Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual processor water cooling?

Options
  • 01-07-2003 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

i just both me a new board and twin Athlon XP's, modded to run as MPs. my problem is heat. the XPs are running about between 55 - 65Deg C. thats hot by my reckoning. i would like them running cooler. is there a dual CPU water cooling system? all the kits i see all have single CPU. also where in Dublin can you get your hands on a water cooler?
    Any info handy! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭lotas

forgot to mention here is some info about it: http://blog.lotas-smartman.net/archives/000411.php. that site, my blog, has a lot of stuff about the board and stuff. i really need water cooling! at one stage, before i added a load of fans and new power supply, the chips where running @ 80Deg C!!!!! now there a bit cooler at 65 but i really need water cooling! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

As far as I'm aware, one can just buy a normal watercooling kit, and throw in an extra CPU waterblock, and put it in the system the same way you would connect the GPU/chipset waterblock.

For a system like yours though, I'd go for one of the big fat radiators and lots of fans on it :)

I think Elara systems (board here) stock a watercooling kit, but I haven't heard much about it.

The innovatek systems on watercooling.de appear to be good, I've heard nothing but good things about them, but haven't managed to get my paws on one yet.

That jow guy works for some company selling the innovatek kit, he'll probably post here and let you know. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I wouldn't get the elara one, its good as far as things go but definitely not for this type of thing, its more of a noise reduction watercooling kit, then a performance kit. This crowd do a DangerDen Dual watercooling kit, and you can upgrade the radiator as big as you can fix. Measure your case first. They also price in euros, which is handy. I suggest disregarding the standard fans that come with it (ys tech) and going for some high quality low noise fans like panaflo or titan. Also throw in some sound proofing and a GPU block. Keep in mind that by the time your finished this will set you back about 500 euros

hmmm. checking that over-clock uk place. looks good. the price is about the same as most places i have seen. TIP: if your looking at water cooling, dont go for the one in maplin. thay have one thats just a water cooled heatsink and fan. weird. its useless too. seen a review on the net. it heats up to much and the pressure makes the plastic crack. haha. sizzle!! :P haha. anyway, ill have a look. i will look for the big water cooler with lots of fans. i know i seen one somewhere with 3 fans on it. would i be better buying all the bits seperatly? Like buy 2 of the water blocks, the tubing and the pump and radiator from different places, or would i be better buying the whole lot as a kit?

the three fan one is the ThermoChill HE120.3 (3x120mm) and you can upgrade to it using that kit, see the option. But make sure you have the room first and that the fans have a place to go,(air goes somewhere) i say thats about the best kit your goign to buy, as its not a kit, its just aload of parts put together by people in the know, and with a discount. If you feel you are expereinced enough to but together a better one on your own, then fair play, i know what i'll be buying when i have the money. I saw the maplins thing, the minute i read it i knew it was ****, didn't even have to look at a review

• Advertisement

hmmmm. interesting. i think ill check them out. overclockers.co.uk have a water cooling kit with CPU, GPU and North Bridge. looks pretty cool (Pun intended!) the one their selling is from the same guys who made that freezer unit for computers, the vapochill. this one is called the water cool. (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Water_Cooling.html). the water block looks good too. not sure though. will research it a bit more soon.
    its getting hot in here, so ill take off all my Clothes, i meen no! ill go for coffee.
    thanks for the replys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Ive bought stuff recently from www.dtekcustoms.com

I have two Athlon XP 2400s modded to MPs running at a real MHz of 2226mhz. At this speed they are SMP "prime" stable, higher speeds are games stable.

The load temps get to 57 under full load with a relatively mid sized radiator with a 120mm 12v fan running at only 5.5v! Higher voltages = higher speed\noise -> lower temps of course.

This is all cramed into an Antec Lanboy case. I originally had the Radiator mounted internally, but putting it outside reduced heat and allowed lower fan volts. The system generates quite a bit of heat on its own (SCSI, Radeon 9700, 1GB single stick DDR etc), so these temps seem quite good.

In your case I suspect your heatsinks arent mounted correctly or your motherboard is reporting the wrong temps (BIOS update?) as those temps are insane.

Matt

Originally posted by lotas
    hmmmm. interesting. i think ill check them out. overclockers.co.uk have a water cooling kit with CPU, GPU and North Bridge. looks pretty cool (Pun intended!) the one their selling is from the same guys who made that freezer unit for computers, the vapochill. this one is called the water cool. (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Water_Cooling.html). the water block looks good too. not sure though. will research it a bit more soon.
    its getting hot in here, so ill take off all my Clothes, i meen no! ill go for coffee.
    thanks for the replys.

I know of it, the daggerden one is meant to be better then that kit. I'd really appreciate if you actually looked fully at the link i suppled first. You can get a GPU, cpu, and northbridge cooling block as upgrades to the kit i posted, and daggerden stuff looks pretty cool to

i did look at the link and was interested. it does look good. i just wanted to check out info from other people who have this. as for Matt Simis, i have mounted the heat sinks and fans in properly, and i have added 2 fans sucking air in and 3 extracting air, 2 of which are in the power supply. im thinking my heat is good at about 60. i was running it at 80 for about 20 min before, under the bios!!! no load, no OS! Mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

That jow guy works for some company selling the innovatek kit, he'll probably post here and let you know. :)
    Hi, "jow-guy" is back from france..... ;)

so sorry about the delay.

lotas: what case do you have? what freq are the cpu's? what graphics card?
    Generally:
    All watercoolings kits on the market (or almost all) can be "converted" just by connecting a additional cpu-cooler.

we only sell innovatek, so have look for other products (you have done this I assume).

What I can tell you from our point of view: if you have a _very_ big tower you can go for a dual-radiator. Normally it is not neccessary.
    the single radiator, with a 120mm fran, installed in a case will do it, even when you connect the gpu and the northbridge (does your northbridge have a fan? If not you don't need to watercool it).

That makes the installation very easy.

You can get a good cooling efficeny from all cpu coolers. When you want to overclock your cpu's you should go for a rev.3 cooler.
    On all other cases the flatflow or the x-flow will do the job!
    The eheim 12v pumps in our sets are ok for dual-cpu.

So it is absolutely no problem to have a dual-watercooler, just add an additional cpu-cooler to a set and maybe a gpu-cooler and that is all you need (ah: de-ionised water of course).

For the efficiency: The last system I installed before my holiday had a xp2100 CPU and a Coolermaster HHC-L61 cooler.
    The CPU temp was around 50 up to 55 degrees when gaming.
    After installing a complet set R3S and connecting the Geforce 4200 the temperature dropped to 37 up to 41 degrees. And there is only one 120mm fan running on the single radiator and thats all.

If you have any questions ask, or send me a pm.

regards

jow

• Advertisement

right. case: http://www.peats.ie/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=4769&type=6&path=14x122x539
    Video card: ATI Rage Pro 128, dont laff!
    chips running @ 2Gz each
    my north bridge does have a fan on it. Im looking at one on overclockers.co.uk and i can buy a system with the GPU, North bridge and CPU cooler, or just the CPU. so im looking at getting just the CPU cooler, the WaterChill KT03-L20, which i have looked up on the net, looks good. also i can add a second CPU cooler to that too. So, it wont be for a while, but when i do get it, ill check to see where else i can get that. Thanks for all replys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭zepp

that looks cool, but i got me 2 fans already that work very well. check out http://www.lotas-smartman.net:8080/photos/Computers/aero-7-20030725/?view=jpgthumb.hts . they work well and are bringing my chips down to about 50Deg. Pretty neet and quite cheap. 45 quid each in peats.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭maxpower

lads wher can i get me one of them... the mb with dual cpu's and xp's modded to mp's

Advertisement