Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lil' help?

• 30-06-2003 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭

Ok I need help.
    I have no idea how to get rid of this virus off my machine its called BKDR_BO.58880
    and there's another called BKDR_BOSNIFF.A.
    So I wend to trendmicro.com and installed the latest pattern file. fine...it detects the virus alright, but tells me it can't clean it or quarantine it. So it offers a solution trouble is with my my limited knowledge of computers I have no idea what I'm doing, so here I am cap in hand. This is what it says and I'll highlight the bits I don't get.
    • Click Start > Run
    • Type REGEDIT and hit ENTER key
    • In the left panel, click the "+" to the left of the following:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
      Software
      Microsoft
      Windows
      CurrentVersion
      RunServices
    • In the right panel, search for the registry key that contains the data value of " .EXE". -(trouble is there are two executable files)
    • In the right window, highlight the registry key that loads the file and press the DELETE key. Answer YES to delete the entry.
    • Exit the registry.
    • Click Start > Shutdown. Choose "Restart" and click OK.
    • After the computer has restarted, you can now delete the file "\windows\system\ .exe" in Windows Explorer since the PC will no longer run it at startup after you delete the associated registry entry.
    • Scan your system with Trend Micro antivirus and delete all files detected as BKDR_ BO.58880. To do this, Trend Micro customers must download the latest pattern file and scan their system. Other email users may use HouseCall, Trend Micro’s free, online virus scanner.

Huh? Whaa?

Now this may seem like a,b,c,'s to you lot, but I'm totally stumped here, delete the file "\windows\system\ .exe", well then if I can delete it...why was it there in the first place pray tell

I'll worry about Mr Bosniff later....can you sort me out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by bug
    In the right panel, search for the registry key that contains the data value of " .EXE". -(trouble is there are two executable files)
    [/b]
    OK, when you're in this directory, regedit has two panes, like explorer, the left one has the directory hierarchy, and the right one shows the content of the selected directory.
    In the right pane, if you double-click one of the 'files' it will show you its data value. So you have to find the one(s) that has a data value containing the name of the virus, followed by a .exe, and delete it. If that helps :)
    Now this may seem like a,b,c,'s to you lot, but I'm totally stumped here, delete the file "\windows\system\ .exe", well then if I can delete it...why was it there in the first place pray tell
    I'm not sure, but I think what it's saying is that the virus essentially has no name, but only has a .exe extension. Opne windows explorer, go to the c:\windows\system\ directory. Then Click Tools->Folder Options (or it may be View->Options). Then find a checkbox saying 'Hide file extensions for known file types' and uncheck it.

Now, you need to find a file called '.exe' (at least I think that's what it says), and delete it. Remove from bin and everything.

I dunno if that makes any sense.

Advertisement