Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Database driven site

Options
  • 02-07-2003 2:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭

hi,

I'm looking for a tutorial/book that'd help me get a database-driven site up and going. Something simple with the ability to add, edit and delete content through forms (a simple user interface). I'm pretty OK with PHP and I'm fine with HTML but I've very little experience of mySQL (or tieing PHP and mySQL together)

Does anybody know a good online tutorial for this, or perhaps a book you found useful?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Well if you arent able to do it in any language I would reccomend Coldfusion simply because of the easy learning curve. If you wanted to get a bit advanced look into Asp.Net . It is the newest thing its quite good :D (Better if you have Visual Studio.Net :rolleyes:)

If you want a free mathod of learning use the internet of course :) Check out www.hotscripts.com download some basic scripts and try to figure out whats going on.

Check with google as well for tutorials in whatever language you do decide to go with.

www.amazon.com browse through the books there , any decent book will have chapters devoted to making database scripts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Thanks. I'd be looking for the free internet tutorials as I don't make money off my sites, so therefore i don't have any :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭JJSolutions

I found http://www.w3schools.com usefull it explains all the asp objects and it now has asp.net. It also hs tutorials for most elements of web development

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Best laid out php manual I've seen yet......

Go here
    http://www.php.net/manual/en/

Then go here for all the functions available for mySQL.
    http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.mysql.php

Then buy "PHP in easy steps". Explains the whole tying together of PHP and MySQL very well. Costs around €15.

Hope that helps,
    A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

pm sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Originally posted by RobertFoster
    hi,

I'm looking for a tutorial/book that'd help me get a database-driven site up and going. Something simple with the ability to add, edit and delete content through forms (a simple user interface). I'm pretty OK with PHP and I'm fine with HTML but I've very little experience of mySQL (or tieing PHP and mySQL together)

Does anybody know a good online tutorial for this, or perhaps a book you found useful?

Thanks.

the best book i've found for php/mysql was:
    Build Your Own Database Driven Website Using PHP & MySQL by kevin Yank.. tho i think you can only get it from there or amazon.com

in terms of sites, sitepoint.com is ok, devarticles.com is a very good resource site

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I've been a member of sitepoint for a long time and there forums are quite good. However in the past 6 months or so the site has become very commercial. Its not like boards where they want a community it has now stepped up to a business site, perhaps that is something to remember when looking around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Yep , i wud recommend php/mysql as u can get lots of free scripts :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

www.3dbuzz.com have some video tutorials on php/mysql available to download.
    I havnt thried them but their ones on 3d max are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 jahras

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/99/21/index2a.html

This is a good guide to how to use php and mysql together.
    Just remember if you are using a recent version of PHP you will need to enable register globals or put in a line like $variable=$_POST before you can use each HTTP variable.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭fizzy

i would *highly* recommend the book "php and mysql web development, 2nd ed" http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/067232525X/ref=sr_aps_books_1_2/202-1520824-8335818

there's lots of free stuff on the net too but i found that in the case of getting my head round database driven stuff that nothing came close to this book.

some books are references full of functions, others are baby step here's how you write a while loop books but every so often you find a book like this full of real world examples that you can get your teeth into and tweak. it explains everything very well and there is a thick portion of the book taking you through various case projects including a shopping cart and a content management system.

most books i can take or leave, but this one i love! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

thanks for your help everyone, I'll be sure to check out those sites and books.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Originally posted by fizzy
    i would *highly* recommend the book "php and mysql web development, 2nd ed" http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/067232525X/ref=sr_aps_books_1_2/202-1520824-8335818

there's lots of free stuff on the net too but i found that in the case of getting my head round database driven stuff that nothing came close to this book.

some books are references full of functions, others are baby step here's how you write a while loop books but every so often you find a book like this full of real world examples that you can get your teeth into and tweak. it explains everything very well and there is a thick portion of the book taking you through various case projects including a shopping cart and a content management system.

most books i can take or leave, but this one i love! :)

Great! i'm buying it - Really want my hands on this book. Sitepoint forums www.sitepoint.com - also a great resource

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

A great website is: PHP Freaks, they offer great tutorials on php & mysql. They run you through all the commands in the scripts, its a great way to learn the basics of the languages.

Advertisement