Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ron Sexsmith - cork gig

• 03-07-2003 2:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭

Semi Lunar & Lobby Promotions present:
    Ron Sexsmith

Sunday 27th July @ 9pm

Just when you thought the last vaguely melancholic singer-songwriter had done warbling, a rare specimen emerges from St Catherine's, Ontario, and what a fine fellow he is. Sexsmith looks like a tousle-haired 12-year-old and sings like Jackson Browne's kid cousin. In fact, he's 31 and has lived through lean, hungry times while labouring at his craft. How happy he must be now, though, for his songs are of a consistently high quality. Sexsmith explores thoughts and feelings; he may not venture too deeply, but goes far enough to let you know he's been there.

For the foot courier turned singer/songwriter, his distinctive sound began to take shape in 1991 on the independently released Grand Opera Lane, followed by a trio of acclaimed Mitchell Froom-produced albums - 1995's self-titled major label debut, 1997's Other Songs and 1999's Whereabouts - and last year's much-praised Blue Boy. While his songs have already been recorded by a wide range of artists, from Rod Stewart to Curtis Stigers, and opera singer Anne Sophie Van Otter, Sexsmith saw the fruits of a milestone collaboration with Glenn Tilbrook appear last year on the Squeeze star's solo outing, The Incomplete Glenn Tilbrook.

Returning to the road in support of Cobblestone Runway while remaining ever in tune to his songwriter's antennae, Sexsmith continues to grow and discover more than a decade after his debut. "I just feel that I've seen a lot of huge-selling albums or artists disappear off the face of the earth," he says. "So I feel very fortunate and yeah, I think I'm singing better than ever now and the songs... they keep coming. So I still feel like I'm coming in to my own."

“Ron Sexsmith's a real talent, a rare talent, and his album is a little treasure” – Q

more info on: www.ronsexsmith.com <http://www.ronsexsmith.com/>

Date: Sunday 27th July

Doors: 9pm

Venue: Half Moon Theatre, Cork
    Tickets: €15

Booking: 021 – 427 00 22

(Tickets in advance from the Cork Opera House)

Advertisement