Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thinking of changing bikes

Options
  • 30-06-2003 3:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

At the moment I've got a 1999 Yamaha Virago 125, with new tyres (on it about a month and a half), new chain and sprockets and a new battery, and oil changed 2 weeks ago :)
    Its got about 13000 miles on the clock and is in fairly good condition besides a small dent in the fuel tank which is not very noticeable.
    I want to change it for a second hand Honda Varadero 125 - would like to get something bigger but can't afford the insurance. I've been qouted about €750 for insurance on the Varadero, which doesn't strike me as too bad. I'm paying €711 on the virago at the moment. (20, full A1, 40% NCB).
    What I want to know is how much is the Virago worth these days? And how much should I go paying for a 2000/2001 Varadero? Judging from prices asked in the Buy and Sell, 99 viragos are priced at about €2500, but who knows for sure with that lot :)
    I'm torn between looking for a privately owned varadero and selling off the Virago or going for a dealer and probably getting robbed - but the convenience of not having to sell the virago privately might be worth it. I need transport so I can't afford to sell the virago before getting a replacement, and finding a few grand without selling it might be a problem, so the trade-in route looks best for me.

How much d'yis think a dealer would give for the Virago as a trade-in ?

Pic of the Virago:
    313mybike.jpg?9949

edit: eh, since when have images been disabled on motors?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

*cough*
    *bump*

Local bike shop (Baldricks in Kilkenny) haven't any in stock but they know someone selling a 2002 model - 4000 euros though, abit rich for me :/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Have a look at RedLine in Rathdrum (Co. Wicklow).

They have a '01 125cc Varadero for €3,900..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Forgive me for asking, but why in gods name are varadero 125's so expensive. They're utterly terrible bike/dirt bike hybrids. 3900 for that and the nsr and rs can bearly go for 2000, i know its entirely the insurance. But sweet mother, thats taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by bugs
    Forgive me for asking, but why in gods name are varadero 125's so expensive. They're utterly terrible bike/dirt bike hybrids. 3900 for that and the nsr and rs can bearly go for 2000, i know its entirely the insurance. But sweet mother, thats taking the piss.

They seem to be a bit of a beast (as 125's go) from the specs I've found, but I've never heard of one before. Looking at it, I'd certainly go for it well before an nsr or rs in the 125 bracket. Has anyone used/owned one of these? Is it powerful (for a 125)? Or does it sound all tinny and nasty like so many wannabe racer 125s?

I was thinking I was stuck on the Marauder for another two years, but I may go and have a look at one of these babies when I get my degree.

Any luck so far munch?

I think 125 cruisers don't go for much second hand because they can be gotten very cheap brand new (relatively). Plus they don't last too well over long distances. My 2001 Marauder already had 33,000 km on it (perfect condition though), so I shudder to think what it'll get when I sell it. :)

A beast?
    A whatnow?

Its a 4 stroke twin cylinder 125, 142 dry weight which is enormous. You definetly won't be breaking any speed limits, cos it won't be able to go that fast, or "fast" at all. Thats 4000 for a bike that will be outperformed by most 125 two stroke scooters. I haven't looked for a horsepower figure but bearing in mind its a 4 stroke and a twin, i'd imagine its in the 12 or 13hp region....we have a mower with more power than that!

• Advertisement

I'm informed by someone who owns one (Swifty on the boards here) that the top speed is about 75MPH - enough for me anyways.

I'm not looking for a "beast" of a bike, and I like the look of the Varadero. It fits me perfectly, being 6 feet tall, whereas my virago's footpegs are a bit too close for comfort. And 3900 is a bit steep second hand :)

Image:
    P3080016.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

It suits me really, I'm not trying to break any speed limits. That's 75 restricted and mine's fairly restricted (6 speed bike, but mine wont go past fourth). Yeah it's bloody pricey but it's damn comfortable. Huge for a 125 though, especially for my first bike.

I was just amused that someone could consider it a beast. Not particularly to my taste but i can see the point behind why people would buy them, but not for 4000 second hand. That would buy you a lovely 400!

Yeh, 4000 is too rich for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

that varadero looks sweet..

im looking for a 125 - 250 virago,
    Cork area

freakfm@eircom.net

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by bugs
    I was just amused that someone could consider it a beast.
    You didn't read my post......
    They seem to be a bit of a beast (as 125's go)
    75MPH is fast for a 125 (and that's restricted). Plus it looks damn sweet.

:)

Well it is for a 4 stroker :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

It uses the engine from the Shadow 125, which as you'll remember is the best 125cc v-twin of the current bunch of miserable offerings. A beast it ain't but gotta be more fun to ride than a Marauder/Virago/Dragstar etc.

Originally posted by seamus

75MPH is fast for a 125 (and that's restricted).
    :)

No, no its not fast, nor is that the restricted speed, if someone is claiming it is, their speedo is seriously overreading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

80mph is the max speed for Varaderos.. Roughly 80 anyway just under it. I was just doing 80 on it today on a flat out empty road, my speedo is hardly "over-reading" ?

Originally posted by Swifty
    It suits me really, I'm not trying to break any speed limits. That's 75 restricted and mine's fairly restricted (6 speed bike, but mine wont go past fourth).

Just checked the honda website there - it says the gearbox is only 5 speed? (XL125V Varadero, right?).

Originally posted by Swifty
    80mph is the max speed for Varaderos.. Roughly 80 anyway just under it. I was just doing 80 on it today on a flat out empty road, my speedo is hardly "over-reading" ?

That'd be pretty reasonable, but it definetly won't go anywhere near 75-80 in restricted form is what i meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

160kg dry and about 14bhp it will be quicker than the virago but not by a long way, and i have never heard of a restricted varadero 125, why would it be restrcited, that makes absolutely no sense, doesnt make enough power to have restrictors fitted
    rs has 33bhp and weighs 114kg,nsr 29bhp and 132kg just to put the beast thing in perspective,
    nice tall bike decent pull from down low coz its a twinner but they go for insane money 2nd hand due to the rs and nsr bein so expensive to insure, why not have a look at tdr, its a bit faster and cheaper

What insurance group is the TDR in anyway? Varadero and Virago are both group 2, and my insurers have confirmed that they'll just charge me a once-off 20 euros to have my policy changed over.

Further googling informs me that the TDR is a group 2 machine, but that its also a 2-stroker. And that they go new for about the same price as a Varadero. Heh. Wonder how they compare for resale values. What kinda speed would you get out of the TDR?

Hibernian's website tells me its the same price for insurance as the Varadero and Virago.

El_Hama.jpg
    meep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

tdr should do a true 85 varadero prob just over 70(true), honda nsr75 is faster than varadero i know this coz i know some1 who owned both, the tdr would be significantly quicker aswell, it has about 22bhp and weighs crap all, great for traffic too

Hmm, considering the TDR now. Uglier than a Varadero, but those headlights are cool. Second hand ones seem cheaper than Varaderos. Must contact the insurance broker again, can't say I trust hibernian's website :)

I assume you don't have to manually mix the petrol and 2-stroke oil in the TDR?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

The oil is the same as a moped just keep topping it up. Both the varadero and the TDR are bout the same in insurance and speed I have friends on each of them. Personlaly I'd go for the varadero better to have a bit of weight in the bike plus the V twin 4 strok engine makes a nicer noise.

Yeah... but the TDR's seem so much cheaper for second hand models. People are looking for around 4 grand for Varaderos, which is just a bit out of my league - probably just due to them being newer models. Must go look at the buy n sell and see what people are looking for for 00 reg TDRs.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

That could be because of the 2 stroke engines plus some of them could be really old. although if your short of cash you might have no choice.

Well what I would like to do is trade in my Virago for one, to save me the hassle (and time with no transport) of selling privately. Any idea approximately what kind of money i'd have to throw after a '99 Virago to trade against a '00 or so TDR?

Any waterford heads around? Give me directions to a few bike shops ... I'm gonna head down on Monday and see what pre-owned stuff the dealers have in stock.

Originally posted by batman_oh
    tdr should do a true 85 varadero prob just over 70(true), honda nsr75 is faster than varadero i know this coz i know some1 who owned both, the tdr would be significantly quicker aswell, it has about 22bhp and weighs crap all, great for traffic too

Oh Lordy...the TDR (like all 125's) is restricted to sub 15bhp as per licence restrictions for category A1. The reason the Varadero is so expensive is because it is the best bike in the 125cc street/roadster class. You might get 75mph out of one going downhill with the wind behind you. Same for restricted NSR125 and any other you care to mention.

Have you thought about looking around for a well-kept Honda Rebel 125 or 250? Better bet than a Virago surely?

I'm confining myself to group 2 bikes. Insurance is bad enough as is. Honda Rebel 125 is group 3 to the best of my recollection. No idea what group the 250 falls into.

• Advertisement

Odd that, if you think about it. Anyway the Rebel is quite a small bike, probably wouldn't suit you if you are anything about about 5'7.

Choosing between Varadero and TDR I'd have to say Varadero, it will also hold it's value better. Plus you do without the need to add oil every few fills and it will feel like a bigger bike, be more comfortable, and handle pillions better. Screen is bigger and will be a better bike to drive in the bad weather. That's why they cost more than TDR's.

Advertisement