Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pricing for a website re-design. What to include for

Options
  • 03-07-2003 9:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

I have been asked to redesign an existing site for a client.

He is not happy with the overall look & feel of the website.

The shopping cart section is quite messy to say the least. Pics not coming out, bad font, bad alignedment etc. but as far as I know works fine. I now have to provide a price to revamp.

Should I

1. Just price for doing the non shopping cart of the website. (Ask him to get his original designer to update the shopping cart side)

2. Price for completely new site, with new shopping cart

3. Price to update entire website. I am wary of this as i dont have a lot of experience in the E-commerce side. Could there be a lot of problems in trying to fix someone elses mistake. I am very wary of this.

Any ideas would be much appreciated

Thanks

Motm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Personally I would approach it in a way that the customer can trust you.

If you think he is better off redesigning the whole site - tell him that before you propose for it. Tell him the pitfalls you may encounter if you take over from someones work.

Be honest and tell him that its hard for you to support other peoples work especially when it doesnt seem to be up to scratch.

In the end - im guessing its probably cheaper for him to pay for you to redo the whole site rather than charge him for the time you are going to spend mending it.

Whatever happens make sure you are comfartable with the job.

Honesty will win you his respect, more valuable in the long run - but may not give you any great benefits now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

you might as well do the whole site while your at it,no point in adding the site as a reference of your work if the shopping cart part looks crap,it'll reflect badly on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

I have had to edit someone elses code a few times when designing. Im a graphic designer not a programmer.
    Id say you should be ok reformatting the layout and design of the shopping cart system. Just make sure, and i cant stress this enough as its got me out of many a scrape, you back up often so that if you do accidently change some code and break the system its easy enough to go back to a working version.

Advertisement