Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone going to AI BBQ in August?

Options
  • 03-07-2003 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

Its on the 22nd. I know this is no an Astronomy Ireland forum but im just curious. Halenger probably is since he represents them. Anyone else going? I have never been to one before but i decided to book a ticket when i went in the other day to renew my membership.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

Yeh, I probably will. I've went to a few before, but its been a while since I did any observing, exams etc. Plan on getting back into it tho this summer. I'll haul along my 10 inch dob if I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

Originally posted by Saruman
    Its on the 22nd. I know this is no an Astronomy Ireland forum but im just curious. Halenger probably is since he represents them. Anyone else going?

No.

Why? Well Iwas at one before and while there are some knowegeble folk up there to talk to with scopes, you have to pay to stand in a public carpark (that has less of the sky visible each year), with LIGHTS from the food table. Which is all fair enough if you are a beginner and thats what you want I suppose.

However on nearly any given clear and dark friday or saturday night, you can go there for free, usually meet several other folks with big telescopes up there and not have any local light polution (well apart from when I drive in late and blind people with headlights!). You have to bring your own food though :-)

I'll save the 25EUR or whtever it is for the petrol for the trip to Whirlpool :-)

Cheers,
    ~Al

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭kiki

Yes, I will be up there for the first time - my colleague will also give it a go. For a beginner in Astronomy is it worthwhile exercise ? - ANy tips on what to bring ?
    Kiki

Originally posted by kiki
    Yes, I will be up there for the first time - my colleague will also give it a go. For a beginner in Astronomy is it worthwhile exercise ? - ANy tips on what to bring ?
    Kiki

Worthwhile? yes and no. On the plus side you will get to meet some good folks and see some nice equipment. Downsides include, light, very questionable sales advice from some people, having to pay to go to your `societies` observing sessions etc.

As for what to bring. Most importantly for any observing night - warm clothes, gloves, hat & footwear, its can still get cold in august even in that sheltered carpark. A flask of tea/coffee and food. If you have binoculars and a tripod etc, then you can bring them along, but you dont have to, as there are bound to others there who will give you a look through theirs. (Then again I didnt bring a scope to Cosmos this year and the Saturday night ended up being one of the best observing nights I've seen, then its nice to have your own gear!)

Cheers,
    ~Al

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

What happens if it's cloudy or even raining?

Where abouts is the car park where they hold the event?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If its cloudy it will be held on the Saturday and any other friday/sat night till they get a good night. Sign up to the email list for info.. or give them a call.

As for if its worth it? I dont know as i have never been to one. I hope im not dissapointed. Light pollution? Sure from the pics i saw there would be but since i live in the city it will seem very dark to me. Also you can always grab some food, meet some folks and then move away from the crowd to get away from the lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

I've been.
    It is a waste of money to pay to go to a public car park though.
    Bring a flask and a sandwich, then you can stroll around and talk to whoever, or look through some nice telescopes.
    <SNIP>
    Talk to the guys with the good kit and generally they'll give you sound advice.

Please read the forum charter regarding commenting on the merits/dismerits of any organization.
    Redshift

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer

Most of the people are sound apart from the AI guys trying to sell you their crap telescopes.

That's plain and simply a very nasty comment. I count myself as an "AI guy" and I've manned telescopes at the last two Star-B-Qs and I've never pushed scopes at anyone. I explain to them what they're looking thru/what we have if they ask. There are no crap scopes there ever from what I've seen. Whether they are Celestron, DTG, Meade or whatever. I think quite a lot of people will argue with you if you are claiming that Celestron are crap scopes.

About the lights well if all goes well this Star-B-Q is going to be very different from all the previous years. We're looking at better sites at the moment.

Do remember this is a fund raising event. That's why people are paying for it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Oh and I'd have to say my second Star-B-Q, the one last August was the most amazing night I have ever seen. I've never before seen such a beautifully clear sky and the milky way streaking across the sky.

Things to bring would be a chair and warm clothes.

Originally posted by halenger
    I think quite a lot of people will argue with you if you are claiming that Celestron are crap scopes.

But its ok for Astronomy Ireland to declare on their website last christmas that people should not buy meade, helios etc.? ie stuff they do not sell. Thats just bad advice, and the act of a company not a non biased helpful society.
    Do remember this is a fund raising event. That's why people are paying for it.

As I've said before I look forward to seeing this in the Societies accounts at an AGM.

Cheers,
    ~Al

• Advertisement

That's plain and simply a very nasty comment. I cou I think quite a lot of people will argue with you if you are claiming that Celestron are crap scopes.

Well.... from 1998 to May 2002 they were owned by Tasco :-)

Cheers,
    ~Al

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I aksed who was going to the event.. not what people think of scopes and AI in general.. albertw please stop or you will probably be banned from the forum.. see charter!

Since you brought it up though... None of the scopes they sell are "crap" unless you compare a firstscope 60 or something to a nexstar.. then the firstscope is obviously "crap". Go buy a Tasco from argos and you will see crap. On a side note just because Tasco own them does not mean they are tasco scopes!!! BMW own a load of car companies but unless you buy a BMW you will not have a BMW regardless BMW own the manufacturer.

As for not selling meade etc.. so what? The reason they dont sell them has been stated! They felt there were too many faulty goods and stuff like that and so they decided to no longer sell or recommend them. I dont see a problem with it. I notice you have onle owned a Meade scope so since you dont have ownersip experience with celestron then obviously your judjement is biased towards meade.. likewise i have only used Celestron and not meade so im the same :D

If you wish to discuss the merrits of different scopes, manufacturers then start a thread and a poll even... nothing like a good poll :D

If you want to slag off AI then take it somewhere else. Your input in other threads on Astronomy have been welcome so please dont get banned because of politics... That would suck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Look people it's as simple as this the next person to break the forum charter gets banned. I don't want this forum going the way of the old one.

Thread closed

Redshift

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement