Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

single billing will only apply to esat

Options
  • 03-07-2003 8:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭

why is this not going to be open to all operators, a news story on tv3 said that the single billing arrangement will only apply to esat bt. other operators will have to have a seperate bill for line rental.
    surely some mistake this doesn't make sense surely this agreement has to apply to all operators not just copper fastening the current duopoly

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭query

Eircom made the wholesale offer in June. There are four operators testing it not just Esat BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

Is this Local Loop Unbundling? Or some other simple telephone call wholesaling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

you will get a single bill with LLU anyway.

this service is a sort of billing unbundling without the transfer of the loop to the carrier who bills you.

now I've confuzled myself.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

the problem is that the report said that this would ONLY apply to esat and no other operator
    are the operators forced to negotiate individually isn't this against eu llu regulations ?

ESAT are the only operator who can take the traffic regionally (Eircom has about 11 regional handover points including 3 in Dublin)

The rest would have to pay Eircom (or ESAT) to transit traffic to Dublin and pick it up there thereby negating any LLU advantage

Esat have had some partial LLU lines in operation since this time last year when they first launched their business dsl and are further along the learning curve than any other carrier.

Maybe tv3 mean that only ESAT have the systems in place and the network and the business model to do this ?

M

• Advertisement

You're mixing it at least three different concepts here

LLU - Esat BT unbundle the line and backhaul the traffic through their own fibre and offer the customer DSL.

Bitstream - operators (Netsource, Esat BT) buy eircom's bitstream service, take it off eircom at a regional Pop(handover point)

Wholesale Line Rental - any opertaor - there are four testing - ask eircom to transfer the line in connection with an order for Carrier Preselection so the customer gets one bill for rental and traffic. The operator handles all billing, queries etc.

/me is hungover this morning :(

We are talking about the DELAYED Single Billing product then.

Eircom were given a line rental increase of ....was it 8% ... in early June as part of the introduction process.

Eircom have the line rental in the pocket but we have no single billing option, WTF .

Which four carriers BTW

Esat , Abd Nevada/Energis are two I assume.

who would be the others?

M

No. It was reported in the Times as MCI, Smart and Access Telecom

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

From Carl on utv.support:
    We will be using it ... but not directly. Our carrier will be doing it on
    our behalf.
    I assume that means Energis.

Advertisement