Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sdsl?

Options
  • 02-07-2003 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Anyone know when SDSL is comming out? Esats site says it will be available soon and speed up to 2mb both ways! but im wondering anyone know about Eircom or who ever else running SDSL Lines? would be nice! Hmmmmm. 2mb down and up. sweet! :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

2Mb upstream is a waste for most ppl. I'd much rather a cheaper 2048/512 or 2048/256 ADSL line

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭lotas

im running cable modem and im using it to host a few websites. the funny part about this is though its running grand and fast, and even though the sites are small, i need more upload speed. 2mb upload would be good. DSL @ 2mb is available at 400 a month. thats why im looking for it. it would be nice. damn english! some place over there just released a 6mb down, 512k up connection! 6mb down!!!!! cool! :P pity its not here. though now with BT in the market .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

I did notice this on netsources site
    Leased lines range in capacity from 64k to 155mb
    Now that would be nice. You got to meet with their corporate sales manager to get a price tho. That can't be a good sign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by lotas
    Esats site says it will be available soon

Their site sez that about everything ESAT ever did or will ever do.

It probably includes stuff that has not been invented yet. ESAT will have that available soon as well, just in case ya thought of asking for it.

M

hehe. MrPink. a note on Leased lines. there are VERY EXPENCIVE! VERY! i ran NTL asking about them and was qutoed something like EUR15,000 for the year at 256k/s. Eircom then charge money for the line, on top, i think, of that 15K. it then doubles till you reach 8mb i think, when they change from one type of connection to the next. not sure prices after 8mb. SDSL is a lot cheaper then Dedicated lines. even is it where 2x the price of 2mb DSL, it would still be about 800-1000 a month. thats 12k for the year for 2mb, compaired with 15k for 256k. BT are running SDSL around the Uk, and now there here and theres a market for them, i dont see why they cant fix the problem with esat and the stuff that wont be out for years thingy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

I wouldn't expect that SDSL would be massively cheaper than a leased line.... otherwise they'd have to pack in leased line business.... I'd say, don't hold out for it...

well the reason leased line will stay is becasue SDSL has a limited speed. up to 7.1Mb/s i think. If a massive company wants more then 7.1, they need a leased line. also its limited in distance. <2miles i think for some speeds, and even less for the higher speeds. i heard that 7.1 is only available in some places in the US and you have to be in the same building, practily, as the exchange or your ISP. buildings there are big enough, so it is posible!

Advertisement