Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Partridge signs for Reading

• 30-06-2003 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Richie Partridge has signed for Reading for £350,000. Not a bad move for him imo. He should get first team football there, any if he can repeat some of the form that he showed at Coventry last season, he could do very well there.

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/story.asp?newsid=6181

<edit>updated link</edit>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

He hasn't signed yet - the fee was only agreed on Friday. It'll be a good move for him Reading like to play with two wingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

He'll be a loss , never really got a chance , if he was french instead of irish he'd probably have been given a run or else he'd be on loan to houlliers mates teams in crappy french league :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I'll be really disappointed if he does go. His agent said they have to think about it. I think he deserved a chance but GH wouldn't give it. A big loss if he decides to go and my dreams dashed of an all-Irish right wing in Anfield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Superfurry

I can't say I'm too disappointed. Partridge never really lived up to all the hype he recieved and even during his loan spell at Coventry he failed to impress. I think the fact that Reading are the only club in for him speaks volumes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I thought he was going to give it a go to impress during pre-season, hope he decides to give it a few months if not the season. I can see how it is difficult for him. He wants to play for pool but if he doesn't leave he may never play for anyone.

I hear conflicting reports of his time in Coventry. He played over 20 games and impressed but then it was cut short due to a necessary operation is one story. The other story says he impressed but then faded away - I'd love to know which it was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Originally posted by Superfurry
    I think the fact that Reading are the only club in for him speaks volumes.

Well in fairness there arent exactly a huge amount of transfers going on anywhere in the world at the moment, so I think it says anything that only Reading are interested. Also Reading got to the playoffs last year, so they are certainly an in-form team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Looks like Reading are having a busy morning. Seems they've just signed David Connolly: http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?mainheading=Republic%20of%20Ireland&id=10091&viewstory=yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Originally posted by Superfurry
    I can't say I'm too disappointed. Partridge never really lived up to all the hype he recieved and even during his loan spell at Coventry he failed to impress. I think the fact that Reading are the only club in for him speaks volumes.

what a load a cack!!!

did you see any of his goals last season? 2 times he ran the length of the pitch, and planted it in the top corner. he is a huge loss to the pool. he'll prob sell foley next, another class irish act at liverpool.i hate that houllier lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

strangely it looks like Reading are getting connolly too.
    Although I'm wondering if they will really get partridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭bort

itd be a shame for him if he did move coz he never really got a chance at liverpool with houlliers obsession with ignoring any sort of need for width on the wings. i think he should hold out for a move to a mid table premiership team imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Really wanted Partridge to succeed, went to school with his brother and used to play football with him on lunch breaks...

but..

I honestly don't think he was up to the grade - he so slight, that while he's done ok in the 1st division, he still gets knocked off the ball way too easily... and from hearing what Coventry fans were saying, while he did well in the first few games he played in, he sort of lost his form after that.

Not that he's any worse than the likes of Smicer...

Hopefully he'll do well with Reading...

From FAI.ie ( Irish Abroad article)
    Meanwhile, Reading have denied making an approach for Liverpool winger Partridge. The 22-year-old former Under 21 international has one year remaining on his contract at Anfield, and admitted last week that the forthcoming season is "make or break" for him.

He also revealed that Liverpool assistant manager Phil Thompson had told him he was valued at Anfield and the club had rejected a number of offers. And a Reading press spokesperson said: "That is not the case, we don't know of any bid."

Hopefully he'll get a chance for the Pool ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

That's good news if it's true, thanks LizardKing. I heard that he had great feet on the ball but was a bit too small, and as someone said gets knocked off the ball too easily. But that colud be a minor issue if he took up Owen's attituide last season and did some work with weights and the like just too build up some body strength.

What a difference a day makes (still nothing confirmed)

taken from LiverpoolCF.tv transfer speculation section (which took it from teamtalk)

03 July 2003 : by TeamTalk
    Partridge nears Reds exit

Liverpool winger Richie Partridge has moved closer to a transfer to Reading after holding talks with the First Division club.

The Royals are set to lodge a bid - thought to be in the region of £300,000 - for the Republic of Ireland youngster's services.

Partridge has finally decided that he has hit a brick wall in trying to break into the Liverpool first team and says it is time now to find first team football elsewhere.

He impressed while on loan last season at Coventry.

:(

How can he have changed his mind from giving it one final go to having "hit a brick wall" without even kicking a pre-season football in anger:confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

He is better off going, will die in the reserves, policy with scouse is that if u are a winger we do not need you, improve his chances of playing for the Irish team at least.

best of luck to the lad (IF he goes!)

Originally posted by yop
    He is better off going, will die in the reserves, policy with scouse is that if u are a winger we do not need you, improve his chances of playing for the Irish team at least.

best of luck to the lad (IF he goes!)
    Is that in the same way that I say best of luck to Roy Keane (IF he goes to Celtic!).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

:D hummm, no he is Irish so feck it best of luck to him, if he waits with scouse he will need it!

Sadly your probably right - think I speak for most Irish Liverpool fans when I say that I would like to see him do well at pool - but I'll believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

I think it is great news for Richie and for Irish supporters. He has been touted as a great player, but think of people like Duff and Keane who have been in the Irish team for 2 - 3 years, and they are 2 years younger than him :p I know these people are exceptional talents, but the point I'm making is that he is slowly running out of time. If he doesn't play first team football in the Premiership within the next 2 or 3 years, he may miss the boat as far as his international career is concerned. We have other wingers coming through the ranks like Stephen McPhail and Thomas Butler, and these people have far more experience than Partridge does at the highest level.

• Advertisement

Anyone know if Richie actually signed for Reading yet or is he still on Pool books .....

Still on pools books afaik.
    Hopefully he will make a go of pre-season.

Advertisement