Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idiot proof (free) firewall with two "red" interfaces?

Options
  • 02-07-2003 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭

Hi folks:

I don't know if this is the right forum - the name's right, the charter appears right, but I'll give it a lash anyway.

The question I have is whether there are any of the firewall linux (or similar) distros that can let me have two "red" (i.e. connected to outside world) interfaces?

I've currently got a Smoothwall (2) box here, attached to an Eircom DSL line. I'll also soon have a connection to a nice fat college pipe (:D) but I need to run all of the traffic through the firewall as I want to prevent certain traffic (you know what I'm describing here) going out through the college net.

As you may have guessed, I'm no network engineer. I can't calculate octal netmasks or any of that fancy stuff, so I need a simple enough solution that'll allow me to do what I want.

I understand that it's possible that I can set up the college network on what Smoothwall calls the orange (aka "DMZ" interface - is there any specific difference between "orange" and "red", or should I be really looking for a setup with two "red"s?

I hope this hasn't been too confusing. TIA,
    Gadget

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Alternatively use two firewalls

Correct me if I am wrong but if you setup the College on the DMZ then the world can access it through the DSL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Will repost question in Unix forum - thanks.

Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

floppyfw will do it for you

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

But not to worry - it was just giving out the wrong subnet mask on DHCP - if you go with the defaults should be fine - but even if you can't figure out how to get both if's up then just scrounge a pair of 486s - they are Very quiet without fans (esp if you can get your hands on a laptop with damaged screen :) )

Advertisement