Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking When Training

• 03-07-2003 9:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

And Yes I Know I Shouldnt

But I do Like a Drink every now and again.

But I have a few Events on Soon and there will be Drink involved so what do you reckon is the best drink so that I dont put the weight back on after training.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭corkviewer

Water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

corkviewer Please dont waste my time:mad:

has anyone anything else to add and a alcoholic Drinks Such as Wine Vodka Etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I guess moderation is the main thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Hip

I don't think it really matters what you drink (lager or spirits), it's the alcohol itself that causes the problems.

I believe the problem is made worse by the way that most of us drink i.e. go out for a session at night and then drunkenly fall into bed. Your liver is still processing the alcohol while you sleep, so you're not getting a chance to burn off the calories, so it stores them as fat.

And that's not taknig into account the 2 AM curry/kebab. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm usually not worried about the calories, more of the effect the drink will have on my ability to train. Going for a run even after just one or two drinks the night before and bed early is torture (although I'm getting fitter and therefore more tolerant to this), sure it's the bloody chemicals in the drink as well as the alchohol itself. Not good drinking after a run either as I have to get re-hydrated during this period. Plus a good night out takes a least a day to recover from (sleep in means difficulty going to sleep the next night).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Hip where did you get that information? It's close but off the mark.

Anyhows, Let's leave aside what we all accept and know.

Alcohol and a late night out can lead to difficulty training for obvious reasons, namely hangovers and reduced testosterone and people eat more junk when drunk. None of this will help you.

Guru - Unofortunately with regards to your question, the outlook is not so good. The calorie content or otherwise of alcohol is not your main enemy. But for the record, I believe a shot of vodka is around 60cals. Anyhows - research has shown that a very small part of alcohol (<5%) is in fact converted into fat. The primary fate is that it is converted into acetate by your liver and released into your bloodstream as a source of fuel.

The problem here is that it jumps the queue so to speak and your body will now burn acetate instead of fat. Therefore, while alcohol will not really add significantly to weight in itself, the major issue is that it will severely restrict your trainings ability to burn fat. The study I'm refering to noted a reduction in fat burning of 73%. And this was after just 2 vodka lemons.

Moderation is better for overall health - but may not save you in this respect so. The answer is to enjoy yourself and step up cardio training after nights out to redress the balance and put yourself back in a position to maintain weight loss. Otherwise you may find other day to day eating/snacking contributing more than usual to your weight.

JAK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Hip

It's just general info I got from mates who were going to the gym to try to lose weight. They were informed that they couldn't continue to drink and just switch from lager to vodka, and that generally weight loss and alcohol don't mix. Wasn't too sure of the facts involved just the general gist of it.

I've also noticed that when I'm hungover, any skill that I possess on the football pitch goes out the window. George Best I ain't...

I've drank while training and still lost weight, the key is moderation as yellum said.

The point is that it is considerably more difficult and that moderation or otherwise you will restrict your bodies ability to burn calories significantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Mr Dj

I go to the gym atleast 3-4 days a week. I was introduced to
    one of me mates, mates who is a proper gym head.

He goes 4-5 days a week and you can cleary see it....

He had stopped drinking but if he was to drink anything when going out it would be either red wine or whiskey or whiskey and
    water.

Curiously i had asked him why he would drink such horrible drinks,
    so he told me it's something to do with the way they are made.
    I cant remember excactly why though.......

if you are to drink anything they are the drinks you would drink if serious about losing weight. obviously on the terms though that you dont just go out and drink 4 bottles of red wine etc, or a bottle of whiskey but say 5-6 glasses of red wine OR 5-6 shots of whiskey i would say would be the max.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Crunch

how DARE you call such two godly drinks horrible??? :eek:
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

When I was losing weight I went of the beer altogether.

But as far as I was concerned Vodka was one of the lowest calorie count as mentioned by Jak.

But yes if you're seriuos.... lay off the drink!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Speaking of ungodly drinks, Andy has mentioned to me several times that I should swap Guinness for one of the Light beers - tried it, but it's muck. Don't think I can do a complete switch.

And you try asking for a pint of Coors Light in Grogans and see what kinda reaction you get...

Al.

Can't believe people are recommending vodka for the health benefits :p

Indeed,

Actually something I am interested in though is the other research on beneficial effects of alcohol. As with much academic stuff, one study will show benefits while another from a different angle will show dangers.

Such as the one that for women over 40 I believe, a glass of red wine per day can prevent heart disease, whereas for under 40's the net benefits were outweighed by risks. I have other vague memories of the positive effects of mild dosages of spirits.

Anyone any info on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Benbaz

Originally posted by Jak
    Indeed,

Actually something I am interested in though is the other research on beneficial effects of alcohol. As with much academic stuff, one study will show benefits while another from a different angle will show dangers.

Such as the one that for women over 40 I believe, a glass of red wine per day can prevent heart disease, whereas for under 40's the net benefits were outweighed by risks. I have other vague memories of the positive effects of mild dosages of spirits.

Anyone any info on this?

Yeah, there was a report out a while ago that stated that French people were less susceptible to heart disease, and it was concluded that the contributing factor was the fact that French people drink a lot more red wine than any other nation. But I think it was more to do with the fact that it was a glass or two a day with dinner and not five bottles over the weekend :)

But having said all that, I would take a lot of those reports with a pinch of salt unless of course they are carried out by an independent body as sometimes the reports can be carried out/sponsored by breweries or Vintner assocciations.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,673 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

As far as I'm aware, red wine and port have the lowest calorie count per gram of alcohol, whereas lager and especially cider - my fav drink :-( are amongst the highest

Advertisement