Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Misleading Advertising/Claims

Options
  • 03-07-2003 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

Err..can Esat really claim this??

EsatAd.gif

What if I want to surf more than 180 hours a month?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

What if I want to surf more than 180 hours a month?

Then ESAT's "Spirit of Service" clause bites you in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

also it doesn't mention that this is a limited offer for three months (price thereafter €30 a month) also it is only that if you sign up in july i where did you see this ad i would definitely report it to the asai

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭raeGten

I really don't think they should be allowed to get away with that. I don't think 'Spirit of Service' allows them to get away with blatant lies!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Thank You

Your complaint has been forwarded to the relevant member of the ASAI staff. You will receive a response in the next few days.

The Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland

anyone else care to complain; takes about 5min in an online formhere

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Where did you see the ad?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

god they are going to be sick of this board - complaint sent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Unless the ad in question is displayed on a non-ESAT owned website then it ain't advertising, kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

Unless the ad in question is displayed on a non-ESAT owned website then it ain't advertising, kids.
    why do you think that? of course it's advertising. what if it was a popup ad that was located on their servers? does the same hold true in real life if they displayed a (licenced) banner on a building they owned? can i put a blatantly false ad in a newspaper i own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

did you also complain that its 25 euro a month and not 20 euro
    but as oceanfree is an esat site i guess they are allowed lie :mad:

• Advertisement

How so? As far as I read the code of conduct....
    Advertisement Promotions
    12.56 Advertisement promotions should be designed and presented in such a way that they can easily be distinguished from editorial material

This is clearly an advertising promotion. And as such would fall under the ASAI codes.

The Codes cover paid-for advertising and sales promotions in Irish-based media e.g. newspapers, magazines, direct mailings, radio, television, cinema, the Internet, posters and outdoor advertising.

It is characteristic of a commercial advertisement subject to the Codes that the advertiser pays or compensates a third party to communicate the commercial message. Advertising that has 'paid- for' space in the media, including the Internet, is covered. It should be noted that, as with traditional media, the editorial or self-advertising content of websites is not covered. Thus the Codes do not generally cover the content of websites other than advertisements in 'paid-for' space within the website.

The ad is clearly in the 'paid-for' section of the website. Given that Esat have about a million different companies - it comes as no suprise that the oceanfree.net domain is registered to:

Registrant:
    Esat BT (OCEANFREE2-DOM)
    Grand Canal Plaza
    Dublin 4
    Dublin, Dublin dublin 4
    IE

And the IOL.ie domain to;

domain: iol.ie
    descr: Ireland On-Line Ltd
    descr: Body Corporate (Ltd,PLC,Company)
    descr: Corporate Name
    admin-c: SC92-IEDR
    tech-c: IOH3-IEDR
    nserver: ns.iol.ie 194.125.2.240
    nserver: ns.pipex.net
    source: IEDR

Therefore two separate companies, clearly a 'paid-for' ad (even if no money changes hands, and subject to the full force of the ASAI - as 'unscary' as they are...:rolleyes:

/me thinks for a bit :/

Quick, Devore - offer 'em a great rate on advertising...10c a week'll do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

The ASAI have the power to fine esat and disallow any newspaper/tv/radio ads by them. I'm sure if it was requested that the internet ad be removed, it would be in esat's best interest to comply.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Anyone hear the Esat radio advert for IOL Anytime yet?

Funny stuff, makes the same "surf as often as you want for a flat monthly fee" statement

No mention of 180 hours, any other references to "limits" or any possible additional cost.

As people may remember from this recent thread, the lack of reference to any possible additional cost was one of the things the ASAI didn't like about the Eircom advert. They were also not amused that Eircom were relying on a quick "Terms and conditions apply" statement at the end of the advert. Guess what the Esat advert closes with? Yup, you've guessed it: "Terms and conditions apply". CLearly breaks the ASAI's advertising standards - it omits crucial details, relies on "terms and conditions apply" as a catchall, and seeks to mislead by not mentioning any limit at all. This one's indefensible.

The ASAI won't like this if anyone (or a few people) tell them through their quick and easy online complaints service available at their website.

Advert was played on Today FM at both 11:42 and 14:08 today by the way (I was in the car spending 3/4 of an hour trying to drive through Kildare at 3 mph)

(times may be handy should you choose to make an online report - you can rely on my good reputation to believe I'm telling the truth about the advert. I'm not telling anyone to make a complaint. Normally I'd advise anyone to make damn sure that it is as the poster thinks it is (no-one wants a repeat of the TV3 thing due to a mishearing of the report). Listen carefully to the advert when it comes on - unless they change it after reading this the necessary legal ingredients will not be present)

edit to account for the "paid for" discussion: obviously this raadio advert is paid for and is in the ASAI's domain.

Now I wouldn't normally do this but hello Eircom execs! You can complain about this too as long as you declare your commercial interest in the matter.

sceptre is very protective about the term "flat"-anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by pete

It is on my.yahoo.com as well

Game on :D

Originally posted by Muck
    It is on my.yahoo.com as well

Game on :D

Bingo.

And they're off.

Acous; MaDSL - I "know this" because i'm one of those strange weirdos who checks their ****ing facts before they go shouting the odds on internet message boards.

http://www.mccann-fitzgerald.ie/legal_briefing/corporate_commercial/advertising_standards.html
    New technologies, new realities

Since 1 April 2002 the Codes relating to advertising standards and sales promotion have been applied to advertising and promotions on the internet, viewdata services and on any other electronic or computer system, recognising expressly what has been the practice of ASAI up to the introduction of the new Codes.

This extension of the Codes to internet advertising and promotions applies only where the relevant website space is paid for. It does not, for example, extend to advertising or promotions on the advertiser’s or promoter’s own website. This limitation reflects the fact that ASAI is concerned only with the actions of members, ie. the advertising industry. Advertising by a member on other websites (perhaps in the form of banner advertisements or through a hyperlink) or payment for a promotion to appear on a third party website, would come within the Codes.

Pete is absolutely correct. ESAT may mislead away on their own website and the ASAI will do nothing about it, putting the same lie in a PAID Banner Ad on Yahoo is misleading under the ASAI regulations.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Dawg

They've changed the one on oceanfree.net to "surf day or night" instead of "surf all you want", didn't check the yahoo one.

Guess they be keepin a close eye on boards...

[edit]
    Didn't see any mention of 'em on my.yahoo
    [/edit]

And I did check my facts before 'shouting the odds'

The ad is clearly in the 'paid-for' section of the website. Given that Esat have about a million different companies - it comes as no suprise that the oceanfree.net domain is registered to:

Registrant:
    Esat BT (OCEANFREE2-DOM)
    Grand Canal Plaza
    Dublin 4
    Dublin, Dublin dublin 4
    IE

And the IOL.ie domain to;

domain: iol.ie
    descr: Ireland On-Line Ltd
    descr: Body Corporate (Ltd,PLC,Company)
    descr: Corporate Name
    admin-c: SC92-IEDR
    tech-c: IOH3-IEDR
    nserver: ns.iol.ie 194.125.2.240
    nserver: ns.pipex.net
    source: IEDR

TWO DIFFERENT COMPANIES...

That makes it an 'Advertisment' and as such it falls under the code you just quoted.

Anyway, just saw Muck's reply...

• Advertisement

Esatchanged.gif

Bloody Hell, that was quick...Fear the power of the boards.

Now I wonder if I can get Tesco to behave...

Originally posted by MadsL
    Given that Esat have about a million different companies

ESAT own both oceanfree and IOL.

You cannot advertise on your own website. Promote, certainly - but not advertise.

edit: Just to clarify: I happen to agree with you - they shouldn't be allowed to get away with it. But the ASAI invariably stick to the letter of the code.

Give it up Pete, or I'll ask Muck to explain Esat's corporate ownership structure...:D

tirelessrebutter.jpg

Originally posted by MadsL
    Give it up Pete, or I'll ask Muck to explain Esat's corporate ownership structure...:D

Ah I see you subscribe to the fingers in the ears, "na-na-na-na i can't hear you" school of debate.

Smart.

HERE WE GO

This animated Gif , found on the notorious Doubleclick paid banner site is the one yáll should specifically complain about once you download it of course

http://ad.ie.doubleclick.net/viewad/596867/anytime_468_bu.gif

It is on heavy rotation thru yahoo.ie

http://www.asai.ie/

bang it into the online form there.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Now now kids, play nice or I'll have to smite someone around the head with a wet lettuce. Misleading advertising is something of a personal crusade with me so I'll be keeping an extra eye on this thread.

(thanks for the location Muck. All doubleclick traffic is blocked for me by Norton so I couldn't even see the link without turning it off)

Pete is correct and you are wrong Madsl

Look at the Bold bits in his post on the regulations.

Dont't tell us , tell the ASAI......FFS

ah buh we're all just big kids here on the interweb really, aren't we

anyways here's the complaint i submitted - did i miss anything?
    The advertisement clearly states that "for a flat monthly charge" of €20 a user may "surf anytime of the day".

Grounds for complaint:

1. This advertisement is misleading as it fails to mention that there is a monthly limit of 180 hours imposed - equivalent to approximately 6 hours per day. A user choosing to "surf anytime" for more than these 6 hours per day / 180 hours per month is subject to extra charges over and above the claimed "€20 flat monthly fee".

2. The advertisement is misleading as it fails to mention that the €20 quoted is a time-limited offer, applicable only for the first 3 months of service.

I trust you will give this matter your immediate attention.

edit: ehhh deliberate mistake edited there. oops.

/me slaps head

• Advertisement

All this arguing finally sent me Insane..

250!!

Advertisement