Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll Best Characters

• 03-07-2003 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

I know that this was discussed earlier but nows the time to put your mouse where your heart is.

BTW I know they're not all here but the ones mentioned most often are.:D

Who is your favourtie Discworld character 60 votes

Carrot
    0% 0 votes
    Cohen
    5% 3 votes
    Death
    1% 1 vote
    Detritus
    30% 18 votes
    Gaspode
    5% 3 votes
    Librarian
    1% 1 vote
    Rincewind
    8% 5 votes
    Vetinari
    6% 4 votes
    Vimes
    15% 9 votes
    Witches
    18% 11 votes
    C.M.O.T. Dibbler
    3% 2 votes
    Igor
    0% 0 votes
    Nobby
    0% 0 votes
    Lu Tze
    3% 2 votes
    Death of Rats
    0% 0 votes
    Sgt. Colon
    1% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

There is a fuller list here :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95753

Does not include any new characters from Nightwatch on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Damn you that was a tough decision.

A fuller list isn't really needed - the winner should (would?) definitely come the choices that are there.

Why should it come from a list that does not conatin Lu Tze or Twoflower, The young men of the Horde etc ??? Then there's Nobby, Colon and Angua missing too.

Because they will definitely get votes but they are never likely to be outvoted by the likes of Death.

For my money the poll could be limited to Vimes, Rincewind, Vetinari and Death.

I know damn well I am leaving out many peoples favourites there but in terms of volumes of votes these 4 are most likely to be there or there abouts at the end.

Lu Tze is an excellent character and I really appreciate him but I don't think he contributes as much as someone like Vimes.

Most importantly - I don't think the polls are capable of having the amount of options that you are looking for.

I think I made the suggestion before of having several polls, each with 8 or 9 characters and then the top one or two of all those polls could then go into the next round of polls. Alas I didn't have the effort to follow through.

Fncking Sheep...

Remind me next time to only invite France, Brazil, Germany and England to the World Cup next time. Well they are gonna be there or there abouts anyways right ? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Carrot?
    i dont know anyone who regards carrot as their favoutite character
    sure he's a major character, but not really favourite material imho.

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    Fncking Sheep...

Remind me next time to only invite France, Brazil, Germany and England to the World Cup next time. Well they are gonna be there or there abouts anyways right ? ;)
    There is a subtle difference there. Statisticaly (with the omission of maybe Italy & Argentina and inclussion of France and England) you have named four of the most successful World Cup teams there. Naturally that is no gaurantee that any of them will win the next world cup - thats why we bother to run the thing.

Polls are rarely as surprising as the real thing. Even if we managed to have a poll that included all 2 or 3 hundred countries registered in FIFA the teams grabbing all the votes would still come down to a top 5 or 6 group of countries.

That is not to say that the winner of the world cup would come from that group of 5 or 6 - just that popular opinion would suggest that it should or might. Certainly I would like to have my chance to vote for Spain but I wouldn't be too disturbed if they were not listed in the poll, I can happily accept that my vote for Spain would be drowned out by people voting for France or Brazil.

This is in much the same way as many (most) people think Lu Tze is a really good character. If the option is there to vote for him he will definitely pick up a few votes. In the "real" discworld if there was some kind of death match contest between the characters Lu Tze could concievably win (or at least get as far as a death match against DEATH himself). But that is real life and this is polls and opinions and at the end of the day as much as I value Twoflower and Lu Tze as characters I just don't think they would be there or there abouts at the end => their omission is not that terrible a thing.

Since Lt Tze can die and then come back, he could conceivably beat DEATH in a deathmatch.

Yeah, with the exception of maybe Rincewind (who would merely just manage to avoid rather than win) Lu Tze is probably one of the only characters who could survive a death match with death.

I'm sure I'm going to be contradicted on that though;) makes for an interesting debate "who can beat death in a death match".

Concievably death would just sit in the ring doing nothing until the appropriate time when the last grain of sand has filtered through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Rincewind. I've never understood why people like him - the Rincewind books are, if anything, the least interesting in the series by a very long way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

DEATH doesn't actualy kill anyone, he just seperates the soul from the body after death. I think he'd be a referee rather then a competitor.

But if he was forced to compete because DEATH is an "ANTHROPOMORPHIC PERSONIFICATION" he cannot be killed. He'd just wait for everyone to die and win by default as he would be the last one standing.

Yes, but Death can be and has been made mortal too. Even Anthropomorphic personifications can die.....

Assasin extrordinare Vetinari would have a decent chance. He almost always gets the better of most characters he comes in contact with - Death and Lu Tze would be a challenge relished for him.

I have no idea where this argument is going:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭bozzie

death would win hands down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭EdBanger

That is such a tought poll grrrrr.... the indesision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i was thinking of the "death of rats"
    i guess death will have to do:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

It was almost a dilema, I am who I am. But Vimes is who I would like to be like. But I am true to my own nature.

As in the arguement, Death would be adjucicator, compeditor and victor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

But who'd win in a fight, Death or DeVore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I would agree with Death of Rats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Added another 6 options to satisfy you malcontents

• Advertisement

Thanks Truckle, very civil of you.:cool:

On side note, Ook! ( meaning "Wan the librarian!")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Vimes wins. Very hard choice. But all my fav characters are in the gaurds series. Vimes Nobby etc. But Vimes is def my fav.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Originally posted by jongore

rofl

Originally posted by jongore

omg the LIES, I am in no way civil i say, IN NO WAY!

/me goes back to his jigsaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

surely death and the death of rats are one and the same?

and anyway, there are far too many classic characters to pick a favourite.
    although i am staggered that someone would just lump all the witches together.
    if thats the case, surey all the watch should be lumped together as well?
    and all the wizards including the librarian?

etc?

etc?

etc?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well there's only 3 witches..

and together they make up "the coven" ;)

the maid, the mother and the.. *cough* other one..

even more reason to have them seperate.....?

The voting so far does not seem to justify seperating the witches (btw there are 4 or 5 witches depending of whether you think Perdita/Agnes are 2 people in 1 body or 1 person with two personalities) The watch has 15 votes between them while the witches have 1.

• Advertisement

lots of people seem to like vimes.
    i think there maybe some homosexual thing going on here
    or hero worship, i cant figure out which :)

Advertisement