Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No C: drive on a W2K server...

Options
  • 02-07-2003 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a server with Windows 2000 Server, I didn't setup it and (don't ask me why!) there's no C: drive, the boot is D:.

The problem is that I need a C: drive because the backup software (arcserve) need it for its registration file...

What will be the simpliest way to change my D: to C: without re-installing everything (Exchange, Notes, FTP,...)?!

Let me know if you need more details...

Thanks
    Raphael

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

a) setup a second partition and call it C:
    if you have space - dodgy for later apps

b) rename the existing one to C: - in disk admin (it is burried in comp mngt in control panel - I hate the way stuff moves between NT$ / 2K /XP)
    not recomended if ANY apps are installed

c) Arcserve - Ha Ha - over the last three years I've tried to get it to move the dB file onto D: - because it did not release the space when you purged the logs...(yes the "backup program" mounts denial of service attacks on your server) - Had to convert C: on two servers to NTFS to compress it - really annoying'cos now don't have an option to delete the dB if need to reinstall) - you can reinstall it and tell it to use D: for dB - but you will not know for thirty days if you got the registration right or if it is still in demo mode..

In batch files in NT4/W95 I can use %windir% to ID the system drive and folders.... - there must be a setting in Arcserve to choose a different folder or it is not designed to run on 32bit windows.

d) get a real backup program :)
    'cos bad as arcserve is at backing up - restoring is worse (even backup exec is better at restoring arcserve tapes once you need to merge/catalog them again.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭kernel32.dll

a) setup a second partition and call it C:

U cannot rename a drive after the OS is installed...setup writes a lot of hard coded paths to the registry, so it's impossible to rename the partition the OS is on without causing a LOT Of grief and risking your installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

And what about a SUBST to map a folder to C:...

Is there a way to make it permanent...
    it's not that the server needs to be restarted every day... but it's Windows so!

Raphael

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Subst C: D:

now the trick is how to start this as a service.. - would you have to compile the batch file to an exe first ..

probably best to look at www.ca.com or google for a real solution.. Personally I'd use NT backup ahead of Arcserve if the entire drive could be backed up on a single tape in a resonable time. use AT to run a batch file that formats the tape and away you go ....

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

Hi,

Thanks for your help...

Well I tried CA.com but the document (10068) in their knowledge database didn't fit the bill...!

I think I will look into the SUBST c: d:\ this might be the one as I just need the registration file only on the C: drive.

Cheers
    Raphael

• Advertisement
Advertisement