Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building new PC - Fresh install?

• 01-07-2003 8:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭

Im building a Pc from scratch but i will be using hard drives from my previous PC,
    Should the new PC boot from the old hard drive no problem? or will i need to do a fresh install before it works?
    Im guessing it will boot up but it would be much better in the long run to do a fresh install? (registry etc)

Any Ideas?

New PC:

Mobo: Abit IC-7
    CPU: P4 2.6Ghz (800Mhz FSB)
    RAM: Twinmos PC3200 2 x 512 (Matched Pair)
    HDD: 120Gb WD (8Mb) + 80Gb (boot - XP PRO)
    CASE: Skyhawk Miditower

Sean

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

If you can afford to install a fresh copy it would prob be best, but not esential!

Have done both myself and there both running fine. If you have files on the main drive that you havent backed up , save yourself some hassle and boot from the harddrive as it is. If your not happy just install the fresh copy.

PS make sure you install all your drivers even if it seems 2 be running fine!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I was in the exact same positon about 3 weeks and after putting the new parts togeather the damm pc wouldny boot up into winxp. I had to reinstall winxp to solve the problem.

Just boot up with the winxp cd in the drive and it will give you the option to reinstall the os.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

ah it'll probably boot up fine. I took a HD home from the office and plugged it into my own system and it booted no problem. Had to install all the new drivers etc but nothing serious.
    Having said that, you should probably then install a fresh copy of XP.
    The setup runs faster if you do it from a Windows OS rather than from booting from the CD or floppys.
    Or what I do if I need to install an OS (like w2k or XP which both take quite a while) is to install Win95 or 98 first has you can get these up and running inside 15 minutes, then install win2k or XP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

If the motherboard or ide controller is radically different from the old pc then you will run into problems with NT/2000/XP, it won't boot and a reinstall will be necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

In XP, you could probably do a repair installation over the current installation when you plug the hard drive into the new computer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,149 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

itll boot but wont make windows, you really should do a freah install, i do a fresh windows install every time i get a new gfx card or motherboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Thanks Guys,
    I will try and boot with the old hard drives and then probably do a fresh install to sort things out!
    Ill let ye know what happens!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Konix

what are the disadvantages of installing...say...windows 2000 now and then Xp later...what does it affect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

as Kali said, if the motherboard is vastly different it wont work.
    ie
    switching from intel to AMD or even from 2 different chipsets it probably won't work as the OS will have installed driver to work with that chipset.

As was said, if it boots it boots, if not try a repair or re-install.

edit: Konix i dont understand what you mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Sticky

I had the same problem going from Intel to AMD... repairing, reinstalling over the old install did not work. Had to fresh install on a different partition to get it to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

The chipsets shouldnt matter, have been switching my hard drive from a MSI KT400 to an ASUS A7N8X nforce2 - with little or no probs!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Im moving the drives from a P3 450Mhz (Dell) to a P4 2.6Ghz On an Abit IC-7 Mobo?
    If it boots It will will be nice but as all my important stuff (mp3/dvix etc) are on a seperate Hard drive, it wont be the end of the world!!
    I should have it built by tuesday of next week, just waiting for komplett to get it to me!
    Sean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Personally I'd always recommand a fresh install on new hardware, but that point has been well made by others above.

What I would also suggest if the disk you want to use is old(ish) and you can afford it is to buy a new one. The new disks are really so much better (quiet and fast) that it is really worth it in the long run. One of my test machines here (xp home, p2-450, PCPartner (intel i810) 256mb SDRAM) is running a 40gb Maxtor 7200 (about a year old now). The machine doesn't do a lot admittedly, but even without all that much CPU compared to other boxes here it pretty decent - and a lot of that is to do with the disk.

D.

Advertisement