Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV in a heap ?

Options
  • 01-07-2003 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

is UTVip offline ? I can dial in but all web access fails, trying to get through to support is impossible as no-one answers.

Thanks

M.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I dialled in twice and had no access even though I was connected. Third time lucky...

First time this has happened in months tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

No probs at all for me tonight...if you can get into newsgroups, try and post to utv support for help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Have dialed in to the new service twice so far...got in first time on both occassions...but thats just my experience.

Even if there are some issues, have to give them the benefit of the doubt for a little while on the basis that they would sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Sticky

I have been having some probs too... error messages such as:

- Loopback detected
    - Wrong Password

After a few tries I get in (without changing anything - like the password :))

(I am connecting to the 1893 number from XP via ISDN not using the dialer)

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭MarkMI6

Hehe yeah they do seem to be clogged up a fair bit. Notice how this has happened after 6? Probably a few thousand people all readyy scared to go online during the day, so they're testing it out after 6 just to be safe :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I only signed up this week and have been having problems with mail and dialup too. Everythings fine (including UTPip mail) with my backup eircom free account though. Though I hate using it and giving eircom money. Hope UTV get it sorted fast. Not a good start for me on UTV though.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

I've just dialed in to the XL number for the first time.. I could connect fine, but no webpages would load and I couldn't access my mail... I'm back using my Eircom account now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Martin-UTVi

We had a few problems tonight with IP allocation among our XL customers. This has been resolved. Apologies for any inconvenience caused. We're obviously monitoring the service closely at the minute and appreciate your feedback!

Yup its all working for me again.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Hey, thanks for your feedback Martin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭XbLaDe

I must say i haven’t had a problem connecting to UTVip XL since i got it the other day although, ive moved from IOL No Limits to UTV and noticed my modem only connects at 42kps sometimes (iol used to connect at 51.2 all of the time ). I also noticed that the service is marginally slower ....

Although its a bit slower the customer care compared to IOL is superior and the offering off a fixed ip address for an extra €5 pm saves me trips into the office :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭drjolt

If I dial the utvipxl number, it picks up but no modem responds at all. If I dial the utvip number, I get normal service (well, I do now, modems were answering but I couldn't do anything more than ping the other end of the PPP link). What the hell are UTV playing at? Am I being charged for utvipxl calls with dead modems on the other end?

Which number is the correct one for utvipxl?

(I'm still getting regular disconnects BTW)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Originally posted by Dampsquid
    I've just dialed in to the XL number for the first time.. I could connect fine, but no webpages would load and I couldn't access my mail... I'm back using my Eircom account now.
    Had same problem. Changed the number in my old DUN to the new one and it worked. Very odd.

Had the same problem several months ago but I can't remember what I did then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭drjolt

Originally posted by RicardoSmith

Well, UTV have developed an unfortunate case of paranoia about revealing phone numbers. They do give the main number here http://www.utvip.com/faq.asp?loc=ie&id=74&stext=&listcat=UTVip%20XL&title=XL, but macintosh, linux and router users are denied use of the backup numbers they have (this is what they mean by 'By not using the dialer then the quality of service during peak times cannot be guaranteed.'). They have a Mac dialler linked from another FAQ entry, but it only has the 1893 number in it (from what I can see) so it's no better than a manual config.

So, you pay the same for less service.

Interestingly, I can now dial up with utvipxl, but their transparent web cache is denying me access to everywhere, and (yet another annoying utvip feature), since it's transparent, I can't bypass it when they funk it up.

Grr. Argh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

UTV XL 1893 242 242

I also am finding it difficult to stay connected for more than a few mins
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Disconnecting after a few minutes. very very annoying.
    gonk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I guess it must depend on what area your in?
    I'd imagine certain exchanges are under pressure and others not. Might wanta start posting your locations.

I have gotten online on first time dialup each and every time with the new service.

Still disconnecting and my connection speed has gone down to 12000bps. Is there anything I can do about that? I know my previous speed of 16000 was bad but this is the worst.:mad:
    gonk

Checking on it tonight my connection is still a heap :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Martin-UTVi

Checking on it tonight my connection is still a heap
    We're not seeing any problems at the minute - what exactly is wrong with your connection? Might be worthwhile giving our support line a call.

I've emailed support a few times. I guess I'll have to get on the land line. Its back working again this evening though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Dragon

Tried connect from Clare lastnight was getting on 1 in every 3 tries, and when it did connect above 28.8kbs it didnt last more than a few mins and then wouldnt even load a web page.
    I hope this is fixed really soon because it is looks bad that a new system should cause so many problems at its startup.

I am in Laois and have emailed utv a few times my connection is down to 12000bps and when it does go up to 16000bps it only lasts a little while before it disconnects. It also took me well over 10 times to connect this morning :(
    gonk

Mines been ok for the last couple of days expect that I'm getting frequent disconnects. I'll have to phone support to get them to chase it. But I haven't got aorund to it yet. Could be something my end but it doesn't happen with the other ISP I use.

Mines been ok for the last couple of days expect that I'm getting frequent disconnects. I'll have to phone support to get them to chase it. But I haven't got aorund to it yet. Could be something my end but it doesn't happen with the other ISP I use.

Ditto!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

hmmm, all this is a bit worrying...
    i wonder if it's too late to cancel a direct debit...

ah feck it, i've got faith in utv. i'm sure all this is just teething probs

Hey Ricardo,

how's your connection now? are you still getting dropped every few mins. as I am?

Perhaps it is an area / exchange thing, what area are you dialling from?

Also, the dialler software thing only works for me some of the time, other times it asks for the password 5 times then disconnects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

just connected for the first time, itconnected at 37.2... more or less the same as i got with eircom...
    am i right in thinking that there's only one number for the whole of ireland??? (the 1893 one)
    the setup program asked me for a local number which was a bit worrying...

• Advertisement

tman, the number to dial is 1893 242 242 from the south.

Advertisement