Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax / PRSI / Health Contribution / Self-Employed

Options
  • 01-07-2003 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

In the finfacts site:-

http://www.finfacts.ie/fincentre/tax2003.htm

for a single self-employed person making profit of €28,000 it states that the tax rate is 20% and personal tax credit is €1520.

€28,000 x 0.20 = €5600
    €5600 - €1520 = €4080 = tax

It also states Self Employed Contributions are:-
    PRSI 3%
    Health Contribution 2%

Would this be 3% & also 2% (total 5%) of the original €28,000 ?
    (not 5% of the tax)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by pod
    It also states Self Employed Contributions are:-
    PRSI 3%
    Health Contribution 2%

Would this be 3% & also 2% (total 5%) of the original €28,000 ?
    (not 5% of the tax)
    It is based on the €28,000 (not necessarily exactly equal to 5%*€28,000, there may be some allowances).

It is not 5% of the tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pod

thanks Victor.

By allowances do you mean the "credits" as listed on the link in my original message?

I think there's also a tax credit equal to 20% of amount paid for household rubbish collection and water charges.

I think these are all the credits; unless anyone knows any others...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by pod
    thanks Victor. By allowances do you mean the "credits" as listed on the link in my original message? I think there's also a tax credit equal to 20% of amount paid for household rubbish collection and water charges. I think these are all the credits; unless anyone knows any others...
    No problem. No the credits / bands / whatever for PRSI / HC are completely different (I know :rolleyes:).

I think for self-employed people PRSI is 3% up to a certain maximum, with a minimum payment of about €300 per year. The HC is 2% over a certain income.

Taxwise there are many credits available, pensions, health insurance, health expenses, rent and mortgages - each has separate requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

The ceiling for the calculation of the PRSI Contribution for self employed individuals has been removed and the Contribution is calculated as 3% of the total self employed income, with a minimum charge of €253.00.

In relation to the Health Contribution, the rate is 2% and is also charged on the total self employed income. There is an exemption from the Health Contribution when the self employed income is below €18,512.00.

Hope this helps out!!

Advertisement