Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firefly is kicking ass

Options
  • 03-07-2003 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

Its not a sci fi it not a western, its a good mix

I've enjoyed the ex buffy man new creation on SCI-FI channel and look forward to the series

The development of the characters has been good; leaving the genius girl out to the cold (i.e. not showing special abilities) was clever

Camera work can be annoying but mainly thrilling

Violence is like soprano based. It’s edgy, brutal and quick.

This show rocks and has potential to become classic soon

Can't help compare some elements to Blake 7 though.

;) :cool: ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Might take a look.. i have not bothered with it since any trailers i saw looked pretty boring...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I think it's pretty good.

Too bad it got cancelled already though.

Can someone explain to me why decent shows get axed, and ****e like Andromeda stays on the air?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Ah crap its cancelled?! Did not pick up that information
    It really had potential

Jesus sci fi is left with poxy enterprise and dire andromanda
    Who is funding this rubbish

Its official current TV in all parts of the plant are devoid of a decent new sci fi show now.

I'm actually lost for words and cant curse on the boards so I'm shutting up

HELL
    HELL
    HELL

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Fence

Originally posted by koneko
    Can someone explain to me why decent shows get axed, and ****e like Andromeda stays on the air?

People watched Andromeda, they didn't watch Firefly. I know, makes no sense to me either, although Ihave yet to see any Firefly. Hopefully Sky will get it on the cheap or sommit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Yea, saw it ages ago, I cringed so much when i found out it had been cancelled, i really liked that show.

• Advertisement

Did it get more than one season?

It didn't even get one full season. They'd filmed 2 more episodes but FOX won't show them. They're doing a DVD set though with all the episodes including those missing ones. Will have lots of extras aswell.

I heard some rumours of a Firefly movie but no production has started on it yet and as far as I know the guy that plays Mal has signed up to do a different show so who knows what will happen next.

They've offered the show to a few other stations like UPN (who adopted Buffy after they left aswell) but no one's buying so it's not looking good.

p.s. I'd like to state again for the record that Andromeda is awful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yes it certainly is, but the computer is cute

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

http://www.epguides.com/Firefly/

looks like there was 15 eps in total but only 12 shown..i've seen a few also never really passed it much reguards...

u are right shows like mutant X and andromeda are terrible.it such a pity thet cancel good shows farscape was the same u can really see the difference it had when the sci-fi channel took it over for season 4 they really pumped loads of oney in to it but then they just dropped it

Crazy i tells ya crazy

D.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Farscape got its chance. Sci-Fi put a load of money into it and the ratings continued to fall. It was way too expensive to produce in return for the small number of viewers they got. I guess the problem is that:
    i) It alienated people because it was S4 and there was too much back story to get to grips with
    ii) People are morons and didn't recognise it for what it is.

So Sci-Fi can't be blamed for it so much as the failure of people to watch it.
    On the other hand, they picked up Stargate:SG-1 to run alongside it. SG-1 did far better than they expected so they've commissioned S7 and are very happy with the results currently. I actually like both shows and SG-1 is now the last good sci-fi show still running. Other than we've only got Mutant X, Andromeda, and Enterprise :(

• Advertisement

The way SCI-FI advertise the program here makes you think its going to run forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What sucked as well about cancelling season 4 of farscape was it was really just a lead-up to season 5. Ended on a really crap note as a result. Never got to watch Firefly but if it's from Josh Whedon it must be good. Was afraid to watch it after hearing it got cancelled in case I got hooked on it.

Cool, the Sci Fi airing schedule (they're showing the previously unaired episodes!):

Monday 21st July at 9pm Ep 12 - Trash (World TV Premiere)
    Monday 28th July at 9pm Ep 13 - The Message (World TV Premiere)
    Monday 4th Aug at 9pm Ep 14 - Heart Of Gold (World TV Premiere)
    Monday 11th Aug at 9pm Ep 15 - Objects Of Space (UK TV Premiere - Series Finale)

One week left!!

After watching what every one tells me is the final ep of Firefly I can only think of the Kurgan from Highlander :-
    "Its better to burn out than to fade away"

If theres a way to protest its stop watching the other muck. Dont even try to see if it will get better (ref andr, ST Ent etc.)

This was a good series with some BALLS no fairy dust just BALLS.

Sorry Josh theres no justice left in TV anymore.

If they were ever going to remake Blake 7 this would be a close copy of what I'd expect.

Are you guys sure that this in the end?

Theres gonna be a movie...Theres gonna be a movie...Theres gonna be a movie...Theres gonna be a movie...Theres gonna be a movie...Theres gonna be a movie...Theres gonna be a movie...Theres gonna be a movie...Theres gonna be a movie...Theres gonna be a movie...Theres gonna be a movie...Theres gonna be a movie...Theres gonna be a movie...Theres gonna be a movie...

Now someone is seeing sense in the never land

The "movie" has not yet even entered proper scripting. I wouldn't hold your breath out. :(

I had the R1 box set with 4 unaired episodes in my hands last Friday. I decided not to buy it as it was 50 dollars and I have yet to see an episode. Is it any good? Should I buy?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by ixoy
    People are morons and didn't recognise it for what it is.
    A load of hammy, badly acted shit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Originally posted by ixoy
    Farscape got its chance. Sci-Fi put a load of money into it and the ratings continued to fall. It was way too expensive to produce in return for the small number of viewers they got. I guess the problem is that:
    i) It alienated people because it was S4 and there was too much back story to get to grips with
    ii) People are morons and didn't recognise it for what it is.

So Sci-Fi can't be blamed for it so much as the failure of people to watch it.
    On the other hand, they picked up Stargate:SG-1 to run alongside it. SG-1 did far better than they expected so they've commissioned S7 and are very happy with the results currently. I actually like both shows and SG-1 is now the last good sci-fi show still running. Other than we've only got Mutant X, Andromeda, and Enterprise :(
    In the U.S. Sci-Fi channel fecked Farscape about. I was there when season 4 was airing - about 2/3s of the way through the season there was an announcement as the end credits rolled on an episode that the remainder of the season would be aired the following year. There was a 3/4 month delay before they picked it up again - BBC aired the season finale in the UK before Sci-Fi had resumed the series in the U.S.

They certainly didn't go out of their way to embrace Farscape like they did with other shows. Using "Steven Spielberg's Taken" as an example - they were promoting it at every opportunity for a month before it aired with adverts during every ad break, the week before it started there was a 'making of' documentary and a 'behind the scenes' look at the series every day. Then one day in early December 2002 the viewers of Sci-Fi were subjected to a day of drivel when they showed the entire series in one day. It was complete dirt - the sci-fi fans hated it and the Coronation Street viewer types loved it.

If they had put the same effort into promoting Farscape it may not have been cancelled. Rather than sticking to what the channel was created for they have a tendency to go let's try something that's more "main stream" and end up murdering the quality sci-fi shows they have.

• Advertisement

Really? I had heard they promoted the return of Farscape and that the ratings, when it came back, were lower than ever. That they tried but the numbers couldn't offset its costs.

Now I know they'd promote "Taken" to hell or, for example, the Dune movies (and, I assume, the new "Battlestar Galactica") but I got the impression Farscape got its share. Whatever happened, how bloody frustrating is it that it got cancelled with just one year needed to tell its story?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

ehh.... what gave people the idea that farscape wasn't doing well? They axed it due to high production costs. They wheren't even going to do S4. But decided to. Then on the last day of shooting S4 they got the word that the show was droped. The Show farscape won a fair few awards and was infact going strong. As soon as people found out it was droped there was a HUGE protest about it. People where sending in so many mails (snail and e-mail) that Sci-Fi where having problems with their services. People where even sending in money to fund the next Season!

As for Firefly. I had to download the eps as I dont have Sci-fi. I thought they where great and the show was never given the chance it needed. Not enough promotion in stuff or the fact that it didn't make it past the first 15 or 16 eps means that other channels wont pick it up as there is no point. Its not like they are going to be able to do a S2 of even finish 1 at this stage. All the actors would be under new contracts. The show as axed at the start of last year or something!

They wheren't even going to do S4
    That's not true. The producers of Farscape were given a contract to do Seasons 4 & 5. Then ratings started dropping in Season 4, as the story got more convoluted while the producers were adding in groundwork for the 5th season. Eventually when it came round to it, the Sci-fi channel said they wouldn't give the Henson company all the money they needed to film Season 5. The show wasn't officially cancelled, the contract still stood and the sets weren't destroyed. The henson company offered to do a 13-episode season 5, at cost to themselves but that deal was refused too.

They were ****ed about to begin with anyway, they always got **** air times, their time slots were ****ed about, episodes aired out of order. I only came across 5 minutes of it accidentally in the 3rd season (enough to get me hooked). It was only after they proved themselves in season 3 that they were given decent treatment, but by then the backstory had become amazingly complex so it was practically impossible for newbies to get into season 4. I didn't think season 4 was that great myself, was too busy trying to please everyone, they even duplicated a lot of back story *yawn*.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Hmmmmm....... just watching the rerun of the last buffy on sky right now. Man I am slow on the upkeep.... The preacher in the last few eps was the guy who plays Malcom in firefly... strange that I never noticed that.

Yeah you must be slow on the uptake :D

A load of hammy, badly acted ****?

Is this a statement or a question.

I would class in a close second to Farscape and way above the other mush that hits the screen.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I was referring to Farscape.

Farscape rocks and I've been dying to see Firefly because Josh Whedon knows how to produce the goods. Couldn't see much hope for Firefly though only being shown on the Sci-fi channel. (who watches that channel). If it was shown on a terrestrial channel or Sky One or something, it probably would have been big. Sky One may show some amount of crap, but at least it gets viewing. Imagine how well a good show would do on Sky One.

All of Firefly is out on DVD in the US in one boxset, in case anyone missed that snippet of info (Darko mentioned it):

http://www.playusa.com/playusa.asp?page=title&r=R1&title=138394

Well worth it!

• Advertisement

I decided to order it off play.com as I couldnt be bothered going back to tghe shop I saw it in. It looks good.

Advertisement