Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iol broadband sorted (nearly)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Like i said eth0_, i had problems sending without the capitals but i am using an eircom net account. It is an old free dial-up email account and i have had some problems with it lately.

But anyway, Bill Murphy and others like Peter Evans and Gary Dempsey are very helpful people.

Like all Irish companies, the customer care line is not very helpful but these people are and are very nice to deal with.

Just show them some respect when dealing with them!!!

No abuse or cursing. They are helping you so don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Like i said eth0_, i had problems sending without the capitals but i am using an eircom net account. It is an old free dial-up email account and i have had some problems with it lately.

But anyway, Bill Murphy and others like Peter Evans and Gary Dempsey are very helpful people.

Like all Irish companies, the customer care line is not very helpful but these people are and are very nice to deal with.

Just show them some respect when dealing with them!!!

No abuse or cursing. They are helping you so don't bite the hand that feeds you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

waaaay off topic lads :p

Anyways im giving esat a shout tomorrow to see how my dsl is doing.. its day 12 tomorrow

chief,

sorry about the double posting. Servers seemed to be rebooting when i posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Fabre

I just received the modem!
    So I was quite happy but it didn't last, the cd doesn't work!!!!

I am downloading the drivers right now from the zyxel website
    wrong one disregard previous link
    After that guess I will have to call bt to get the settings for xp...

• Advertisement

Guess what!!

No phone call before 10 this morning like promised and no dsl signal.

I hope Eircom is actually working on the line and I will be connectted by the end of business.

How can companies get away with this??

Originally posted by -ADREN-
    waaaay off topic lads :p

Anyways im giving esat a shout tomorrow to see how my dsl is doing.. its day 12 tomorrow

I'm actually on working day 21, so don't get your hopes up!!

Does anyone know up to what time does Eircom activate the lines??

I hope they don't just do it in the morning. I want my broadband today.

This is the correct link to DL the driver in case your CD is not working.

www.systemhouse.com/p630

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

26 days since i got my password:mad:

• Advertisement

Atleast i have the modem from them. That took some doing though.

I hope this service has been worth the wait because Netsource now has their act together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Well Lads,

I got my modem today....and am online as we speak...

WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Rang BT today, they said my line is now active and the modem is being sent out by courier, so I should have it tomorrow. This better be no bull****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Shamo

Originally posted by MR DAZ
    Well Lads,

I got my modem today....and am online as we speak...

WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO

Could you post some download speeds and/or ping times?

Cheers.

C:\Documents and Settings\Darren>ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [217.114.166.147] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=54
    Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 217.114.166.147:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 31ms, Maximum = 39ms, Average = 33ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Darren>

This was my ping to boards @9.45pm

I downloaded a 4.5mb file in 4 minutes .....have'nt tried it for gaming yet

ps
    This is in the limerick area (Raheen)

Ping on www.boards.ie
    Average: 33ms

I Downloaded dod_v10.exe 173meg in 56 minutes on average 52.3kb/sec

also downloaded a couple of other file didn't go above 53kb/sec

10 kb/sec short from the theorical 64 kb/sec

Yeah...it has improves alot since that up to average 85ms now

Im pritty pissed at esat really atm.. Rang them today and they said my forms were sent to Eircom last thursday the 10th.. and I had sent the forms 2 weeks before hand.. what **** like.. so now my 12 day wait starts from that thursday meaning that on Monday the 28th my line 'Should' be active.. and then I have to wait for my modem .. how long is that again??? ... So it looks like August the 1st the earliest....

Question.. when do you recieve the filters?? is that with the modem?? Cus when my line is activeated i might save my self a week of 56k and go buy a modem.. If the filters come before the modem.. do they??

Me really annoyed :(

..Adzzzy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Yeah...it has improves alot since that up to average 85ms now

*cough* lower = better going up inst a improvment m8

my average is 32ms to boards had my d/l at 54kbs

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭CubicleDweller

Adren - the filters arrive with the modem. But if you're thinking about buying a modem, the cost of a filter shouldn't put you off. Marx Computers (in Dublin) stock them for 8 euros each. You should probably ring them first to check if they have them. I was planning to do that today, but my modem and filters arrived this morning.

By the way, Marx call it an "ADSL splitter" on their site - search for ADSL and it will be the last item on the list. (There are other types, but the splitter is the most straightforward to use - plug it into the wall, and plug both your phone and modem into it.)

I had already tried Peats (who had one with a BT-style connector, not RJ11 like Eircom use), Maplins (who would have had a BT one, but they were out of stock), and IT Direct, who don't seem to stock them. Which is odd, since that's where I bought my modem.

In the short term, if you don't need voice and ADSL at the same time, you can just plug the phone line into the modem while you're online, and unplug it afterwards. If you pick up the phone, you'll hear some high-pitched noises which mean you can't really use it - even if you're offline at the time - so that's why you unplug the line from the modem when you're done with your surfing.

This is all based on personal experience and hearsay. If you destroy your modem/burn down your house/kill yourself - then you heard none of this from me. :)

• Advertisement

ok.. so if i have a phone downstairs and upstairs and no phone where my pc is i should get 3 adsl splitters yea? and just plug the phones into the 'phone' place and leave the other one empty (since there is nothing to go in there) and plug the dsl line to into the dsl place on the splitter where i want my dsl line to be? So i should have a vacant spot on each of my splitters? 1 phone connected to a splitter .. another phone connected to a splitter and my dsl connection connted to a splitter?.. and if i do that I should be able to make calls while connected?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭M03

Wow we were in the same batch Mr Daz! :p

Modem arrived yesterday. Installation was no problem at all. XP picked up the driver off the CD automatically and all the green lights came on. Username and password worked first time and I was in. :D:D

===============================
    ping www.boards.ie -n 10
    Average: 29ms
    ping clarity.jolt.co.uk -n 10
    Average: 39ms

Downloaded a few 5-10MB files at steady 52-55KB/sec.

Will post full ping results in the sticky thread tonight.

M03

I've broadband. Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been dealing the Product Manager of IOL and he has fought to get me online fast.

He has pushed and pushed Eircom to activate the line, gone against IOL policy and sent out the modem early by TNT courir and apologised to me by crediting my account one month free broadband.

IOL is a good company, especially compared to Eircom who care little for their customers.

Manager of the product manager even emailed me to see if i was connectted alright.

I admit IOL's customer care is not the best in Ireland but their are some great staff on it who have left their desk and went to the other building to leave messages for me.

So i guess, IOL have earned their 12 month contract and another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

08:55 this morning doorbell rings. It's my modem at last, woohoo. 12 mins later ready to connect......Username/password problem, ok ring tech support (very helpful) everything's fine, but your line is still pending...urrgh.. try customer care...ok...passed on to sales...ok..ring you back in 10 mins....half hour passes.. have to go to work. It's like Christmas day with no batteries for your new toy. Hopefully they can get it sorted soon. Another phone call I think.

I might be stating the obvious but did u put @iolbb at the end of your login?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

aaaaarrrrrrrrgggghhhhh :mad:
    what have i done to deserve this!
    cowboy - i'll buy you a sixpack if you give up that dude's name!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭CubicleDweller

ADREN - sorry, sounds like I've confused you. I was assuming you were working with a single phone socket. In which case, you can connect both phone and modem to that socket using the sort of ADSL splitter Marx sell.

But I take it that you have three phone sockets, and are currently using two of them for phones and the third one for a 56K modem?

In that case, if you're using ADSL splitters, you'd need two of them - one for each phone. Each splitter plugs into one of the wall sockets, and a phone is plugged into the port on the splitter labelled "phone". The port labelled "ADSL" is unused.

At the third wall socket, just connect the ADSL modem directly.

The ADSL splitter basically just filters out high-frequency signals from the incoming line and the ADSL port, and blocks them from getting through to the phone port. The ADSL port is directly connected to the incoming line.

You can buy simpler devices, normally called "microfilters" which just have the incoming port and the phone port - no ADSL port. They'd be fine for your case too - you'd need one for each phone, none for the modem - but I haven't been able to find a source for them in Dublin.

If you wait for your box of goodies from EsatBT, you'll find that it contains one splitter and two microfilters. You can use the two microfilters for your two phones, and connect the modem to the third wall socket directly.

Or have I misunderstood your setup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

Got a phonecall earlier my line has now been activated I'm no longer pending (I had put in @iolbb by the way). Unfortunately I'm in work so I had to wait for someone at home to try it. It finally works! Ah can't wait to try it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

seems like tha ball is finaly roleing:D

• Advertisement

It looks like this thread has finally come to a close......

The best advice here came from "Bizmark"... so anyone that has been waiting for a long time, should email the people mentioned at the start of the post and dont even bother ringing the customer care....

This worked for me :)

All i can say now that I have it......It is worth it for downloads /games etc,

Woohoo for braodband

Ancient1 any luck yet??

Advertisement