Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Disconnecting

Options
  • 03-07-2003 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi,

I seem to be having a problem ever since I reinstalled WinXP on my computer. I have an ADSL connection with EsatBT, and have Connection Sharing turned on (For my laptop, through wireless). The problem however is users logging off on my WinXP box. I have Fast Switching on.. And if for example I have a download going, and my mother uses the internet from her own login, after finishing when she logs off (to bring it back to the welcome screen) it disconnects the dsl connection..

Before when I had No Limits, I could log off and the connection would never die, unless someone explicitly disconnected it by double clicking on the icon.

Any ideas on how I can get back to that system of doing things - as it's becomming annoying when my brothers log off by mistake and my connection dies. Also it's a real memory hog to have all 5 users on my Computer logged on all the time. And my connection is selected to 'Allow all users to use this connection'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Sticky

If your ADSL connection is implemented as a RAS Connection you might be able to fix this by making the following change to the registry (at your own risk):

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    "KeepRASConnections"="1"

Search Google for "keep ras connections after logoff" if you need more info.

There are a few tweak programs that allow you to do this without editing the registry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

Hey,

Thanks for your help - I even checked out the Microsoft knowledge base @ http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;158909

However changing the setting, and rebooting still didnt fix the problem :(

I think it's because that key is for Win2k and NT 4.0 only. It says WinXP, if the connection is accessible by 'Anyone' should leave the connection on when the user switches/logs off.. which it used to do before I reinstalled XP..

Strange, I had it working for me on XP. It poped up a dialog asking if I wanted to keep the connection alive when i logged off.

I will check it out and post back...

Worked for me just now on XP. I had an active (ISDN) connection, logged off and back on and the connection stayed up.

Do you have an entry in 'Network Connections' for you ADSL connection, and if so do you use it to connect?

Yeah, I have the ADSL in my network connections.. what I do is just click connect on it (like a normal dialup) and it's instantly connected.. Ive tried every combination at this stage.. including turning off ICS, messing with the settings, and even deleting and remaking the connection. Im beginning to think it's one of those annoying little things that just 'happens' with Windows.

Sorry for my lack of information with WinXP btw, I hardly use it- more of a OSX user :)

Thanks again

• Advertisement

I found a KB article that might be more appropriate to XP:

Behavior of RAS Connections With the Fast User Switching Feature

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

are you using zonealarm, it freaks out on user switching ...

Nah dont have zonealarm.. Dont know what that is?

I read that KB article sticky, thanks.. it's the same one, according to which I shouldnt be having the problems I am..

Oh well.. Im just getting used to having all users logged on.. Ill be getting a modem router soon.. so wont need to dialup all the time anymore.

I got it working- thanks Sticky..
    That KB doesnt specify that it should be KeepRASConnection - and is case sensitive, otherwise it wont work.

Thanks again :)

np. why do we have to have two cases anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Am if you share your internet connection it won't disconnect if u wanna try that. In the properties of connection you should find it

Advertisement