Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you pay deposit+rent in advance?

Options
  • 30-06-2003 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

When you rent a place, is it the standard practice to pay the deposit plus the first month rent in advance, or only the deposit in advance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Depends on the landlord. If they've been f***ed over by tenants in the past, then you will find them demanding rent in advance aswell. If they're new to letting, or had good experiences with previous tenants they will only ask for deposit.

How do I know this? I've asked a few of them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

I'd say it would be unusual for them not to request deposit and a month's rent before you move in. It's pretty standard from everywhere I've rented (7 years of renting!)

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

I had to pay a deposit of 2 months rent plus one months rent in advance before I could move in...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Usually if you are moving in there and then (or next best thing), you will be asked for the deposit and the first months rent. At the end of first / start of second month you will be asked for / pay the second month's rent.

If you are reserving a place to move into next month (i.e. several weeks away), you might be only asked for the deposit.

Most deposits are equal to a month's rent. a small few landlords will ask for a deposit equal to two months rent. Some deposits are less than a month's rent, especially in longstanding house / flat shares where the rent has risen, but the deposit has not.

Make sure you get a receipt stating what the deposit is for.

Advertisement