Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigsmart Compilation CD - Best of Irish Unsigned

Options
  • 01-07-2003 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Friday July 4th - Gigsmart Compilation Best of Irish Unsigned Released

Friday 4th July, 2003 sees the launch of the most exciting release by Irish acts this year. Nineteen unsigned bands from Dublin, Cork, Carlow, Meath and Galway have contributed their musical talents to produce a ground-shaking compilation disc to be released nationwide.

This new compilation is the first to be released nationwide and will be supported by a brace of gigs and record shop in-stores across the country.

This release is unique in that it was funded through the fundraising activities of the bands represented on it.

Once released this CD will showcase real music by real musicians undiluted by the mechanisms of the production line pop world dominating the market presently. It is all Irish produced, pure and real. The bands have all funded their own recording costs, produced their recordings and composed and arranged their own songs, a quality fast becoming a novelty in the wider music scene.

At a retail price of only 10 euro for 19 high quality tracks varying from melancholic balladry (Pier 19) to hard edged but catchy Metal/Pop/Ska (mike got spiked) this disc will please all and alienate few.

Other highlights include the pristine production and Obsolete "Add To The History", the abrasive and catchy pop-punk of "40%" by Pinion and the evocative cinematic soundscape of Polar's "South".

As a cursory listen through this small sample will reveal, the scene existent in Irelands so-called underground matches and often betters the manufactured diluted music available on the mass market presently. This CD will therefore alert the discerning record buyer and gig goer to the relatively higher quality homemade music available freely and cheaply in their local venue and record shop.

About Gigsmart

Gigsmart is a non-profit organisation run by musicians for musicians. The organisation was founded in Dublin by Trevor Mooney and Thomas Brunkard in 2001 and is
    co-ordinated by them and Niall Stynes. The organisation aims to promote unsigned original Irish music and encourage excellence and amongst its members. Since Gigsmart’s inception its co-ordinators have been responsible for managing and promoting over 200
    concerts and selling over 500 copies of its previous compilation disc. To date the Gigsmart website has had over 73,000 hits and 22,875 message board posts. Each band page on our site has had at least 500 mp3 song downloads providing massive exposure over the web.

Gigsmart is expanding its network rapidly around Ireland and after the CD will begin promoting shows for Irish bands in the U.K.

Calendar of Confirmed Compilation Events

Friday 4th July

Nassau , mike got spiked and Oz Play Nancy Spain's in Cork City. Doors are 8pm and admission is 7 euro or 5 euro if you present a copy of the new Gigsmart compilation at the door.

Saturday 5th July

Al Capone Suite, Otranome, Pinion and The Eight Day, Devereux's Level 1, Carlow Town, 6 euro or 3 euro if you present a CD at the door. All Ages Afternoon Show, doors at 1pm.

The Beautiful Losers, Tower Records, Wicklow Street, Dublin 2, All Ages Afternoon Show, starts at 1pm

Thursday 10th July-The big one!

Release Week Party featuring sets from:
    Ginseng, The Al Capone Suite, The Murder of Crows, Popstar, Me in the Park, Pinion and
    Nassau and acoustic sets from Sundogs, mike got spiked, Tokin and Keith Mullins from Pier Nineteen.
    There will also be an exhibition of Fire Poi outside the venue on the night.

Venue: Temple Bar Music Centre, Crown Alley, Dublin 2
    Doors: 7:30 .
    Admission: 6 euro

MORE EVENTS TO BE CONFIRMED!

Compilation Stockists

The new Gigsmart Compilation is available in the following record stores:

Dublin

Tower Records Wicklow Street, Dublin 2
    Freebird Records Eden Quay, Dublin 1
    Road Records Fade Street, Dublin 2
    Sound Cellar Nassau Street, Dublin 2
    Rhythm Records Aston Quay
    Black Track Records Clondalkin
    Golden Discs ( Wherever Adam works ).

Carlow

Rainbow Records Tullow Street.

Cork

Virgin Records

Waterford

BPM 4 Blackfriars Road

Wexford

BPM 9 Selskar Street

Meath

Heart Beat City Unit 14 Tower Centre

Galway

Zhivago’s 5 Shop Street

Dundalk

CD World Dundalk Shopping Centre

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

do you have the full track listing?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Smiler

Originally posted by Tyrrial
    do you have the full track listing?

Check out here man

http://www.gigsmartireland.com/forum/philboard_read.asp?id=3852

Looks great, i'll be getting myself a copy as soon as the date arrives....
    good work Gigsmart!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

You have to go to the gig in the TBMC on July 10th. It's gonna be serious fun with seriously good music with myself doing sound for the acoustic side room...yay!
    Roll on the 10th!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Hi All,
    This disc is going to be massive success and many of the bands on it are really making headway now and starting to make a name for themselves through alot of effort from Gigsmart and of course the bands themselves....the gig on the 10th TBMC will be absolutley fantastic gauranteed,......anyone at the Otranome launch will tell ya that the buzz around the gigsmart scene and well the unsigned scene in general, its really taking off due to the quality of the bands involved.......if you never go to a gig try to get to this one and you'll see what all the fuss is about, such a strong line up to support some fantastic talent all brought to you on one disc(19 songs packed on there withonly seconds to spare on the Cd )and all in one venue !!!!

All the best
    Trev M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭LA_girl

Okay Everyone, the CD is on sale TODAY so get out there and get buyin'!! It's the best thing you can do to help out these bands and the Dublin scene as well, and you'll get a fantastic, high-quality disc in the process. Everybody wins!

:)

Vive le unsigned!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Its only €10! They'll be in Tower Records Wicklow Street from about 3pm today but if you can, please go to our instore on Saturday @ 1pm featuring The BEautiful Losers. Gas thing is every co-ordinator in Gigsmart will be out of Dublin butt loads of the bands will be there!

1. Me In The Park - Cheesecake
    2. Ginseng - Deep Inside
    3. Oz – She’s My Heroine
    4. Nassau - Hand of Hope
    5. Polar - South
    6. Pier 19 - 2:39am December
    7. Obsolete - Add To The History
    8. Tokin - Broken Reflections
    9. The Beautiful Losers - Relapse
    10. The Murder Of Crows - Gotta Gun
    11. Sundogs - You Want It
    12. Otranome - Another Dies Young
    13. The Al Capone Suite - Court Jesters
    14. Pinion 40%
    15. Laminate - Couldn't Care Less
    16. Popstar - Great Expectations
    17. Mike Got Spiked - 5 Second Heaven
    18. Splinters - After All
    19. The 8th Day - Rise Against

Its the best Irish release since 'Live and Dangerous'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

This Cd is seriously rocking, Get one now!

look great, don't think i could say no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 ci

you know you want to... its ggggggreat.... wll done everyone!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭gilly

Bloody hell its fantastic...

Never before have i seen such talent from so many unsigned irish bands..

The songs are amazing, credit where its due! i really hope this one goes far, because everyone involved deserves it..

Kisses

Gilly G-String

Buy it now if you havent already...tower records and road will help it chart higher, and you can say you helped make some real Irish Music matter.

it really is a very good album, well done everyone. i think i'll be listening to it non-stop for the next while

Whoo-hoo! I've heard fantastic rumours about the rate at which this CD is selling out in Tower and Road...

My personal fave tracks are Cheesecake and 5 Second Heaven.

What are yours???

polar with south is a great song and Oz's song is very good aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Morello

Good stuff, fair play to Gigsmart and the bands

My favourites (in no order):

5. Polar - South

I wish to say hello to Popstar as I played my first gig in Ireland with them (first Morello gig ever) at Brazer (sp?) in March 2001..... sweet memories.... :)

Originally posted by Morello
    Good stuff, fair play to Gigsmart and the bands

My favourites (in no order):

5. Polar - South

I wish to say hello to Popstar as I played my first gig in Ireland with them (first Morello gig ever) at Brazer (sp?) in March 2001..... sweet memories.... :)

Alrighty man

When's the CD launch

Mick :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Morello

Originally posted by Smiler
    Alrighty man

When's the CD launch

Mick :D
    Sometimes in September, cheers. I PM now you as I don't want to plug on the comp thread... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

well worth the 10 eurons me thinks

hows it doing? i feel very very out of the loop with no electricity, running water etc

we're completely in the middle of no where

You poor boys! You mustn't have even seen it yet! Its in Zhivago's from today I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

Never before have I witnessed such hyperbole..

Its a very average album, with the exception of polar (although South is not their best song), its a collection of bland rock songs that you could hear in any bar in town at any night of the week.

There is nothing anywhere near exceptional on the album and not one of the songs stuck in your mind after repeated listening.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bandit
    Never before have I witnessed such hyperbole..

Its a very average album, with the exception of polar (although South is not their best song), its a collection of bland rock songs that you could hear in any bar in town at any night of the week.

There is nothing anywhere near exceptional on the album and not one of the songs stuck in your mind after repeated listening.

Saucer of milk for table 2 me thinks :D

What's a "hyperbole"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

Try again Bandit. If track 17 doesn't stick in your head there's something wrong with your memory.
    Granted, not all the tracks are amazing masterpieces, nor are we claiming them to be, but we are trying our very best to get the good bands on the Irish scene some recognition. Don't knock us.

Funny, Bandit, you're the first person to say anything negative about the album. Sounds like a case of someone saying "X band sucks" just because their style of music is not his/her cup of tea. The Compilation has a wide and varied range of styles, and because of this I think the majority of people who've bought the album have had a positive reaction. There's something there for everyone. It's a shame that your tastes are so narrow that you could only find one song that you liked. It is inconceivable to me that tracks like "Cheesecake" and "5 Second Heaven" couldn't get stuck in your head - they have incredible hooks to them! Ah, well. To each his own!

Why are you two argueing with him guys

Just laugh at Jelous boy ho ho..........!:D

Oooops that should be "Jealous Boy"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭T.B.L.

It's a hell of a lot better than I expect it to be, not that I thought it would be bad but just hadnt heard a lot of the bands on it, my favourites are "another dies young" by otranome and possibly "hand of hope" by nassau. Just like to say thank you to everyone who turned up for our in-store in tower, very much appreciated and hope yous enjoyed the free sweets! tom

www.beautifullosers.info

I'm with Smiler on this. Treat this CD with the same mindset as any other. For too long there's been a condescending attitude to indigenous music. The fact is that there are bands out in Ireland that make mincemeat out of the competition. Our CD is our way of making that point. Polar Vs Coldplay? Mike Got Spiked versus Linkyn Park? Pier 19 Vs David Gray? Those Irish lads would knock the bejasus outta whats force fed to us at the minute.

This CD is about showing that homegrown music is not something you are obliged to love out of some sort of patriotic duty. The point of this CD is to show that these are unknown artists that knock the known artists for six. There's so much variety and quality on that disc it would be hard not to find something you like.

Obviously not everyone is going to enjoy it. I'm not concerned because I firmly believe they wil be in the minority*. I had to restock our CDs in Carlow today already (its only been onsale since Saturday!) and Tower Records have sold out their 2nd box of 100 today (I'll have another 100 in there tommorrow! Don't panic!). The Gigsmart email box is filling up with enquiries and my phone is ringing and beeping positive txts & calls all day!

Its HUGE!

Anyway its only €9.99, theres 19 bands and hundreds of people have already bought it and gone nuts over it. Odds are it'll have something you like on it

Regarding Bandit: Bandit recently posted that he/she believes that Pearljam's Ten and Radiohead's Ok Computer are the most over-rated albums of the 90's. Evidently he/she is eceptionally hard to please! Thanks for buying it and taking the chance anyway!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭gilly

Now the Launch Gig as some of you may know, the Launch night is set for July 10th and features a string of events, including 8 live full electric bands on the main stage ( Nassau, Obsolete, Pinion, Me in the Park, Popstar, Murder of Crows, Ginseng and Al Capone Suite ) 4 acts on the acoustic side room ( Keith Mullins from Pier Nineteen, Mick and Lucy from Tokin, Mike got Spiked and Pat and Neil from Sundogs ) Gilly G-String and her mates doing a beautiful display of fire poi outside the venue and some of the best irish unsigned bands being played in the bar by our top MC’s with maybe some special guest MC’s from another worthy organization ( watch this space ).

Its 7 Euro in, and you can purchase a copy of the GigSmart Compilation at the Show for 8 euro or you can make a double purchase and get both the GigSmart CD and another CD from our friends in Irish Unsigned with a catalogue of Irish Unsigned acts for 13 euro ( so thats admission and two great CD’s with over 7 hours of great music on it for 20 euro, you won’t find it anywhere else ).

This gig is gonna be a stormer of a night come along and support your scene.

Kisses, and i'll see ye all there...

Damn it im proud of you guys!

Gilly G-String
    :rolleyes:

Okay folks, now's the time to get out there and get your copy if you haven't yet. This is a fantastic album and if we can push it into the top ten of the charts it's going to make great things happen for these unsigned bands and pave the way for the future of the Dublin music scene. Support your local bands!!!

:eek:

• Advertisement

Just found out that HMV have agreed to stock it.

They also said that it wouldn’t be hidden down the back somewhere, it would be up front in the New Releases section and if it does well they said that they’d talk to RMG about getting some funding for the CD to be placed in the Listener’s section where anyone can put on the headphones and listen to the CD before they choose to buy it.

Nice one

:D

Advertisement