Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comreg market info from Oireachtas presentation.

Options
  • 30-06-2003 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

from http://www.comreg.ie/whats_new/default.asp?ctype=5&nid=101028
    Broadband – Total Connections estimated at approx. 12,000

Leased Lines provide a business solution and are generally available nationwide
    . Approx. 22,000 retail leased lines, although only about 5% of these were above 2Mbit

DSL coverage increasing but take-up limited (figures as at June 2003).
    . Approx.50% of all lines in Ireland are DSL enabled;
    . Exchanges enabled: eircom 70 (Jan ’03) =>110 (Dec ’03); Esat BT - 38.
    . Total DSL lines installed: approx 3,800

Cable modem take-up limited by network roll-outs (figures as at June 2003).
    . Total cable modem subscribers: 3,000 (incl. ntl, Casey Cablevision and Chorus) – increase of 30% since last quarter

Wireless solutions are still emerging
    . Fixed Wireless Access – approx 5,300 residential and business; also Wireless-Lan
    . Satellite – vsat connections useful in rural areas
    . 2.5G available, 3G services to be rolled out by the end of the year
    Where are the 5000 fixed wireless people?

If it's true it would indicate wireless is ahead of DSL!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Business perhaps ? Esat have had a wireless leased line service around dublin for a good while.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

. Approx.50% of all lines in Ireland are DSL enabled;

Surely thats wholly inaccurate? Is it even accurate to say "50% of all lines are connected to a DSL enabled exchange" now?

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

Their figures about how many line are enabled are most stunning, 800,000. Read the doc.

You have to wonder about the line failure rate.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by flav0rflav
    Where are the 5000 fixed wireless people?
    Maybe they're including ISDN in broadband again? I'm on fixed wireless ISDN, but I know some neighbours are having trouble getting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

You do have to wonder about failure rates.

Cable modems cover at most about 40,000 homes, yet have 3,000 cable modem subscribers.

DSL is supposedly available to 800,000 homes, yet only 3,800 have taken up the service. A lot of this is also due to the joke pricing of 107 euros which, until recently, was the cheapest DSL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    Maybe they're including ISDN in broadband again? I'm on fixed wireless ISDN, but I know some neighbours are having trouble getting it.
    They are probably including people getting a standard voice line over FWA too.

Well done getting ISDN.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    Well done getting ISDN.
    Ta. It was a struggle, but it was worth it. After a short breather, I'm tempted to pursue the 384k asymmetric service that was also mentioned in the license document!

Advertisement