Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using E111 (Medical) in Northern Ireland

Options
  • 01-07-2003 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

If someone has a completed E111 form

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/moving_country/moving_abroad/e111.html

does this mean they can go to a gp (at no cost?) in Northern Ireland, when in Northern Ireland?

Are there any restrictions on the medical condition which you could see the gp about when there (i.e. using the E111 form).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

if you have an E111 form then you are entitled to the same rights as nationals of that country

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Not nessecarily. The E111 only covers emergency treatment.

However, the UK does not require you to have an E111 form - but to get access to a GP you may have to register, and because you aren't paying any National Insurance contributions, they may make you pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pod

QUOTE:"the UK does not require you to have an E111 form"

So does this mean you would not even require the E111 form when in Northern Ireland; just proof that you are ordinarily resident in Republic of Ireland (such as a driving licence or whatever)

So does this mean you would not even require the E111 form when in Northern Ireland

AFAIK you do not need an E111 anywhere in the UK. I don't know if you need any ID - I know I haven't when I had to visit the A & E in a mainland UK hospital

So, did they not ask for any info such as your address (in Ireland)?

Did you just receive treatment, and they didn't charge you anything?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by pod
    So, did they not ask for any info such as your address (in Ireland)?

Nope.
    Did you just receive treatment, and they didn't charge you anything?

Yup and nope. Only paid for the prescribed medicine I needed afterwards.

In that case, I wonder if people along the border are always going across to A&E in the north; if they don't get charged

- or even to see the gp...!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by pod
    In that case, I wonder if people along the border are always going across to A&E in the north; if they don't get charged
    For gun shot wounds it is usually the other way around. ;)

Advertisement