Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC build help!

• 30-06-2003 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

hi guys i have just put together a new machine and installed windows xp pro with service pack 1
    when i loaded this up it crashed right at the end when it was checking to change my resolution, but all the files had been loaded
    i wiped the hard drive and reinstalled it again but it happened again
    now it freezes on every 2nd boot up and i cant get games to work on it
    office and other apps work but not games
    i have loaded the latest drivers for the 9700 pro graphics card and i have also loaded the latest nforce drivers for the K7N2-Delta-ILSR mobo and upgraded the bios
    can anyone think of anything else i could try?
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

In not familar with non Intel systems but could the system be overheating?

Are you getting any error message after the crash?

If all else fails try this guide.........

XP install guide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

I had this problem and it turned out to be a problem with DMA on my DVD-ROM drive. If it will boot into safe mode, that could be your problem too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

i would try a different OS if possible, win98 or something just to see if it still crashes. Win95 installs even faster (saves you waiting around all day to install) Or, if you've got one handy or can borrow one for a while, another graphics card.

I'm actually having similar problem with WinXP although I think I've nailed it down to the graphics card. Used to work on Win98 but the graphics card has been in the attic for a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Am i right in saying that anytime your graphics card comes under load its crashing?? Getting Sandra should help you figure out if its your cpu, memory......

When it crashes again go into your BIOS and see what temp its running, mite help rule out overheating.

Post a bit more details about your system & the errors your getting.

Advertisement