Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freedom of Information requests will cost €15

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'm a little annoyed with the journalists and the media for this one. They've known about it for quite some time, but they seem to have made very little effort to bring it to Joe Public's attention. Perhaps they don't like the idea of all those amateurs out there stealing their thunder? The big meeja boys can well afford it after all, and their in-house journos won't be paying for the requests themselves...

adam

Today's conspiracy theory was brought to you by the letter 'A' and a small shifty gent by the name of Eric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭theking

To be fair, it ran on the front pages of the national newspapers for the best part of the week, and was in all the news bulletins- frequently as the top story.

Also it was discussed on the Radio news, as well as the magazine programmes like the Last Word.

I'm all in favour of unplugging from the info-splurge now and then, and taking a break for worrying about whatever is the burning issue of the day, but when you do it isn't really reasonable to complain that news you did want to know didn't get to you.

Short of a mail drop to everyone's houses, you'd have been hard pressed to come up with more saturation coverage while it was brewing. It has gone quiet since the Bill was passed, and flared up again now because we didn't know what charges were going to be set. And now that the media have something new to report, they're back jumping all over it. Yesterday, for example, the Irish Times made it the topic of their lead editorial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭theking

Those fees quoted form the Finance FOI charges were paper tigers. I'd requested stuff from them, and even if they asked you for the fee, you just had to ask for them to be waived. The Information Commissioner wasn't happy about them, so they knew they were on shakey ground trying to enforce them. I think they only had them in the info to dissuade loopers from requesting to see everything in the Department.

These new charges are for real, and escalate well beyond international norms. In Canada it costs E16 to appeal compared to our E75 (rising to E150 at the next stage).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Well, I don't see "traditional" news all that much and I'll grant you I did see a couple of, albeit small, pieces, but I think I would have noticed if it was splashed all over the shop. Perhaps I was asleep that week though. :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

Originally posted by MadsL
    Kind of interesting to see what is already being requested. Logs for the Department of Communications, Marine and Natural Resources available here
    Yes quite informative.

And does indicate that there might be a not inconsiderable expense in finding useful public info like "Any records or correspondence in the last nine months on the financial situation in RTE and on the matter of the Cabin Fever programme and the sinking of the Cabin Fever vessel", by The Irish Times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I would be extremely interested in the following FOI request;

FOI/161/2003
    Information on the criterias under which the Minister has allocated grants to selected companies to deploy trial broadband network.

I wonder what the policy is once this FOI data has been gathered - is it then free to the 2nd person to request access to the documents, assuming that it is not posted on the website??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Some one asked for
    "Any correspondence between RTE and the Department of Communications, Marine & Natural Resources between December 2002 and 17th June 2003 regarding the establishment of TG4 as an independent broadcasting service from RTE"

Maybe I could ask them for
    Any corespondence between the Dept and organisations registered with comreg since 7 July 1921 .... ;)

It's a nice Idea to have a link to Winzip on the page.
    unfortunately you can't download any of the info
    and encouraging people to use a commercial application when there are plenty of free alternatives is a bit naff..

It's called a free download - I assume if you can pay for the "free" information you can afford the "free" software...

(click here to download - and the BSA can have your IP in 3 days time...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

do the Gov't still charge you when you point out a mistake that they have to correct..

"the right to have personal information held on them corrected or updated where such information is incomplete, incorrect or misleading;"

Advertisement