Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN - unable to view network shares

Options
  • 01-07-2003 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

I have finally setup a vpn in my office.

My biggest problem now is that I can't access the file server!!!!!!
    Well I can - but I can only see one of the shard folders!

I have checked permissions and nothing seems out of the ordinary. Its a XP machine.

Originally I set this machine up as the PPTP server so that I could access it directly. But that didnt work and I could only see the one shared folder.

Because there is a domain controller on the network, I changed the pptp server to the domain controller machine.... yes I can access everything on this server, but i still cant get access to the shares on file server!!!!

Any thoughts ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Tom

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you have DHCP then add the IP of the fileserver to the list of WINS servers (don't ask)

Net View
    Net View Fileserver
    Net use \\fileserver\share
    Net use \\192.168.1.1.\C$\ /User:MyDomain/Administrator

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Thanks captain,

Just realised that was possible about 4 hours ago... Is this the only way?

Is there no way I can use the computer name???

Thanks again!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

how many ways can you say that... - forget the MCSE stuff - that is how it should work - not how it does..

for the laugh try getting WINS and DNS to replicate entries - you will always be able to - ping computer.domain - but try and get NetBios & browsing to work - it's broken I tell you.

Ok time to edit LMHOSTS add the entries in and then run NBTSTAT -R (not -r) and it might work a bit better
    192.168.1.1 servername

(I take it you have the "allow to see all computers on network" and TBH I can never remember whether you should leave the "use default gateway" setting or not)

Never been brave enought to use #INCLUDE to a network drive 'cos you gotta get to the drive first)

PS. Exchange 5.5 is a bit funny that way - you can ping the IP till the cows come home (visions of IDA chasing Gateway) and no email till get WINS / lmhosts up again...

And oh this is so funny - it can take up to 43 minutes (again MCSE pinch of salt) for names to settle down on a network (for when you are getting DNS to pull from WINS)

Also WINS on some servers shoots up to 99% of CPU usage - and it's a reboot ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Thanks captain - i think this will just have to do so!!!!

Fookin MS..... They could at least tell us it doesnt work!

Anyway, job done - time to move on and try to explain to these no brainers how to map a drive....

LAter!

Advertisement