Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is UTV Clicksilver a non starter?

Options
  • 02-07-2003 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Is anyone out there using UTV’s Broadband yet?

I ordered it over 2 and a half weeks ago, but still am not up and running. I got one mail from them a while back to tell me that my “phone line meets the requirements for broadband provisioning”, but have heard nothing since. I mailed them twice in the past few days, but no response.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the hold up was down to Eircom, but it would be nice if UTV had the decency to respond to my mails to let me know what’s happening. I’ve been a customer of UTV’s (dial-up) service for months without any problems whatsoever. I’m disappointed with their broadband service so far, I hope it improves soon for everyone’s sake.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 elsoldemayo

I think UTV support are still finding their feet regarding BB. I aksed why I can get DSL from Eircom but the UTV online availability checker says DSL is not available from my exchange. They only answer I got was their checker is working from the latest database so they don't know why I can't order Clicksilver.
    This is easily the worst response I've gotten from utv since signing up with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

just used the migration thingy under my acount to order clicksilver.fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Eircom say 15 working days currently for ADSL. Give UTV a break :), it isn't their fault eircom are over whelmed. I have a touch of good news however. Eircom have now outsourced 50% of the work to an outside contractor who also does work for esat, supprise supprise ... :)

Hold onto your hat, and you'll get it. lets hope their teething problem's don't resemble Esat's :)

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Spud_Gun

As far as I am aware, that contractor that Eircom have outsourced to is Ericsson. They are the people who perform Esat BT's engineer installs. I imagine that they would also be messing around with the line at the exchange also. I don't particularly care, as long as I am not left waiting too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Malcolm

Originally posted by original gadget
    Is anyone out there using UTV’s Broadband yet?

I ordered it over 2 and a half weeks ago, but still am not up and running. I got one mail from them a while back to tell me that my “phone line meets the requirements for broadband provisioning”, but have heard nothing since. I mailed them twice in the past few days, but no response.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the hold up was down to Eircom, but it would be nice if UTV had the decency to respond to my mails to let me know what’s happening. I’ve been a customer of UTV’s (dial-up) service for months without any problems whatsoever. I’m disappointed with their broadband service so far, I hope it improves soon for everyone’s sake.
    I am sorry that you have not had a reply to your e-mails but we are extremely busy at the moment.
    We are experiencing some delays in the provisioning of broadband orders and DSL customers whose orders are in progress should have received an e-mail indicating the delay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Hence the:
    Due to the high volume of orders received and procedures in the broadband provisioning process we are experiencing some delays in activating your order. We are taking all necessary steps to ensure prompt delivery but some of these factors are out of our control.

UTV Internet are sorry for any inconvenience this delay may cause but please be assured that we are doing everything within our power to rectify this. We will continue to keep you informed on the progress of your order.

Best regards,
    Malcolm Thompson
    Operations Manager

Good to hear you're getting a shedload of orders anyway, though it better not slow MY service down ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Good lord. I wonder what those external factors could be? Could it be a certain telco beggining with an "E"?

I signed up on the 17th of last month which is... *quick look at calender* 16 days ago. I imagine that Eircom are now telling UTV that the original 10 days is now 20 days, but given that Eircom already told alledged porkies to UTV I'd say UTV don't want to give people an exact amount of days in case there's further delays from our wonderful national carrier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

The bit I'm worring about is having the installation fee debited from my VISA account ... weeks BEFORE any work is actually carried out.

Let's say the delay extends in to months (due to eircon or any other 'external' factor for that matter)... what then? They still get my money up front and out of my account without having to deliver anything.

c0y0te

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

And just to make matters worse , I'm about to add my name to the utv b/b service , so by tomorrow they will have one more to look after . Sorry Malcom but its your own fault , if ye weren't so easy to deal with ye wouldn't get so many coustomers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 original gadget

Well, 4 weeks later, and still no broadband – I knew I shouldn’t have signed up on Friday the 13th!!

I’ve got a couple of vague mails form UTVIP – the basic jest of the mails were “…blah… sorry for not responding earlier… blah… we are busy…. blah, its all Eircom’s fault… blah …… we will let u know when we find out…” etc.

I should I have faced the wrath of my landlady, and put up that Irish Broadband receiver on my chimney!!

Hindsight is 20/20!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 blueforest

I signed up with UTV on July 1st, and similarly haven't heard a peep from them since, but knowing that there are delays on Eircom's side has just led me to put it at the back of my mind and let it arrive when it arrives. I'm pretty sure I'll be happy once it is available... I trust the UTV guys are sincere, and doing their best given the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I signed up on the 4th of july and already received 2 mails.
    one saying my migration had gone through the other today saying I had passed the first tests .

So I guess only about another month to go :(

John.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Im patient.. Im not signing up with anyone till UTV get their shít together, or Netsource has enough bandwidth thats stable (at the mo it looks ok).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

From the time you get the "Test passed" email (and they bill your credit card at this time) it is supposed to be three weeks.

Or so I was told. I got an email just today saying there is a delay. So with talking to people, etc I would say I am close to 4 weeks without anything except -€99 to show for it.

Pretty much what Malcom mentioned above (do you work for UTV? Or just cut and pasting an email?).

TBH I could of done with the broadband for work well over a month ago, but I will wait but I would like a more definate time frame or confirmation that I am not going to run into anything that will stop me in a weeks time because it could of been done now.

Hmm...I got an email receipt for the €99 installation fee, but I didn't get any mail regarding whether or not my line passed the tests or not prior to that. Are you sure they only bill you once you pass the tests?

Originally posted by Hobbes
    Pretty much what Malcom mentioned above (do you work for UTV? Or just cut and pasting an email?).

Cut & Paste.

I emailed admin@u.tv the other day asking for any updates (it's been about 16 working days now) and they said that I should have it by next week.

Fingers crossed.

Just got this email now:
    Further to our last email regarding the delay in processing your application for broadband, we expect to have your account activated by the middle to end of next week. We apologise for these delays and will continue to keep you informed on the progress of your order.

Regards,
    Malcolm Thompson
    Operations Manager

Wewt :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Mork

I got the same email too... Nice one UTV! :) hopefully we won't see anymore unforeseen delays.

-Mork

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Got that mail aswell

Mork & BattlingCheese - just curious, but how long has it been since you ordered? Just want to try and gauge how long i'll have to wait. Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It's getting plainly obvious at this stage that the company (not who you might think!) who are activating UTV customers' DSL are jerking them around.
    I wonder if they've even submitted one order to eircom for UTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

BlueForest, Like original gadget I signed up on Friday 13th June

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Mork

Blueforest,

I signed up on the 18th of June, long awaited but with UTV's service and support it will be worth it. They are far better than the muppets that work for €ircon.

-Mork

Cool, thanks. I signed up at the end of the June, so I'll likely have a little bit to wait yet..

It's nice to hear that the ball is beginning to move though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by blueforest
    Hmm...I got an email receipt for the €99 installation fee, but I didn't get any mail regarding whether or not my line passed the tests or not prior to that. Are you sure they only bill you once you pass the tests?

I asked about this previously. The woman said it is a deposit you have to pay to get the line checked. If you fail the check they give you back your deposit. So you will probably be billed regardless.

Sent an email a few days ago. No reply.

So I rang just now. I've been told Eircom are causing the hold up not UTV/IP. As soon Eircom get thier finger out I will have my connection. Which is supposedly this week, although I am guessing it won't be.

He did mention though that Eircom have to do another line check to make sure I can get it? Which makes absolutly no sense as there has been at least 4 checks now on my line and all of them have passed.

Has anyone actually gotten this UTV/IP yet?

According to the NG, nobody's been connected yet and to make matters worse, they're running on a skeleton crew of staff until tomorrow :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Livingstone

Got my modem during the week and my account was activated yesterday.

Have no complaints at all. Still trying to get used to the speed of it!!!

IMHO, anything that can give €ircom a funt in the nether-regions can only be a good thing, so more power to UTV says I.

Wow! Someone's got it! Congrats Livingstone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

Something strange going on ...
    I detected ADSL on my line this evening (my own Draytek ADSL router) and contacted u.tv support to get the username/password details.

The support supervisor/manager stated that they had exactly zero users provisioned in the Republic and were awaiting their first confirmation from Eircom that a Customer had been connected. He also stated that they had shipped no modems yet.

He promised to inform his Operations Manager (Mr Malcolm Thompson from the apologetic e-mails) that my line had come up so that he could chase Eircom and complete the provisioning.

I'm not optimistic about being connected before the weekend but it would be nice after the wait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 original gadget

Like everyone else, I got the "Dear John" email last week from Malcom saying that I would be up and running "middle to end" of this week.

But.. its now Thursday nite, still no modem, still no username, password. Somehow, I dont think its gonna happen in the next 24 hours.

I'm pee'd off, so say the least. It’s now been 5 weeks. Why did UTV tell us all that they could supply a service when they obviously could not?

Does anyone know what the turn-around time is for Eircom’s product? At this stage I am almost ready to sell my soul to the devil, and just get the service direct from them – at least they can’t go blaming a 3rd party!

Advertisement