Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petrol prices good news for once

Options
  • 02-07-2003 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Just to show that its not all bad news living in Ireland a recent trip to France has convinced me that we're doing a lot better than them as far as petrol prices go. Unleaded over there is over a euro per litre. Here in Ireland i can get it for 79.9.

So at least we're not the most expensive country in the eurozone for everything

Comments

You'll find the Gazole ( diesel ) is much cheaper in France though.
    Yeap, I think according to the AA, we are either the third or fourth cheapest for a litre of unleaded in the E.U.
    mm

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

IIRC France does not have extortionate road taxes like this country but have higher taxes on road fuels therefore making the higher road users pay more - kinda sensible when you think about it but can't ever see anything sensible happening here
    Killian
    (who has to pay over €500 soon in road tax)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by kbannon
    Killian (who has to pay over €500 soon in road tax)

Just paid €1056 this week myself :-((

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Lower road tax maybe, but if you are driving any great distance, then the tolls make the EastLink seem like a bargain...
    egs: here

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I drove through France both last summer and the one before and had absolutely no objection to paying the tolls as the autoroutes were of such good quality, design and convienence. The toll routes here are just a money making scheme on [compared to the european equivalent] sub-standard back roads - for some strange reason the europeans think road safety is something that should be part of the design process

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

just heard on the radio that they're thinking of adding another tax to our lives to try and reduce emissions. So the likes of Coal, Gas, Oil, Petrol and Diesel will be hit with yet another tax. That's Ireland answer to everything. Make it more expensive to stop people using so much of it.....
    • People Drink too much......raise drink prices!
    • People Drive too much.....raise Road Tax
    • People smoke too much....Keep raising the price of fags
    • Ireland emits too much crap in the air......add another tax to fuel

Instead of looking for a solution to the problems faced in this country, the government take the easy way out and just make things more expensive through taxation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

I think there is also another reason the government is upping tax on the "old reliables"

People Drink too much (oh and theres going to be a big exchequer deficit)......raise drink prices!

People Drive too much (oh and theres going to be a big exchequer deficit).....raise Road Tax

People smoke too much (oh and theres going to be a big exchequer deficit)....Keep raising the price of fags

Ireland emits too much crap in the air (oh and theres going to be a big exchequer deficit)......add another tax to fuel

But hey we didnt up income tax, aint we nice??
    but seeing as how about 99% of the population does one or more of the above we still get more money off you.
    Thanks!
    Bertie & Co.

P.s. Dont be bitter, we're hurting too ye know..we arent buying our luxury €50,000,000 plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭FT77

corkviewer wrote:

on 02-07-2003, 09:39

Just to show that its not all bad news living in Ireland a recent trip to France has convinced me that we're doing a lot better than them as far as petrol prices go. Unleaded over there is over a euro per litre. Here in Ireland i can get it for 79.9.

So at least we're not the most expensive country in the eurozone for everything

How times change !!! :rolleyes:

I was driving from Tipp to Dublin this evening and i stoped at a petrol station to fill up because i was very low :eek: (petrol) ...

the petrol station was on the tipp side of Roscrea at a TOP Petrol Station.... and it is €103.9 per litre :eek: :eek: :eek: .......

That was the most i've ever paid... i don't go around looking for cheap petrol (maybe i should) but i got petrol in the petrol station at Newlands Cross the other night and it was something like 97.9c per litre ! not bad :) ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I just paid 87.9 at the local texaco with my dunnes stores voucher in hand :)

Advertisement