Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about dell PSU's

• 03-07-2003 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭

Im just wondering what type of PSU's dell use.
    I read here a while ago ghtat they use special PSU's which when used with a non dell board can cause it to get damaged.

Any truth in this? If so what type do they use/ how can i find out.
    Theres very little on the PSU itself to give me information.

I'm also looking to replace a dell motherboard.
    Its a p III one and Peats said that they are no longer made. (the special smaller sized ones for Dell PC's)
    Any one know where i might get one? or do i just need to get mini pIII mobo. (i've seen some that would fit the case but im not sure if they would attach to it)

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

What's the model, Dimension 4100 etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Had a talk with one of the Dell techs about PSU's and this is a rough summary.

Your PSU will have a connector marked P1 going to the standard ATX socket on the motherboard. Next to this socket look for a 6 pin male connector on the motherboard (which will normally have the P7 connector running into it).

If you motherboard has the second 6 pin male connector then it is one of the Dell oddball PSU's. If it does not have this second connector then it is a standard ATX PSU.

From what he could remember and what I've checked I can tell you the following

Dimension XPS, 4100 - Dell proprietry PSU

Dimension 4400, 4500, 4600, 8200 standard ATX supply.

BTW if you do have a proprietry PSU, you can buy a converter cable to allow use of a standard ATX PSU. He didn't have the details to hand, but if anyone needs this info let me know and I'll chase him up for the details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Occidental: Thats exactly the info i was looking for, Thx!!

I got one of those oddball ones (dimension 4100) so i might give ya a PM if/when i get around to getting this new motherboard.

Thanks again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Then it's probably better to just get an ATX psu than the adaptor cable - it won't be three years old and might have a higher power rating. And then sell the Dell specific one on boards.. - maybe even swap it for an ATX one ...

Might be simplier to just buy a new case and MB and move the drives and cards into it. You could then sell the Dell on or use it as a firewall etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

I have already decided to just get a new psu.

The machine itself is a 900mhz one so it aint too bad for the purposes here in work. The motherboard is dead and was asked to replace it so i wont bother with a new case etc as it would just increase the cost. I've decided to get m-ATX and a new 250w PSU.

Hopefully this will do the trick :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement