Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thinking of changing bikes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm about 6 ft.

New, both of them cost about the same amount, but 2nd hand Varaderos do seem to be worth more than the TDR's as you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Originally posted by MojoMaker
    Oh Lordy...the TDR (like all 125's) is restricted to sub 15bhp as per licence restrictions for category A1. The reason the Varadero is so expensive is because it is the best bike in the 125cc street/roadster class. You might get 75mph out of one going downhill with the wind behind you. Same for restricted NSR125 and any other you care to mention.

What in sweet jesus tap-dancing christ are you talking about. No irish motorcycle shop sells restricted 125's, why would they restrict it to A1 license range when no one that can't get a A license could possibly afford the bike or the insurance. I remember asking if my bike was restricted when i bought it 2 years ago, and being laughed at. I've never seen a restricted TDR/NSR/RS, ppl just aren't stupid enough to buy them, so retailers aren't stupid enough to restrict them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

restrcited nsr 125s are now on sale but that is a restriction to lower the insurance group
    a1 licence only covers 12bhp and lower, the varadero is 15 full power, obviously u do not understand how engines work
    2 strokes can produce nearly twice the power of the equivalent 4 stroke engine(works out about 175% generally)
    the varadero is a 4 stroke v-twin which would produce even less peak power than a 4 stroke inline engine, just more low range torque, it is 15-16bhp full power and is not in existance in restricted form as it doesnt require it, if its restrcited by any1 it is to 12bhp from its 16, nsr gets restricted to 12bhp from 29
    show me a full power varadero then, and ill show u what a fast 125 does to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Originally posted by bugs
    What in sweet jesus tap-dancing christ are you talking about. No irish motorcycle shop sells restricted 125's, why would they restrict it to A1 license range when no one that can't get a A license could possibly afford the bike or the insurance. I remember asking if my bike was restricted when i bought it 2 years ago, and being laughed at. I've never seen a restricted TDR/NSR/RS, ppl just aren't stupid enough to buy them, so retailers aren't stupid enough to restrict them.

When I say 'restricted', I am not referring to the manufacturer producing an engine and then choking it back to a specific output. When I say restricted I am referring to being bound by law to not producing more than 15hp, as per legal requirement of A1 licence category. The TDR makes 14hp, the Varadero makes 15hp, the Shadow makes 15 hp. Yamaha's DT makes 12hp, KMX125 makes 11hp. It's not that they make these engines in 25hp form and then choke back power figures to suit. That's what these engines make...full stop. Why it's pointless to buy a 125 unless you are bound by the A1 licence.

So, understand the difference between physical restriction (i.e. tampering) and restricted (i.e. bound) by law.

The NSR and RS were never intended to be produced as low power learner 125 bikes. They both make in or around 30hp as standard, but *can* be physically restricted to sub-15hp to appeal to A1 licence holders (who promptly get rid of the restriction). A1 licence is <= 11kw/15hp.

Btw - Bugs, I sell bikes for a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, I've got a full A1 and a provisional A. I'm sticking to low power 125's for insurance purposes - much lower quotes for A1 bikes because of the full licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Originally posted by MojoMaker
    Btw - Bugs, I sell bikes for a living.

A huge percentage of ppl in bike shops are morons, i'm not saying you are a moron, but i have encountered a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

The only restriction that affects your insurance is if it was done by the manufacturer before it was sold. So if you restrict an NSR 125 or RS you can "legally" drive it on an A1 license but it's still group 7 insurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

nice post there but its all bollox
    the varadero is full power
    a honda cb250 only makes 22bhp, thats not restricted
    a varadero is not and never will be restricted, because its a feeble 4 stroke 125 engine it cant make anytin more than about 20 bhp
    the fact that its a vtwin reduces the potential to make power even further, therefore its 15, this is it full power the only way it is ever sold anywhere
    for example an aprilia rsv100r makes 115 bhp at the crank
    a ducati 998r makes about 125
    an r1 makes 152
    the difference is an r1 is an inline 4
    v twins cannot create the same peak power
    a 2 stroke 250 makes about 65 bhp at the crank
    this is the same or slighly more than a 400cc 4 stroke
    so usin your brain u will see that a 2 stroke 125 will create a lot more power than a 4 stroke v twin125
    also most people ive encountered in bike shops know sweet **** all really and will lie thru their asses to make a sale
    a bloke i know owned a varadero and sold it coz it was too slow, he bought a honda nsr75 which he said was far quicker and more fun, and they aint quick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭s10

Yamaha dt vs tdr dt hands down

Do kawi still do a kdx
    cause thats a sweety

& suziki tsr or ts i cant remember camoflage seat

for a 6 footer
    all of the above

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭s10

lol bbbaaahahahah
    only if it was free

• Advertisement
Advertisement