Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Ireland looking to upgrade another 140,000 homes by the end of 2004

Options
  • 03-07-2003 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

This was also in yesterdays Irish Times and is what NTL told the Oireachtas Committee on Communications the same day that Phil Nolan was lying to them about his non-existant 'fixed' product for €50 a month.

NTL did say that the upgrade plan was subject to Capex approval from head office. They also stated that the Lucan rollout under way at the moment will service 16,000 homes when completed. I understand that the service is available to around 4-5,000 homes in Lucan at present .

The only bad news is that it will probably not be available for €20 a month for 600/128 unless IBB are in the same area with their Navini based service. Regrettably the committee did not press them on the €20 a month service seeing as they told Phil on the same day....more or less....that the public wanted a service at €35 a month.

NTL , with some 7-10% takeup of their service where available is the living proof that there is demand in Ireland for BB at an affordable price. (currently and generally €40 a month for 600/128)

M

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I would gladly pay €40 a month for Cable Internet Access. It would mean being able to do away with my phone line and never have to deal with €ircon again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

The article also said that this was subject to funding from their UK parent which they have not currently got. I would not hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭raeGten

Maybe the funding from the parent companie will be more forthcoming if there's a clear sign of interest from the take up in Lucan. If the comment about the 7 to 10% take up in Tallaght is true then they would expect to have 400 of the 4,000 at the moment rising to 1,600 when they've roolled out to the full 16,000 homes.
    The problem is that the longer they take to roll out the more people will sign up with DSL providers. It's just a shame they can't make it clearer when we can expect to have their service available. I'm constantly being told it's two weeks away. My brother, who also lives in Lucan, has gone over to UTV's DSL service because NTL couldn't tell him exactly when they'd be setup in his estate.
    The lack of a cap is great and the price is hard to beat. It's just the availability and the time it seems to be taking them to reach new estates. Having said all that, I'll be holding out for the next two weeks, and whtever after that too ....whenever they do get to my estate I'll deffinately be signing up with them.

ANd when Navini get to Lucan I'll look forward to the €20 discount too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    The article also said that this was subject to funding from their UK parent which they have not currently got. I would not hold my breath.

First up - I haven't seen the article.

But from reading Muck's post they said it was subject to 'capital expenditure approval' from head office, not funding.

NTL Ireland are profitable after all (aren't they?), and may just be seeking approval to spend those profits on expanding their service rather than repatriating them to pay off .000025% of daddy's debt maintenance...

Advertisement