Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First gig you ever went to and where and when????

Options
  • 02-07-2003 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭

Mine was Pet Shop Boys in 1989 at Birmingham NEC.

The support band was a symphony orchestra and I hated the PSB's but my mate paid for me to go, they couldnt sell out so some travel company were offerin tickets+coach for half price.....really enjoyed it tho, nice coach!!

Most recent gig was the Manics at Glastonbury!!!!!

'Die in the Summertime' - thankyou, james/nick/sean/(richie)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

My first one was Slane '99 (Robbie williams headlining). Most of the bands playing were pretty meidocre although I quite enjoyed Placebo and Gomez. I actually fell asleep in the middle of something like David Gray, not sure if it was him though.

My brother's first was Dillenger Escape Plan at Leeds Festival last Summer. As far as first concerts go I thought it was pretty hardcore :D

Dregin

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

U2, landsdowne road, august 1997- y'know, the one with the big lemon! (think his name's bono)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

My first real gig was also Slane '99. Went to see Stereophonics. They weren't great. Good day though.

Last gig was Fair Verona, 20 Bulls Each, and two other bands neither of which I know the name of, in Eamonn Dorans about a week ago. [Better than Slane]

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

First gig was Therapy? in the SFX in 1993.

Reason? Eh...cos they were playing?

Support from Pet Lamb and Kerbdog, 'twas a cracking gig all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

I'm finding it difficult to recall, but I think it was The Sultans of Ping in the SFX circa 1993. I think I brained my damage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭GerK

Originally posted by Space_Coyote
    I'm finding it difficult to recall, but I think it was The Sultans of Ping in the SFX circa 1993. I think I brained my damage.

Thats funny you told me it was Wham!

Mine was probably Crowded House in the National Stadium musta been 1989 or 90

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Cozpyro

Aerosmith in the Point - 1990

Don't think I need to give a reason for this!!

Still sticks out in my mind as one of the most amazing powerful shows I've ever seen.

Most recent would be Springsteen. (Well FLC really but that was work!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

i think mine would have been metalica in the point a few years back, can't remember the date off hand... but i remember it was a good show...
    and why i went? most of my friends were going.. don't think i'd go to see them again.. once was enough:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

I think it was a Daniel O'Donnell concert because my granny bought us all tickets. I don't remember where or when but I know I was somewhere between 8 and 11 years old!

However, my first GOOD gig was Def Leppard in the point in 1994 or 1995. Deadly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Hip

Sonic Youth and Nirvana in the Top Hat in '91.

Ah, the memories...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

originally posted by GerK
    Thats funny you told me it was Wham!
    No that was you that sold your Kajagoogoo and Thompson Twins records so you could go to the Wham concert. Do you still have that signed photo that George gave ye ? ;););)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Pearl

I vaguely remember being at Joseph Locke when I was about 3 ("Hear my Song" guy). But first real gig was Wham! in '84. I've no problem admitting this, I've said it on air too! It was a toss-up between them and the Cure. They put on a great show.

Most recent amazing gig was Springsteen in the RDS. A legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭James_M

A-Ha

either 23 January 1987 or 12 December 1988.

Not sure which (taken from here )

I was made go.

Really enjoyed it though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

EMF supported by My life with the thrill kill cult, Mcgonagles, early 1992.

My parents were so worried about me going up to the big smoke with just 2 mates.

cracking gig though, this was before I became a musican/music lover....when i was still innocent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Thin Lizzy in Slane in er....1983. I was about 7 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

mine was queen, slane 86

still the best gig of all time

'mazin..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

pretty sure my first gig was gomez in the olympia in bout 98/99. was a good gig, dont even listen to them now though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭ilovehoovering

jj72 in the annexe, cork - december 2000. it was okay. Turn were just as good playing support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Hello all,

Mine was Huey Lewis and the News (support from Melissa Etheridge) in the Point in 1988 (December I think). Was the first musicy gig in the point and it was absolutely feckin fantastic. Only sorry I missed them at the Olympia this year.

Earlier, but not really a gig I suppose was the fabulous 2FM "Lark in the Park" a couple of years previously featuring:

Flo McSweeney (off the telly!)
    Paul Cleary & the Partisans (Feckin class)
    Light a big fire (Great stuff)
    Assasin (****e beyond belief)

Regards,

Pete Reed
    Phantom FM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Mine was Smashing Pumpkins, Supported by Filter

June 1996 , The point Depot

www.freakfm.com

:ninja:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭sodiumlightbaby

Originally posted by Pearl
    I vaguely remember being at Joseph Locke when I was about 3 ("Hear my Song" guy). But first real gig was Wham! in '84. I've no problem admitting this, I've said it on air too! It was a toss-up between them and the Cure. They put on a great show.

The Cure didnt play here in 84 Pearl ? ...ooops sorry presumably you were somewhere else...?

My first gig...The Stranglers - The National Stadium May 1989...I was a very late gig goer considering in 33 !!

They were amazing, full brass section and all excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭starlet

Take That, the Point, November 93 i think. i was about 8 and i moaned the whole night. the best gig i was EVER at bar none. the best bit was when they dressed up as gangsters. and for anyone whose first gig was Wham!, i'm SOO jealous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Therapy? - late '96 early '97
    The attic of some pub near Tara St.

'bout 50 sweaty hairy guys jumping up and down SCREAMING and a lonely 15 yo me.

Managment told us to stop jumping 'cos the roof was falling down on the floor below us!

Fantastic gig and was free too:)

tribble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Microdisney / the buisness
    Lark in the Park (Blackrock park) 1983
    got beaten up by punks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Miss-Misery

My first gig was fun lovin criminals in the olympia in april 99, and it was absolutely amazing. I'd been obsessed with them for ages, and didn't think i'd get in cos i was a very young looking 14. It was on a schoolnight too, in second year, there was a lot of pleading with parents for that one

Originally posted by tribble
    Therapy? - late '96 early '97
    The attic of some pub near Tara St.

'bout 50 sweaty hairy guys jumping up and down SCREAMING and a lonely 15 yo me.

Managment told us to stop jumping 'cos the roof was falling down on the floor below us!

Fantastic gig and was free too:)

tribble

I hate you!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It was the Sunstroke that the Chilli Peppers headlined. Not sure of the year.....maybe 95?

T'was 94.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭lacuna

My first real gig was Placebo in the Olympia in December '00.It was pretty damn good except that the ceiling started to fall on Stefan which was funny...so all in all a good time was had by me. I had been to others before but i'll not mention them as i was probably forced to go or went for some crazy idiotic reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Originally posted by the corpo
    mine was queen, slane 86

You jammy git! I was too young to go, same problem when GNR played Slane in 92. :(

No matter, mine was Brian May in the Point in December 1993, a life changing road-to-Damascus experience - My hair has been blow dried as straight as possible ever since!

Drum Solo was amazing, seeing Brian May do 'Since You've Been Gone' was odd but 'Teo Torriate', 'Driven By You', 'Tie Your Mother Down', 'Love of My Life' and 'Hammer The Fall' have been running on repeat play in my head ever since.

I am fully aware that I am a sad little man.

Advertisement