Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salary Survey

• 03-07-2003 7:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'm a visual basic developer with approx 4 yrs development experience. I'm currently working for a software house developing web-based applications, using the usual COM, VB6, HTML, Javascript. I've been working savage hours since I started a few months ago. I'm currently on €30000 with no bonuses or other stuff in sight, and I was wondering what was an average salary for someone with my kind experience and doing a similar job.

Just curious.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Going that the market is now totally with the employer then you are doing alright, have 6 years VB and was offered that there with a company in Dublin.
    Salary ranges were between 30k to 36k depending on who you were working with.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

I was on 28K doing C++ JAVA and VB but now after a 6month layoff im in VB and SQL with 3 yrs development experience since april earning a paltry 24K, so dont feel so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

You guys were being screwed.
    I'm contracting so my salary is irrelevant, but out of the permenant guys that work with me in my current company none are on less than 45k.
    1 was just taken on last week, and another a month before that,so the salaries are current.
    They all have between 3 and 5 years vb sql server experience.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    Never stay in one company more than 2 years. It limits your ability to learn new tricks, so you will be less marketable. Always be looking for your next career step( better working conditions, better salary), even when you are in your current company.
    Don't be afraid to walk if the offer is right.
    It will pay off and turn the market to your advantage too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

After 2.5 years C/C++ in Telecoms was on 30K + VHI + etc, got a nice big cheque for redundo, 'walked' into a job on 30k with no benefits doing Java, JSP, etc.

The job is right as I;m learning lots, the salary ain't great would have liked more but I am leaving soon to go round the world!

TBH All the jobs I applied for were in and around this level:

Latest Reson Survey: http://www.rescon.ie/salarysurvey.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

My last permanent job paid nearly E32k, of course that was back in 1997. I'd give my left nut :eek: to get a permanent (and safe) job that paid me 30k p/a at this stage. Last year I think I cleared about 12k contracting (i.e. I didn't work very much).

D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭boo-boo

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer
    <b>
    Never stay in one company more than 2 years. It limits your ability to learn new tricks, so you will be less marketable. Always be looking for your next career step( better working conditions, better salary), even when you are in your current company.
    Don't be afraid to walk if the offer is right.
    It will pay off and turn the market to your advantage too. [/B]

couldn't agree more, after 2 years you need a damn reason to stay in a particular job, if you haven't moved up , or at least across then its certainly time to move.
    Know what I'm talking about here, I was over 7 yeasr in
    one job, big mistake.

But re the salary, I've been for a good few interviews in the last few months, for about 2-4 years VB , COM , ASP , SQL Server experience the offers are in the 25-30 range, & theres no shortage of takers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Oh dear ... this is a very depressing topic! :(

I really hope things start to pick up soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Man I am working in second line support for a mobile company in Ireland and get betweem 23 and 24K...... Just graduated from college with a computing degree, might just stay away from the It sector for a while :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jomoc

At least you have a job!!!

I was made redundant 6 months ago and can't find employment in IT. I've just started working for Bank of Ireland in Banking 365!!!

If you want a reality check on your earnings try .........

http://www.rescon.ie/salarysurvey.htm

Regards,

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

What kind of money does a mechanical engineer fresh out for college make?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Originally posted by commited
    What kind of money does a mechanical engineer fresh out for college make?

A friend of Mine just out of college has started with 27K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 gavin@aria

With so many out of work, it really is an employers market. Salaries for IT positions at all levels are going down, benefits too.

With so many in european countries also out of work, and more likely to be multilingual, and with high mobility (willingness to move to work) its going to get harder not easier too.

G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

With so many in european countries also out of work, and more likely to be multilingual, and with high mobility (willingness to move to work) its going to get harder not easier too.

I respectfully disagree. It is a way too generalised biased statement, based on what you probably wish will happen. Why exactly is the government worrying about an IT skills shortage in the country in a few years time?

There will certainly be a lot of re-adjustment in the industry, to say it's going to get harder is utter tripe in my opinion. I would say certain employers are going to find it a lot easier though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by Sposs
    A friend of Mine just out of college has started with 27K

As a Mech Eng and a manager, I can say this is the exception and €18-22K would be more the norm.

Advertisement