Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

State of Dublin Football

• 30-06-2003 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

As a Dublin GAA surporter for more years than I care to remember, and more to cry about than to shout
    I believe that Dublin with its size and population would be able to field a better team if they split Dublin into North and South.
    Not only would it give us two chances of winning the All-Ireland, but would break the strangle hold the major clubs have on the team selection ............
    I played for Erins Isle, and have to say that if I had a son or daughter Isles would be the club I'd bring them to to play at.
    I'm sure that there are many Dublin players with the same opinion but as there Clubs are smaller less know they are overlooked and as a result the talent of there players gose unseen.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

There are so many good arguments for and against here.

Personally I tend to disagree with you. I have come up with the Idea of a Dublin B team. with a totally different management team. I think that would help solve the issue of over looking some clubs and players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Just a few questions for both of ye.
    Surely if there's a problem with players from smaller clubs not being picked then it's a problem with whatever selection mechanism is in place! This is not just a problem in Dublin.
    In fact i'd say it's a bigger problem down the sticks where a village team might be playing junior football but they could have a player who is more than capable at senior County level. In Dublin most clubs have more than one team. In villages this is not always the case.

Also Alany what exactly would you propose to do with this B team? Surely every county should be then entitled to the same!
    After all somewhere like Meath/Cork/Kildare probably has as many active players as Dublin has!

Splitting Dublin up into different teams I think is a possibility but would only work if there was a thorough reform of the club structure in Dublin which is unlikely to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

right. This B team idea of mine is not very well thought out but basically it revolves around on proportional representation .

So if a county has X amount of footballers or less 1 team but if it has above that certain amount it gets 2 teams....

Again I stress its not really thought out.

Dublins selection process is a problem. I dont know the ins and outs so I wont make a point of it ...but the usual GAA ... nepitism is always going to be factor here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭namuras

The problem is rightly pointed at the selectors.....Lets face facts its always new managers but the same selection process or Selectors and no manager prepared to make the changes, how many times over the years have you had a good Dublin team, and management having to wait for the player to tell them they have retired from County football or the News Papers deciding who should play .
    The point that Meath have maintained a strong team shows the will of management to introduce youth with experience over the years.
    Dublin supporters are the ones who seem to suffer with the promise of a new era only to be fooled again.

Advertisement