Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a bank?

Options
  • 01-07-2003 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

I am heading back to Ireland from the states in mid-july to start a contract there. I am setting up my own LLC in order to contract and I need to open a business bank account. I have had dealings with both AIB and BOI in the past with my personal accounts and I always seemed to have problems with them if I didn't go to the branch I opened the account from.
    I left Ireland 6 years ago so I am sure a lot has changed, I am looking for reccommendations for a bank to do my business banking and personal banking. I am particularly interested in banks that have online access, good phone service and cater to the mobile professional, it could be AIB and/or BOI now offer decent service but I would like others opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

After many years enjoying free banking in the UK, I looked long and hard for a decent bank in Ireland and quite frankly, can't recommend any.

I still transfer money into my UK account and use my card over here because it's cheaper. I know, unnbelievable, isn't it?

But Bank of Ireland's online banking service is OK.

We need more competition. I wonder whatever bappened to Bank of Scotland's 'bleu' service that was supposed to spice up the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

well, we have the two biggies, Bank of Ireland & AIB (Allied Irish Bank)
    I remember there were a lot of problems with "your account is with another branch" but they seem to have gotten over that to some extent; I live in Dublin and my bank account is is Cork and has been for about 10 years.
    There are still some stupid things like you can't cash a cheque unless it's at the branch where the cheque account is! Stupid or what!?
    But, aside from those two there are others like TSB and Iish National (I think they're still called that) Howver, they tend to have alot less branches than the two mentioned above.
    Basically, you're damned iff you do and you're damned if you don't. Now how helpful was that!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mavedic

After having a bank account in all three main banks (bank of ireland, aib and ulster bank) at one time or another, i would recommend aib. I would warn anyone against opening an account with bank of ireland because in my opinion they are terrible. I had nothing but hassle with them, and stupid things like you can't cash that cheque here, you have to go to your local branch,and disrespect from a lot of their staff, not to mention god awful waiting times and loss of bank cards in the post. Ulster bank are great because they are less popular than the others and there's hardly ever any queues - they also gave me an overdraft when I needed one which the other banks wouldn't do for me. But overall, judging from my own and friends experiences aib seem to be the best. They have a great online banking service and they seem to be quite efficient in services etc. when you need something done. Note that I am a student so that will probably make a difference - if you were looking for a business account you might have a different point of view. Thats my three cents anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Would agree that Bank of Ireland are not great. Got sick of "you have to go to your branch". Tried to move account to another branch and were completley unhelpful, having to close account and open a new one apply again for overdraft etc. Too much hassle!

Went to TSB and they were wonderful. Opened account one day and had new cards in 48 hours! Plus free banking for 18 months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pod

Do any banks in Ireland offer a Visa debit card with the account?

I used to have a business account when in the UK, and it came with a Visa debit card. It was very handy, because if I wanted to purchase stationery (or even stock) from a website I just ordered it online and typed in the Visa debit card number.

Anyone know if it's possible to get a business account here which comes with a debit card..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Debit cards associated to current accounts over here are called "Laser", available in most banks here.

Recognised for cash payments in shops nationwide, but TBH, its limited over here for online use, and hardly recognised abroad.

Originally posted by DMC
    Debit cards associated to current accounts over here are called "Laser", available in most banks here.

Recognised for cash payments in shops nationwide, but TBH, its limited over here for online use, and hardly recognised abroad.

Actually its useless abroad. The Bank of Ireland cards have cirrus and maestro payment methods. Maestro is popular in eastern europe.

Originally posted by mavedic
    if you were looking for a business account you might have a different point of view. Thats my three cents anyway.
    I've dealt with both AIB and BOI as a business customer and I can tell you , in terms of helpfullness, AIB wins every time.
    mm

Debit cards associated to current accounts over here are called "Laser", available in most banks here

So, I guess that means if I wanted to purchase some stock from England I would have to write out a cheque....

I wonder if suppliers in England, accept bank cheques drawn on an Irish bank account

Either that, or send payment by bank transfer; though expensive.

Any ideas on how to pay companies in England relatively low amounts of money - say, up to €150 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

I've always found BOI to be far better than AIB.

They gave me a decent credit card.
    The extend unofficial lines of interest free credit on Current A/c's (very handy when you're halfway through a week long bender and realise you don't get paid till friday... :))
    They reissue lost cash cards quickly (though i did have to collect it from my branch.
    They have MUCH better ATM machines (bright, high contrast, colour as oppose to AIB's dull unreadable 70's retro green screens)
    Resonable online service, i would say very good once you get through all the setting up over the phone.
    Friendly knowledgeable staff.

though i've heard good things about Ulster Bank.

tribble

• Advertisement

"They gave me a decent credit card. "

Is that a business account? or just a personal current?

Do banks in Ireland offer a credit card with their business accounts? Or is this something which you have to get "separately"? - i.e. as a separate product

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

Thanks for the comments. I think I might try TSB for a change. I had a bad incident with BOI about 8 years back, I applied for a car loan, it was approved, they then debited my account with the amount instead of crediting me. This put me into an overdraft which they then wanted to charge me interest on, it took me a week or so to get it sorted out and finally get my money, after a very long drawn out loan application.
    I find the "Laser" card stuff a bit odd. I do my banking with a credit union in the states, they work a little differently here, they have online banking plus I can use my ATM card in most countries, when I go to Ireland I can go to an AIB or BOI ATM and withdraw cash right from my credit union account. I am going to check with TSB to see if they offer a similar service if I was to use their ATM card in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by Kernel32
    Thanks for the comments. I think I might try TSB for a change. I had a bad incident with BOI about 8 years back, I applied for a car loan, it was approved, they then debited my account with the amount instead of crediting me. This put me into an overdraft which they then wanted to charge me interest on, it took me a week or so to get it sorted out and finally get my money, after a very long drawn out loan application.
    I find the "Laser" card stuff a bit odd. I do my banking with a credit union in the states, they work a little differently here, they have online banking plus I can use my ATM card in most countries, when I go to Ireland I can go to an AIB or BOI ATM and withdraw cash right from my credit union account. I am going to check with TSB to see if they offer a similar service if I was to use their ATM card in the states.

I'm not sure you can use TSB cards abroad. AIB and BOI cards can be used abroad on the Link/Plus networks (AIB) and the Maestro/Cirrus network (BOI)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by pod
    Any ideas on how to pay companies in England relatively low amounts of money - say, up to €150 ?
    You could get a sterling draft from your local branch, drawn on a AIB/BOI/UB branch in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I would reccommend Ulster Bank.
    I moved to them after being with AIB for over 25 years. While AIB's service was ok, they charge you for everything.

Ulster Bank don't charge most of the fees AIB does.
    (They are also a smaller, more personal bank)

AIB has gotten more "corporate" and impersonal.

Silvera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Check out National Irish Bank's Cashmaster account - No bank charges at all once you stay in credit. Telephone & Internet banking also available

Checked it out. I'm sold.

So there is an Irish bank that offers free banking. Yoiu'd think they'd let more ppl know about it. I'm going to look into moving my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Yeah, I'm sold too. As soon as I lose free banking with BOI I'll be moving to them.

Most banks will try to make it awkward for you to move. They dont want you to go. Be firm and tell them where to put their charges!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭myhandle

Originally posted by Silvera
    I would reccommend Ulster Bank.
    I moved to them after being with AIB for over 25 years. While AIB's service was ok, they charge you for everything.

Ulster Bank don't charge most of the fees AIB does.
    (They are also a smaller, more personal bank)

AIB has gotten more "corporate" and impersonal.

Silvera.

Whatever is said about AIB, one must concede that its www.24hour-online.ie is fine.

(However, it would be better is the "transfer" option didn't require prior voice addition of accounts)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Best advice would be to keep it yourself in a BIG box under your bed, they're all crap, either charging wwwaaaayyyy too many fees, mixing up accounts, or just generally being unhelpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

I figured I would gve an update on this.

I returned to Ireland couple of weeks back. I went to AIB to open an account, my old account there went dormant and was closed. I was told I needed utility bills among other things and I would have to make an appointment and no they won't cash more than $500 of travellers checks. They were very unhelpful, border line rude even and I found them to be very unprofessional.

I walked a short distance to BOI. I was immediately able to speak with a knowledgeable person who explained the new laws about opening an account, we sat down and worked out a plan that would allow me to open an account immediately so I could transfer some money and they cashed all the travellers checks I needed so I could pay bills. So I will be doing my personal and business banking at BOI instead of AIB.

I wish AIB would realize that customer service is important, the unhelpful sour faced old biddy who greeted me at AIB has put me off from ever doing business at AIB.

I had a nightmare time at the BOI recently while trying to make a a cross border payment - they couldn't tell me how much it would cost. The next day I found out if I had included a IBAN, it would have cost me 50c. in the end up, it cost me closer to €50 because I wasn't informed of the right way to do it and she wouldn't give me a foreign transaction fee schedule. Luckily, I'm in the process of moving to NIB who are more helpful and never crowded.

Advertisement