Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iol broadband sorted (nearly)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

i have to stop reading this thread...i guess i'm the only one now.
    Anyways, let me give out a little bit, for old times sake, you know...
    here we go again (the familiar story)...
    Just got off the phone to esat....(i can hear everyone going aaaaaaaaaa!!!)
    they have washed their hands, as its the swiftpost guys who now had a delay and a backlog. Here's what i say :
    "*%%5!!?grrr ?**!!!$%XXXXXX:mad: !!**!***!" to esat.

Is it an offence in Ireland to !&***!!!** this ***** and ****the *****in ****? i thought so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

Originally posted by CubicleDweller
    ADREN - sorry, sounds like I've confused you. I was assuming you were working with a single phone socket. In which case, you can connect both phone and modem to that socket using the sort of ADSL splitter Marx sell.

<snip>

The ADSL splitter basically just filters out high-frequency signals from the incoming line and the ADSL port, and blocks them from getting through to the phone port. The ADSL port is directly connected to the incoming line.

Just to add: DSL modems contain a high-pass filter which blocks the low frequencies phones operate at, so no need for a splitter on the socket where the DSL modem lives.
    Enjoy!
    MK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

No thats the stuff thanks for the explanation cubic m8..

Also can I get that managers e mail off some 1 please.. if I dont do something.. I wont be getting my B for another 3 weeks .. and ive all ready been waiting 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by -ADREN-
    and ive all ready been waiting 2.

tbh that's not really a long time to be waiting...have you been given any ETA at all? The managers names were mentioned a page or two ago on this thread.

They said my 12 days started from Thursday last, and I had my forms sent in 2 weeks before that thursday :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Spud_Gun

I am having problems too. I rang IOL to find out what was happening with my application and when the engineer will be coming out to the house, and I was told that Eircom had rejected my application. There was no reason given except for "Eircom rejected" which is apparently what they use if your account number doesn't match your phone number. I was reassured that the line was compatible and there were no problems showing there. So I checked my Eircom account number and it matched the number I gave them, so the IOL girl reckoned that they had keyed in the wrong account number and she will ring today to see what happened. The end result is that I will have to reapply :mad: and it will be at least 3 weeks before I get online.

Incidently, I asked if Eircom were in the habit of rejecting valid applications (I was thinking that they would reject 3rd party applications and favour their own) but she said that they don't normally do that have been very fair to date. That made me feel just dandio! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Finally got my modem this morning via SDS post. Couldn't connect due to username/password problems, but I'm sure I'll get them sorted when I get home this evening. One funny thing I noticed was that the CD Rom they provided was actually for UTV Clicksilver! I'd have thought Esat would either use their own, or a generic one, rather than advertising UTV on my computer, but as long as it works I don't really care. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

I have a feeling my modem is coming today, I think Johnmb and myself were in the same batch, hopefully anyway.
    Post doesn't come until 2.30 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Got my modem yesterday and am extremely happy with it :)

I also had a bit of trouble with logon it as we "ordered before a certain date therefor or username was cut by one letter,as it was too long although now you can change it if you want "

Other then that no problems, they didnt provide IE6 e.t.c on the Cd just the bare drivers but then i realised I could just download it in a 2 mins :D

Modem arrived on time and everything me is happy :)

That really is strange the way they gave you the Utv clicksilver Cd :/ That really is odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

i got a cd with a tiny sticker saying "Esat broadband" .........

anyway at lest it worked

remember people @iolbb should be at the end of your username....... Bob@iolbb etc etc etc

k

End of week 7, no modem.
    SDS delivered to wrong address, and package was rerouted.
    "We deliver your promise".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

my modem and stuff arrived on monday but unfortunately im in greece and not able to set it up.. any volunteers! :p i'l be back in bout a week to set it up and i'll let ya know what its like from the waterford region!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

Sent off forms on Friday 4'th July. Got a call Monday 7'th July for password etc.

Called them yesterday Friday 18'th...told me my modem was posted at 12pm in the post and id have it this monday or tuesday. My line was activated days ago apparently. All excellent so far. Hopefully all will go to plan and modem will be here Monday...then we'll see how it goes.

U lucky bastard.. i sent my forms in on july june the 28th or something... and they said the earliest i can get my modem here and line activated is friday the 25th of july :/ and thats after talking to higher powers with in esat.. man ure realy lucky.. or else ure being lied to :/ lets hope its not that

Chances are im being lied too...just a gut feeling. I mean before i rang them up, i predicted exactly what they would say i.e. the modems in the post. Just seems like the easiest thing to do for a telesales person to say...then if its not here Monday or Tuesday...they'll start blaming An Post or Eircom...i wait in apprehension none the less...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

on the phone to them as we speak, was told yesterday line was activated and modem was posted or due to be posted (he couldn't specify), soon we'll see what this person has to say, see if its conflicting...

tick tock....

tick tock...

****in' hold! arrg!

tick tock...

SURPRISE SURPRISE!!!

my line is not active like i was told, my order, which was made AGES ago, is being 'processed' and i should be going 'live' not this coming week, but the week after, and THEN and ONLY THEN will the modem be posted. liars. the lot of them. i was told yesterday that it was ready to go live! i swear if i ever meet them i'll break their legs! i live a 10 minute walk from the ****in' HQ, (at least i think it is) maybe i should talk a walk down.....

Originally posted by Einstürzende
    i swear if i ever meet them i'll break their legs! i live a 10 minute walk from the ****in' HQ, (at least i think it is) maybe i should talk a walk down.....

*yawn*
    That's a great way to get results, way to go!

It's not about getting results, it's about respect. They seem to have absolutely no respect for their potential customers, and just blatently lie to them. That is what pissed me off most about dealing with them. I could have lived with the ridiculously long wait if they had been honest with me about it. They slipped up, and I caught them out in their lies as a result. I was then emailed by their team leader who claimed it was a misinterpretation of the information as it had been presented, and that they had resolved the issue so that no customers going forward would have the same problem. Obviously she was just telling me more lies. I just hope that the customer services personnel that deal with current customers are more honest in their dealings than the sales personnel are with potential customers, should I ever need their assistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Johnmb
    I just hope that the customer services personnel that deal with current customers are more honest in their dealings than the sales personnel are with potential customers, should I ever need their assistance.

Yah!:D:D:D they are a joy.

M

• Advertisement

Muck you're acting kinda odd lately :)
    Johnmb et al : If you believe esat are lying to you, then fire off a letter of complaint to bill.murphy@esat.com or even comreg.
    I'd imagine what's really happening is the customer care and sales staff have to deal with a ****ty database that doesn't contain enough pertinent material for them to answer customer queries. i.e. anyone you ring in customer care isn't going to have access to the eircom gateway to check when your line is going to be provisioned or to see if there's any problems up to the minute, as you can't access that eircom site from behind a firewall.

Just a suggestion!

yeah it is mainly bout respect! :)

i didnt mean i'd go down to the hq kick ass eth0_ , i meant that maybe if i was to try and talk to someone face to face i'd get a clearer response than me just being another faceless punter complaining about my broadband (or lack of!) over the phone!

if they didn't have access to what was up with your line i dont see why the cant say it, in 2 days i was told it was active and modem's in post, next day its apparently not even gonna be set up for another 2 weeks. if their screen's are blank in regard to the info we need, surely we, as paying customers (they have our details and committed to a 12 month contract) deserve the respect to be told that they aren't actually sure what stage the line is at, as opposed to blatantly lying to us over the phones. or is my perception of 'customer service' way off?

I don't believe it is a simple problem of them not having the information and being afraid to admit that, due to the fact that when I caught them out they seemed to know exactly what stage my account was at. They might not know what Eircom are up to, but they know what they themselves are up to. In my case they were continually telling me that Eircom had caused delays, but they had been sorted and my modem was on the way. When I caught them out, they admitted that they hadn't even passed on my information to Eircom! They knew that information from the start, but simply lied about it.

Got it lads. My modem came on time and im connected at the full 512kbps.

So all in all i got everything in 12 working days basically...

Very impressed i have to say...

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Lads.....I tihnk you should listen to Etho,

I too was waiting for weeks....promised this and promised that...but when I finally wrote an email to Mr Murphy, ..welll

I sent then mail at 9.10am and got a reply from him at 9.35. ...I recieved my modem the following day...

There's no need to be rude in the email either, just state how long overdue your waiting(I was quite abit) and ask him for his help in dealing with it...

If Ancient1 is about...you should do this mate...you seem to have been waiting as me and your still not connected.

Bottom line lads...the "The squeaky wheel gets the oil"

but remember be nice :D

you're lucky 50Cent - 12 days was the original deal, remember?

I'm waiting 2 months next week. The thing is you need a whole office and 8 hours a day to deal with them effectively...and who has that time? Meant to email them all today, but what's the point? the modem was sent last monday, i guess i have another 2 months of dealing with SDS now....will this ever end?
    So, anyone have any contacts in SDS? Ho ho....

just remembered something !! you guys want to hear a joke:
    on the back of yer contract Esat states that they reserve the right to bill you 150 yoyo's if you dont return their modem within a week ! HA ! You wish bill, you'll be waiting 8 weeks ! and i'll send it back with a courier and make sure it gets lost.....

Well thats the first ive heard of it...i dont even have the bill yet. Obviously they can go to hell...

Nice man at esat (head something or other) said I would have my modem this friday.. I asked him last friday about this, he also said the very latest my line would be activated would be August the 5th!! that word supposably came from eircom .. but that is the latest date possible.. so im hoping for earlier. The bad thing is even when I do recieve my modem I will have waited .. a month for it, and thats not including my line activisation, I may still have to wait for that :( all in all 50cent u are the lucky charm of the world I would guess, its a wonder ure not cut up and sold in little bottles, to people that feel like they have bad luck.

• Advertisement

E-mailed Bill Murphy today, got a response incredibly quickly. He was very nice about it all, and soon after I got an email from their 'complaints officer', assuring me that my line would be active by 27th July (next sunday) at the latest, and my modem would be posted this week before the line is even activated.

This is good news to me, clearly! It is nice to see that the higher people are pleasant to deal with, I just wish customer services could be like that! At least I got similar stories from the top guys!

Advertisement