other words scouse seems to have lodged a 7 million bid, had it excepted, talked to Kewell and then lodged a 5 million bid, should be interesting.

what actually with Ziege, did they have to pay more money?
    :confused: Ziege had a minimum fee built into his contract and was nowhere near a bosman.

Liverpool were tipped off about the fee and made a bid surprisingly accurate - Liverpool lost the court case.

Here Kewell is near a Bosman and Leeds started to panick. They asked us if we were interested as far back as Christmas.

Mendic may have gotten himself in a bit of trouble though, he seems to have been fairly aggressive in the whole thing. I'll wait until the dust settles though. I reckon there will be a legal battle but I don't know if it will be Mendics agency suing Leeds or Leeds suing Mendics agency.

Either way, good bit of business by the Pool top brass.

It seems there was dirty tactics going on, taken from Soccernet.com

"It is understood Liverpool initially agreed last Friday to pay Leeds £7million, however, according to McKenzie the implication is the Reds were instructed to only offer £5million, giving the other £2million to Kewell to help cover his five-year contract worth an estimated £15million.

Leeds also claim Mandic had told them that to avoid Kewell 'doing a Bosman' next summer and leaving for nothing, he would like 40 per cent of the £5million transfer fee, amounting to another £2million and leaving United to bank 'a paltry' £3million. "

Originally posted by yop
    It seems there was dirty tactics going on, taken from Soccernet.com
    Soccernet is part of an american sports website - granted I read it myself but not everything is accurate.
    Originally posted by yop

"It is understood Liverpool initially agreed last Friday to pay Leeds £7million, however, according to McKenzie the implication is the Reds were instructed to only offer £5million, giving the other £2million to Kewell to help cover his five-year contract worth an estimated £15million.
    Liverpools accounts are available publicly from their web site as far as I know - so if there is 2 million going astray it should be printed there. They are praised as being one of the most open teams in Europe with their accounts. I don't believe Liverpool paid either Mendic or Kewell the extra 2 million but if they did it will be in their accounts.

If the deal was stalled they are entitled to change their offer but I really don't think they were playing to Mendics tune. At that stage they knew HK had his mind made up and wasn't going to change it - so if they lowered the offering price Leeds were pretty much snookered.
    Originally posted by yop

Leeds also claim Mandic had told them that to avoid Kewell 'doing a Bosman' next summer and leaving for nothing, he would like 40 per cent of the £5million transfer fee, amounting to another £2million and leaving United to bank 'a paltry' £3million. "
    Like I said, I would be interested in knowing all the facts about Mendics dealings on this one but I reckon he may have some questions to answer at the end of it all.

I'm reasonably confident the LFC didn't do anything underhanded most clubs will pay as little as possible for a player...

Not so sure about Kewells agent, or LUFC because its a particularly odd situation. I don't exactly believe what McKenzie is saying either - he's hardly going to say anything that would p1ss off the Leeds fans...

And Kewell has stated today that the 2 million has nothing to do with him - not exactly a sum of money that can be hidden too easily from accounts.... unless he's friendly with Liam Lawlor

unless he's friendly with Liam Lawlor

jaysus don't mention him here! he will be on tryin to defend himself! :D

• Advertisement

Rick Parry has denied making a £7m bid for Kewell. I can understand why Leeds are miffed but theres shag all they can do about it, it's all down to their own naivety.

Is there any photos of todays news conference yet - I'm looking forward to seeing holding up the no. 7:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

10 July 2003 : by YNWA
    MYSTERY MEDICAL ON SATURDAY

Word reaches us during the past 24 hours that a medical was completed at the weekend on a future signing.

The player arrived at Liverpool's John Lennon airport on Saturday and was picked up by a senior member of the Liverpool backroom team and taken for a medical.

At this present time we are unable to positively confirm the identity of the player but we believe it to be Djibril Cisse of Auxerre. We told you on 11th June that the Auxerre forward would join Liverpool this season and not next.

We also believe that this may not be the only arrival from Auxerre and there is a potential part-exchange deal with Auxerre for a senior 1st team squad player.

AND
    10 July 2003 : by LFC Online
    Cisse to sign?

Word on the grapevine is that Liverpool are set to announce the signing of Djibril Cisse.

Talks broke down with Cisse's club Auxerre after Guy Roux refused to allow the French striker to leave for at least another season, but apparently talks have been ongoing behind the scenes and we will find out very shortly if they have been successful.

Cissé and Boumsong i presume ...

Do ye actually want Cisse? Anything I have seen of him reminds me totally of Anelka, masses of talent but this is overshadowed by his lazyness, pure greed when on the ball and petulance? Do ye honestly want a player of this in your squad?

I think he is honestly more interested in parading himself around than playing footie

0006FBF4-6CAA-1F0D-AAC180C328EC0000.jpg:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

nice one p. why's there 2 steve finnan's :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Originally posted by p.pete
    0006FBF4-6CAA-1F0D-AAC180C328EC0000.jpg:D

:)

nice one, houllier is a midget aint he?

personally i think either mexes or boumsong should be signed, to strengthen the defence. gotta sell heskey though. how did di we get for Xavier to Galatasary??

xavier went for free
    i agree we could use a centre back, rumour is boumsong and malbranque could be signed after next weeks friendly
    but houllier has apparently said kewell is our final signing of the summer

not sure if we want malbranque, some say hes good some say hes not, haven't seen him myself
    does he play right midfield?

Ye wide on the right. Hes a good player.

Originally posted by eyerer
    xavier went for free
    i agree we could use a centre back, rumour is boumsong and malbranque could be signed after next weeks friendly
    but houllier has apparently said kewell is our final signing of the summer

not sure if we want malbranque, some say hes good some say hes not, haven't seen him myself
    does he play right midfield?
    The Houllier quote has been taken out of context - at the press conference last week Kewell was the last player introduced.

There will be more arrivals but it seems there will also be a major departure - in an interview on Thursday, Frank Rijkaard said that Barcelona had given up on attempting to sign Boumsong because he was expected to finalise a move to Liverpool in a matter of hours. Hyppia's agent is reported to be talking to Barcelona about a possible move to the Nou Camp.

Where are the rumours that Hyypia is leaving coming from? He's the club captain. I don't see any obviuos reasons why he would wana leave. Even with reported arrival of Boumsong, SH's place in the team isn't under threat. I hope that he doesn't leave because he is the backbone of the defense. Surely GH won't let him go.

The rumours of Hyypia leaving are well-founded, by all accounts he's gotten a bit too big for his boots - and despite being the club captain, he doesn't act it on or off the pitch. Stevie G should be made captain immediately.
    he is the backbone of the defense.

Thats what he thinks too... hence getting too big for his boots...

He was severely p1ssed with Houllier for the way Westerweld was treated too.

I'd love to have Boumsong come in as cover for the centre backs but definitely not at the expense of Hyypia. We need to get some depth in that area, not sell our best player. Think about it, if he went we'd have a choice of Boumsong (who could turn out to be a steaming pile of dog turd), Traore (who has already proved himself to be a steaming pile of dog turd), Diao or Carragher as a DC.

Scary thought.

It's not a case of Houllier forcing a player out, Sami wants out. Houllier has in the past said that he only wants players who are commited to the cause and it would appear that Hyypia no longer meets that criteria.

Originally posted by Bannor
    The Houllier quote has been taken out of context - at the press conference last week Kewell was the last player introduced.

There will be more arrivals but it seems there will also be a major departure - in an interview on Thursday, Frank Rijkaard said that Barcelona had given up on attempting to sign Boumsong because he was expected to finalise a move to Liverpool in a matter of hours. Hyppia's agent is reported to be talking to Barcelona about a possible move to the Nou Camp.

i've since heard this as well

and thats why i think boumsong is coming, apparently he will be unveiled on friday, wouldn't bet on it though

hyypia had some words with houllier about the defensive tactics of last season and houllier wasn't too happy, but i don't think hyypia should suffer for doing what was right

rumours of hamann wanting out as well :(
    we should definately not be selling players like these

• Advertisement
Advertisement