Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Snap Up Kewell!!

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

More on Hyypia: Last summer Barcelona contacted his agent to see if he was interested in signing for them, the response was along the lines of "not at the moment but we'll let you know if things change". Last week the agent contacted Barcelona.

As for Hamann - he won't sign a new contract with the club so he's going to leave on a bosman in two years unless he's sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This threads cheering me up no end..........:(

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

From Liverpool signing Kewell to our club captain wanting out...all in the one thread ! :eek: It's a depressing thought that Sami could leave, he didn't have the best of times last season, but he's irreplaceable imo. He'd leave a huge gap at the back, one that nobody in the current squad could even half-fill. I wouldn't be too upset if Hamann left though. We need to sell him before he walks away on a Bosman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

get rid of hamman hes replaceable. however... sami is not. if he goes, then the signing of kewell is pointless and we're back to square one!!

Everyone is replacable - the problem is that the defensive partnership will take time to develop.

Look at it this way : is it better to overhaul the defense all at once or replace it player by player? In the past Houllier favoured the all at once approach.

We've got a new full back for this season and our club captain wants away from the club. It's going to take time for Finnan to settle in, it will also take time for Hyypia's replacement to settle in - it makes more sense to get the players in place in the same season so that we're in a position to make a serious challenge the following season. Remember Houllier has said that the target for the coming season is Champions League qualification, and that it would be two seasons to challenge for the league title.

From what I've heard Boumsong will arrive in January so Hyypia will not be leaving this season unless Houllier is happy with Traore/Carragher/Biscan to partner Henchoz for the season.

And from the man who had the information on the Kewell transfer since last Christmas comes this:
    latest gossip from my source for ya...

Cisse deal delayed, he wont be arriving until the NEXT transfer window...

Houllier isnt gonna push the deal or pay more money, he wants to give Baros a chance to prove himself.....(ya know, not miss 5 in every 6 chances)

To be honest, im happy with cisse arriving later...Cisse and owen would take time to Gel.
    At least Baros and Owen know each others game, so we can hopefully make a positive start without waiting for a new partnership to develop.
    He believes that Boumsong and Cisse will both arrive during the January transfer window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭marct

The Koptalk insider reckons that the major departure is Hammann not Hyypia. It hasnt been wrong yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

If I had a choice of Hamann and Hyypia in the team I would go for Hyypia, hands down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭marct

Originally posted by jonno
    If I had a choice of Hamann and Hyypia in the team I would go for Hyypia, hands down.

Yeah? I'd have plumbed for Hamann myself, probably because of the partnerchip factor between Hyypia and Henchoz. True enough though, you only really miss Hamann when he isnt there but then you see all he does for us. Its a fairly poxy choice alright- hopefully they can all kiss and make up. I think Hamann's position is becoming untenable though as he blames GH for the CL defeat against Leverkusen when Hamann was substituted. Hamann has a point...:mad:

Boumsong admits contact with Liverpool (TeamTalk)

Jean-Alain Boumsong has revealed he has discussed a move to Liverpool with Gerard Houllier and will not sign a new contract with Auxerre.

The highly-rated 23-year-old central defender is also being pursued by Marseille coach Alain

Perrin, while there has been interest from Barcelona, even though that appears to be waning following their acquisition of Monaco's Rafael Marquez.

Asked about his links to Houllier and Perrin, Boumsong told French sports daily L'Equipe: "I've had them on the telephone and the point of their words was clear.

"I have been aware of that. Their will was evident. Now it's not just me who has to make a decision.

"There is other interest from abroad, less serious than Marseille and Liverpool.''

The onus is now on veteran coach Guy Roux - a close friend of Houllier - to make a decision on Boumsong's future, with Auxerre reluctant to let him leave but aware that he could go free next summer when his current deal expires.

Boumsong's sale would probably bring in the bulk of £5m, yet the player will not demand a transfer due to his respect for Roux.

"We have spoken about the subject of my situation,'' said Boumsong of Roux.

"He's like a father to me and he hopes I stay - that's clear, and that's important for me.

"But if I am to go, he will give me advice for the best. He will tell me where I can make the most impression.

"Last season, he wasn't even ready to discuss my departure.''

He knows that Roux may again refuse to discuss the issue, and would respect the coach's decision should he declare the topic closed.

"If that's the case,'' Boumsong added, "I'll stay until the end of my contract. I won't sign an extension."

Houllier stated this week that his summer spending spree was over, following the arrivals of Harry Kewell, Steve Finnan, Anthony Le Tallec and Florent Sinama-Pongolle, but the wily Frenchman may yet have a final trick up his sleeve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Liverpoll will not finish in the top 3 next year they will try and play a 4-3-1-2 system with Kewell being the 1 and everything going through him, which will not get them too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Originally posted by irish1
    Liverpoll will not finish in the top 3 next year they will try and play a 4-3-1-2 system with Kewell being the 1 and everything going through him, which will not get them too far.

really? aside from his tactical plans, what else did houllier tell you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by eyerer
    really? aside from his tactical plans, what else did houllier tell you?

This has been well versed both here and in the press, Kewell was quoted to say he was delighted to join liverpool because GH was going to give him the chance to play his fav position attacking midfielder.

GH will never guide the pool to a premier league title.

wait until the season starts to see where he plays, though i think he'll have various positions, i can't see him never playing on the left wing, he played on the left wing against cologne for most of the second half

ged has improved lfc's position in the league, last season we had our worst run in 50 odd years and still just missed out on champions league football, before ged, fifth place would've been a good season
    i appreciate how hes progressed with the club, others seem to have short memories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,561 ✭✭✭irishgeo

He picked up an ankle injury playing in the crewe match and has to have a scan tomorrow.

Its not looking too good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Originally posted by irishgeo
    He picked up an ankle injury playing in the crewe match and has to have a scan tomorrow.

Its not looking too good.

uh oh spaghetiio

if hes out for a month it'll be at least christmas before hes fully fit again. the 2 french boys were rapid me hears!!

• Advertisement

it would be great if le boss realised a backup for kewell would be smart

apparently he'll be alright for the amsterdam tornament, so its not too bad

i heard le tallac threaded through a lot of good balls to create chances and pongelle was lively

Advertisement