Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iol broadband sorted (nearly)

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

all in all 50cent u are the lucky charm of the world I would guess, its a wonder ure not cut up and sold in little bottles, to people that feel like they have bad luck.

You can say that again...i dont know why i got it so fast...12 days exactly like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Well my set up took just a little over 2 weeks..... got the phone call about the username and password last Thursday and the Modem Friday. Now for some reason my username and password aren't set up, but I've visibility of the DSLAM. I'm impressed with the installation and overall setup so far. One cool thing I trialled Eircom ADSL about 3 years ago.....back then Eircom engs spent about 3 hours re-wiring my home for ADSL, so I don't need filters etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

Came home tonight to find a voicemail from an Esat person saying there's an engineer in the area and to call back to arrange when they can come in to do the installation :)

I wonder what he'll tell me when I say I'm up & running with the self-install kit?

Ciarán

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Ancient1
    the modem was sent last monday, i guess i have another 2 months of dealing with SDS now....will this ever end?
    So, anyone have any contacts in SDS? Ho ho....

Any SDS package will have insurance AND a tracking number on it. I'm sure Esat will have this tracking number and they can track it on the sds.ie website and see where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

well yeah, i have the trackin number. Last Monday, SDS get the modem from Esat. On THURSDAY, they deliver to my home, when i told (and wrote) them so many times to deliver it to my work address. Esat gets a hold of them, tells them about the mix-up of addresses, and they tell me the "redirection service" will take a day. That was last Friday. What happened today?? how long can does it take from one end of dublin to the other?
    I give up, man. I'm not gonna chase SDS like i did Esat. NOTHING is worth that - when they deliver the damn thing i'll be happy enough, im just exhausted even thinking about this ****....you just cant win. One week with SDS, imbeciles. there's no excuse for that. Checked the tracking number online - parcel delivered?? When i called them they told me " the driver's not in til half six".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

Yup after 5 weeks eircom finally downgraded my isdn line and after numerous calls to iol(to no avail) I mailled bill murphy who replied within 15mins!!Hopefully I will be up and running this week.As said previous I wish the 'support' peeps were brought into the real world and givin a good goin' over with a phone cord:-)

Boys and girls,
    it brings me great pleasure to inform you that the information you are reading has been sent through an adsl modem!
    Finally !!! YEEEEEEEEAH!!! Next week would have been 2 months !And i let the courier live !! My benevolence knows no bounds !
    And just when i installed the lot and sat down to surf, i'm being forced to go and peel the potatoes...is there no mercy?!
    Catch u all later.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Me is clapping my hands for Ancient1......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

yay.... me 2 ..

wahts ure dloads like etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭M03

Nice1 Ancient1.

;)

M03

• Advertisement

Have a steady speed of 8Mbps , which is great, but the downloads are a disaster for some reason (i'm sorry i dont know enough about pings to check & post them:( embarrasing i know). anyways, 3.5MB file in 25 mins?? something's not right, i think i have to reconfigure something...although bizmark mentioned in another thread that the speed is pathetic..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

eh its a 512kbs service so you cant get 8mbs

and ya the speed for me is awful

i know dude, but 8.0Mbps is what i'm lookin at right now..dunno what's going on...

more than likely the modem is gone weird and is telling you its MAX speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I don;t know about you, but i downloaded a 120meg patch file last night in under 30 mins!!

I've not complains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

Obviously its not 8mbps man...

I had that when i first installed but have to say...everything is smooth so far. Im now connected at full 512kbps all the time...and steady downloads...however will give full report in a week or so...

sounds like its a local thing biz..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭napalm@night

ok heres my iol story about 5 weeks ago now i rang up from an application from i had to ring up again and try signing up on the internet before an applicaton from ever arrived each time saying that they had no record of my call eventually time passes and the application from finally arrives a week after i sent it there was still no response from iol so i gave them a ring they said theyd call me back.....an hour later they leave a message on my phone saying theyd lost my application from.....another hour passes and another message on my phone saying theyd found it again....kol me thinks finally things are moving....and i arrange my username and password...2 weeks later im still waiting on something to happen....is this normal or should i ring someone?and after reading some of the stories about slow iol bb connections these days im starting to get worried....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Fabre

DL speed were terrible last nite, felt like I was back with a 56k connection.

same here, it seems to be picking up, even though its always fluctuating.
    on top of that, im not that experienced, so everytime something happens i break out in a cold sweat....told you guys yesterday i had 8mbps displayed, today, after work, a constant 512...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Well got connected tonight to IOL BB (First post on it) and I too am getting these fluctuations in speed, averages around 15kB/sec but managed to get an amazing 51kB/sec at one stage!!

could be adren

But from the other tread i started about the slow speed it seem,s unlikely.But even if it is a Cork city thing im still sure as hell not going to stand for it

no modem for me yet.. supposed to be here on or before friday.. so im waiting for it tomorrow :) wish me luck :D

man ill be pissed if it doesnt come its been 4 weeks now....

good luck adren,
    but as far as im concerned you're not missing anything..i was better off with the dial-up. Been waiting for this 2 months, and its just such a let down, the speeds are laughable.
    **** it, am going for a drink, cant look at the screen anymore...

I hear you Ancient1.

UTV speed test: 23Kbit/sec

This sux.

M03

MO3,
    i did the utv test as well, but it does nothing but depress you.
    I got the www.dumeter.com , its great, even though its a 30day trial version. i have this little window on the side at all times showing all download speeds - the best i got today as in the area of 25kB/sec...give it a try, it'll take you a sec to figure it out and DL it (1MB, well , considering our circumstance....make that 4 mins..)

Thanks Ancient1 I grabbed DUMeter at work (only took a sec ;)).

It's horrible to watch the little red specks at the bottom of the graph! :mad: Then it'll peak for no reason up to 30KB or something.

M03

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

BUMP

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Been on UTV BB for 2 days now and am very happy with it.
    Haven't been disconnected once and pings are all sub 50 and download speeds are stable between 37-47kbs.

I'm in Celbridge which I believe is the Maynooth exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

if noones read the thred on unable t connect to iolbb thingy, any tips for how to make this piece of crap work? my adsl light just keeps flashing yet the tits over the phone keep saying line is active. so it should work. but it wont. and i've done everything it's said to do! i swear i'm gonna kill something! cuz my ps2 NA, nic, and socom came today too! arg!

Advertisement