Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal Advice please - Nixers

• 02-07-2003 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi lads and lassies.
    well i can now divulge exactly what the "dodgy" opportunity was , and luckily laugh back at it. Selling kirby hoovers door to door. A disaster of a job and my friend has informed me thats its a famous scheme...apparently.

Anyway thankfully I got a job in a warehouse but the hours and days are a little mucky. Still - cash...

This advice I be needin' is simple. I want to do painting and landscaping for the rest of the summer with a mate of mine - nixer style. Is it legal for me to advertise in a local paper or deliver leaflets advertising our services? I will include a name and number for each of us in the ad.

Any advice greatly appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

is that his job? or are you both doin the nixers together?? if it's
    his job, then only put his name & no. in any advert, just to be
    sure kinda thing. i dunno about any of the legal end of things, i'd
    imaging it's not (legal). i'd be weary about leaflets though,
    someone *might* complain and then it could be followed up on.
    ads in the papers shouldn't be a problem though, with the other
    500 odd painters and landscapers out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭curadh

Thanks for the reply.
    No thats not his job. He's in the same boat as me. You need two people at it y'see. I'm not sure if I'll chance it. I know of someone who has done this and got some work out of it, thats why I want to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Just set up as a sole-trader. It's simple to do and costs nothing. You get a VAT number. If anyone checks you out you will be OK. You can advertise all over the place then.

Buy an invoice book and only give out invoices when requested. When you are doing your tax returns just pay tax on those jobs invoiced. If you are only working for the summer that your TFA should be adequate. You can also try and claim back expenses (Advertisements, Lawnmower, etc.)

thegills

Advertisement