Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average bandwidth usage ?

Options
  • 30-06-2003 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Hi, I want to get one of the ADSL offerings (Or IBB) but am worried about the cap.

The usual usage in the house is games , chat, video conferencing and mp3 downloads (legal ones of course!)

Would I surpass the 4gb / 5gb limit easily ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Ym thinking on broadband is that once you get used to it you WILL download more, simply because you CAN.
    How many time have you wanted a 50 meg file and decided not to download it because it will be too slow. Now with broadband it will be fast so you will download the file.
    This trend will continue and eventually you will find that a cap is not big enough.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Agreed, 4/5GB limit pm for even a somewhat casual downloaed thats currently on 56K because you'll download even more on ADSL.

I put this to the test when I had 56K, I'd downlaoed 200MB in a day, then I got access 128K and I was doing 600MB +/- a day.

Recently I got access to 512K & 1MB lines and I'm downloading mad amounts of stuff.

So no way in hell is 5GB enough imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

But if your not a mad downloader, and if you just want it for surfing or playing Games, You shouldnt pass your cap, plus if u download to much i think ull learn your lesson when the bill comes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

You'd be suprised how quickly it can go. I'm on netsource so I haven't had any need to monitor my traffic, but at a guess I'd say I used up around 7 or 8 gigs in the last month, and I don't leave my pc downloading when I'm away or anything like that. I don't think you have to be a mad downloader to pass 4 gigs anyway.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

I'm not a mad downloader either, I'm with netsource and I've downloaded 12gb in the last week and a bit. Me no like cap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Is netsource any good for pings though ? I heard it was fairly dodgy.

tis dodgy alright, when it's good it's exceptional, had 30ms pings to english servers, but unfortunately they are few times when this happens, usually it's more like 300ms, just hope the next bandwidth upgrade does the trick. Download speeds are grand though. For eircom radsl pings are about 40ms-60ms and dl speeds a more or less constant 55k/s, perfect service, pity about the cap.

Netsource RADSL will be sweet if only it had stable pings of 30 to UK Sigh. But will it ever happen. Eircom gets 30 to and 130 to USA which is very good. And thats wut attracts most people. Taz wut do you download on the Internet tho? Surly 12GB isnt just playin Games because that works out to like 200+ hours of gaming and there is only 168 Hours in week.

There are always lots of little things that all add up. Patches are always pretty big nowadays. The latest Doom 3 trailer is 73 Mb. Game demos can be 150Mb+

But u only need to download them once. So Ill go for Eircom all i want it Surfing and Gaming i should be fine. I was reading about Netsource and does anyone know that does ur speed depend on how many people are on ur exchange using It or On Netsource in total, Because im the only one on my exchange so contention ratio is 1:1, so Will Netsource RADSL still be **** pings for me?

• Advertisement

But u only need to download them once
    You're not going to run out of things to d/l :) There's always something new to get

Your pings will still be the exact same as the rest of us netsource folk I'm afraid.

I never said I got dsl for gaming only.

Ok, roughly how much GB u use on gaming a month TAZ u know?

I play an average of about 5-6hrs of CS a day, so im guessing about 150mb a day.

For lazy people that's about 4.3gb a month

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Chat wont make a dent at all in your cap.
    Games themselves will eat away at it, especially with patches.
    MP3's will also make a fair dent into it depending on how much you do. Consider most mp3's are 3-5mb in size.

Video Conferencing..ouch. Say good bye to your cap now as you'll be over it before you realise ;)

Multiply this by the amount of people going to be using it and you'll have your answer.

Thanks Taz :)

Advertisement