Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EvE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Originally posted by STaN
    you should try alt + enter...

it switches it between fullscreen mode and window'd mode

ahhh I think I spotted that last night ...
    also for some reason pressing the 2 mouse buttons together on my laptop does the trick. :-s :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

What corporatins arer u guys in.

List them below. If you are not with a player driven corp then say that u are not with one. Also add your race + name.

Name: Zarik Wan
    Race: Gallente
    Corp: None

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Name: Sinead
    Race: Caldari
    Corp: Kindergarden Corp (Don't laugh)

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

Demonbaby
    Calderi
    Not in a corp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Morbeis

Been playing eve now since september, around 10 months or so and im still going back for more. Even in beta when, at times, it was barely playable it was still fun for some reason. The game gets _alot_ better once you join a corp, i played one round of beta solo, then join Chimera corp( who later merged with BIG ) and the game totally changed, if you have fun solo thats cool, if you dont try joining a corp it really does make things alot more interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Name: StokolaN
    Corp: Intergalactic Space Agency (personal Manager) :p

Our corp is small at the moment. we are recruiting all are welcome. we're all really friendly and helpfull towards each other. if ya want to join the corp and your in that region of space drop me a line or come to Pakkonen IV Moon 18 - Caldari Construction Foundry and fill in an application. also for more info ya can check our site http://www.eve-igsa.com. At the moment we do a lot of group mining and a few are dedicated to manufactoring and trading, a couple of others like to go loot NPC's..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Guys;

I personally have the blueprints for;
    Maller(ME0)
    Thorax(ME2)
    Celestis(ME5)
    Armageddon(ME1)

Most M/L proj bp's
    AM/Plut M
    AM S

250mm railgun
    800mm artillery
    1200mm artillery
    200mm autocannon
    mega beam laser
    All Heavy/Cruise missiles

I have Production Efficiency 5 too.

Give me a call if you need any of the above, or your corp is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Just started playing this on saturday. Great fun so far. Made a couple of mistakes that cost me heavily but ill get over it.

Name: Laeus
    Corp: None

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭paddyman

So far things are a blast, were running riot in the syndicate region atm, pirating every corp in the region. The regional alliance which consists of about 20 corps has declared war against us but haven't had any luck yet, yaaaaarrrrr!!!.

Another smaller pirate corp is joining with us so even more firepower for us now :).

Were also setting up an alliance with 2 other corps and are going to claim a few systems for ourselves. should be up and running within a few days.

Im still always on the lookout for good irish lads and lasses to rob and plunder with, ATM though we more so need ppl in aleast crusiers :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Going to get in this in the next few days hopefully (whenever I get my new graphics card :) but where did most of you buy it and how much!

I've seen it in game for €45, on www.play.com for £17.99 (€26) but out of stock :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

how does the game runn on isdn?

The game would be playable on a modem or isdn, as it doesnt require a super fast connection. I play it on dsl though and from time to time I find it slow loading menu's and chat rooms.
    Althought this game requires a lot of time, and if your playing on a dial up or isdn, its gonna cost a lot.

The choice is yours.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

im on freesreve anytime £14.99 a month for 24/7 access!

sweet :) Your alright so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Is there an irish site/server?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

Originally posted by steve-hosting36
    Is there an irish site/server?
    theres no local servers for EvE due to the massive amount of users playing in one universe. i was playing the game on isdn when it was during beta and it was perfect except when the servers went crazy and kicked us all off.

adnans

Is there a server version that can be run? It would be neat to be able to set up new systems or stations by running a server :)

Anyone know what the monthly cost is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by adnans
    theres no local servers for EvE due to the massive amount of users playing in one universe. i was playing the game on isdn when it was during beta and it was perfect except when the servers went crazy and kicked us all off.

adnans

they have a server downtime for an hour each day for backups etc

Steve, it costs about €10 a month. There are only the developers servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Is there a server version that can be run? It would be neat to be able to set up new systems or stations by running a server

Dont think that would be a good idea, therd be new systems popping up everyday. Besides a limited number (albeit a fairly large number) of systems makes it more interesting, yunno corps vieing for control of a megacyte belt or whatever. Great craic

• Advertisement

Wonder would they entertain 'local' sanctioned systems, ie a bunch of servers installed in Dublin for the Irish/UK users?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

steve i suggest trying the game out and playing it for a week or two

Steve there main servers are based in the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

My copy is somewhere between play HQ and me at the moment, so i should be making an appearence sometime within the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

This game sounds fun. Hope to join you guys soon.

Im well into this now, its great :)

Name: Ytar Irom
    Race: Gallente/Intaki
    Corp: United Federation of Spice

Getting my skills trained up at the moment now, must say im hooked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Been playing about 2 weeks myself, loveing it so far. Saving up for a crusier and other goodies now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

Ive just read some negative reviews of this game on gamespot:

Is this guy accurate?
    EVE Online has nice graphics, but that's about all I can say for it. The server code is not stable, there are memory leaks in the client, the interface is extremely complex yet fails to provide mechanisms for basic interactions (no in-sector map, no way to see the facilities offered by a station without docking), there are play balance issues, travel between locations is excruciatingly boring and the autopilot often doesn't work. Most importantly, though, the game feels empty. There's no reason or occasion to stop and talk to other players.

From the in-game map, it seems like there are thousands of sectors to explore. But they are all the same, varying only in the color lighting and the security level, which affects the types of minerals and the difficulty of the pirates in the asteroid fields. There may be many players in the game, but they are spread out so much that you'd never know there were more than 4 or 5 unless you watched the newbie chat window (which, by the way, you cannot close).

The goal of this game is to make money. You can join a corporation and make money faster. You may even end up in a corporate war. You can research new technologies, and set up factories to produce weapons, equipment, etc. But, there's no reason *why* you should do this. There's no story giving you a reason to pursue any of this. As a goal, money provides a shallow incentive. After mining asteroids all week, I have found no reason to continue playing.

I was really excited about this game, thinking it would be a replacement for Earth & Beyond. In fact, it is worse in almost every way. In space games, when everyone's warping around, there's minimal player interaction compared to games like Asheron's Call or Anarchy Online. Eve is worse in this respect than E&B, since you don't even leave your ship in stations - you just watch it float in the middle of the hanger while you navigate the interface to trade or find your next destination. Plus, where E&B has MOBs and asteroids spread all over the place, in Eve both are always found together, and only in small pockets of each sector. Eve also doesn't let you interrupt your warp, so in the rare instances where you see something interesting on your way from point A to point B, there's no way to stop and check it out. E&B lets you jump in and out of warp at will.

When I bought this game, I thought I'd be cancelling my E&B account. Instead, it is my Eve account that will be cancelled.

I get the feeling this guy didnt put too much play time into it. The server code was unstableish for about a week and a half about a week ago but its since been fixed fine. Its the first ive ever heard of there being a memory leak in the client - i certainly dont experience it. The interface is perfect for the type of game eve is, but i guess thats subjective on my part. The point is, the way the game is built you dont _need_ an in-sector map, much as that sounds strange. Once you play it youll understand it wouldnt be needed.

I have yet to hear of an MMO game that doesnt have some sort of balance issues, but the developers listen well to the community are are constantly tweaking things. I would say that travel between locations is implemented far better in eve than it is in UO etc etc. Instead of having to constantly steer your ship every step of the way, if you switch on the autopilot it will take care of itself and get you where you want to be. It leaves you free to chat away to corp members or do any number of other things while your on your way wherever you want to go. The autopilot issues were sorted 2 patches ago, it works flawlessly now.

There are a large number of players around in the central parts of the galaxy all hours of the day and night. At peak times (~ 7pm-12am) theres >5,000 players on the server. If your looking for company, theres loaaads of it out there. Saying the goal of this game is to make money is akin to saying the only goal of UO or EQ or neocron etc etc is to make money. Sure, its important, but its not the driving force. Money is the enabling factor for higher play - corporation wars, exploration, etc etc etc - its not the end objective.

Ill be playing this for the forseeable future as im enjoying it - i cant really think of a better thing to say about an MMO game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

In sector map is there (f11)

You can right click on stations to find out there facilites and even filter the map to display stations by facility in the whole galaxy.

Autopilot bug has been fixed.

Granted travelling is a wee bit boring but once you train up you can get a micro warp drive or even afterburners to speed it up.
    Also depending on where you are travelling there is also a risk of player pirates blockading the jumpgates which makes things interesting.

So yeah that guy doesn't know what he is talking about.

I've been playing for about 3months now and this is my first MMORPG and I find the community to be very chatty and helpful.
    There have been recent developments with regards to news reports etc which provide a lot of backstory content and events.
    Organised events are becoming more commonplace and the developers/community are really trying to make the game more "involving".

Advertisement