Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sff

• 01-07-2003 1:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever build one?
    I was looking at the shuttles oc.uk have for sale I was also looking at thishttp://www.sfftech.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=384 some nice looking cases.
    Will heating be a problem?
    will I be able put in a geforce4? Will it fit?
    Anywhere else selling them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Geforce 4 will fit. Heat shouldn't be a problem really. They can get a little hot but it's not a problem. You can always change the standard fan(s) for better ones.

With some of them you can cut away the grill on the back to improve air flow. Wouldn't get too worried about heat, and they're damn sweet little boxes :)

Komplett sell some of the Shuttle ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

yeah i have a shuttle SN41G2, the stock fan a bit loud but i put a noise bocker s4 on it and it s sweet now, using fanspeed i can leave the fan at 7% all night, silent and stil have the cpu/psu at about 42/44 oC

the psu 40mm fan is quite loud but thats next on the list to be modded/replaced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

Do you think I should build one of these as my main computer?
    Is much funtionablity lost?
    My old one is a 500mhz so I wouldnt be using it for anything really.
    Is it really worth the portablility?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

yes i'd say they're worth the portablility. i lugged an entire pc to megalan a while back, and there was Strat with his comp under his arm more or less!!! i'd buy one if i could afford it myself. but not at the moment.
    funtionablity wouldn't be lost. all it is, is a scalled down mobo and fans etc.. nicely fitted into a small box. the disadvantages are; 3 pci slots i think, 1 agp, not sure if network card is onboard, depends on mobo model. Think sound is onboard too on most models. Strat will be able to tell ya or someone with a shuttle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The only functionality you lose is that you can't really put an FX5900 in it :), only one PCI slot in most (the Shuttle ones anyway), one space for a drive, and you can't really upgrade the motherboard aswell as you could in a normal system. Though you could always replace it for a new Shuttle if you wanted a newer board (that supports newer CPUs for example).

Depending on which one you get you'll have good LAN onboard, possibly good audio (on the Nforce one anyway) and onboard graphics. The onboard graphics isn't really good for games though so you'll need to use up the AGP slot for that. Leaves one PCI slot for whatever else you want (like an ISDN modem or better soundcard).

If you don't use the floppy drive, and face it, you don't really need it in there all the time, you can put a little LCD thingee in there too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement