Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

either a very silly question or a good one LOL

Options
  • 01-07-2003 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭

i was just thinking about how there isnt really any devastating weapons in Desert Combat et al, its all tanks helos etc. I was wondering would it be possible to have nuclear weapons in the game, weapons of last resort type of thing.

It would not be accessible right at the start (it would be a short game LOL), but perhaps by completing set tasks like base capturing and keeping them for a set time then the weapon would be made available, would love to see the mushroom cloud going up and wiping everything out in one go, course the shockwave would prolly be a bugger to code and script.

I dunno i think of strange things in my bed at night, the code prolly couldnt do it, but an intriguing idea nest pas

Regards

Shin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Can't really say I think it's a good idea at all.

The whole point is that both sides are pretty much equal. You battle it out, and the people with more luck and/or skill win in the end.

Sometimes one side looks to be winning and then gets squashed by the opposition. It's a great little struggle. If you're doing badly, give your team a kick up the rear and pull yourselves together.

Nuclear weapons mean you could just come along and wipe out your enemy in one foul swoop. Wouldn't be much fun at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Ignoring the fact that a nuke would wipe out you and your teammates too, it just doesnt sound fun. Its getting back to that dated plant\disarm the bomb CS style gameplay. Thankfully BF1942\Desert Combat is not CS.

Besides, there is one WMD in the game, the Iraqi SCUD. If you really have to kill a lot of people quickly, practice with that.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

The scuds pretty damn weak tho, but its weakened down like mad for a simple reason - balance.

Where would the balance/skill be in nuking somewhere? The skill in scudding may not be great, but staying alive in that big truck is no easy task, light armour, slow as hell, large target, a colossal minimum range. You cant defend yourself at all, thats the skill in scud'ing, leave it like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

U could have it as a way of drawing....If one side have lost all their bases and was down to say a set number of tics (i.e 5) then the scud is armed with a nuke (or other vehicle) And if the winning side has a large number of tics left it has little effecft as the no. of players die and respawn. BUt if the winning side is also very low. It can be a way of a very good opp which had fought to the bitter end of squeezing some justice out of their so minor defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

There is a balance coming to equal the Iraqi SCUD in .4 The US will have Guided Missiles. The Guided Missiles will be similar to the current Tomohawk missiles and will be fired off the back of a boat.

The way they work is they will have very bad turning and, i believe a limit of 2 minutes of 'fuel'. The missile when fired will become like a plane and the player will 'fly' the missile to the target. The limit turning etc. of the missile will stop it from being flown around the map waiting to hit any enemy that appears :)

On the DC forums some people asked about putting in a nuke but it was very quickly shot down. You would end up killing all the enemy and also TK'ing your whole team.

• Advertisement
Advertisement