Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autopower on/off

• 03-07-2003 12:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭

Is there any program that can automatically turn on/off my pc at certain times everyday ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Turn off, probably.

Turn on is unlikely, because in order for the program to run, the comp has to be on in the first place... chicken and the egg...

Why not give a little more detail on what your after? There might be a not-totally-software solution? Also, what OS? How old is the computer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The easiest way to turn on your PC automatically is by setting a time in the BIOS if your machine's supports the feature. You can also set it to wake up remotely, again if the BIOS supports it. TBH I don't know if there's another way of doing it.

As for turning it off, there are a few programs that do this. There's one called Auto Shutdown that seems pretty popular. I use GetRight to do it (as it can be set to connect to and from the Net at set times & grab files as well as turning off the machine if you like. Won't turn the machine on though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I remember seeing a program that used WOL (Wake On LAN) to power up a PC that was off. Mind you, useless for a stand alone PC, but if you have 2.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭Digi_Tilmitt

Running winxp sp1. Built the pc myself its parts change pretty frequently. Now its a 2800+, w/kt333 mobo. My bios supports automatic powerup but i think it only does it once and then resets itself.

I'm going away on holidays for 2 weeks pretty soon and i want my pc to power up at 18:00 (begining of offpeak time) and to connect to the internet when seti@home needs to and then to shut down at 8:00 the next morning and to keep on doing this until i come back. Don't really have another pc i could use, it would use too much power to leave a second one always on. So any idea's?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You can control some UPS's with a serial cable.

Perhaps some X10 kit to turn on the power...

Perhaps you could use the modem interrupt to power up - ET phone home ;)

Some software will allow you to reset the alarm...

Shutdown can be done by a scheduled command

• Advertisement
Advertisement